Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you deal with abusers?--- For service providers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you deal with abusers?--- For service providers

Comments

• @ftpit

Unless you have them swipped...

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited April 2013

Spamhaus HELPS? Spamhaus pretend to be anti-spam but will blacklist ranges for unrelated things such as fraud, malware, even people listed on their "ROKSO" that they don't like. Spamhaus: Terminate this customer because we told you to or we will make your life difficult.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Maounique said: spamhaus helps too.

We caught port scanners and other scams with their help and from abuse complaints.

This.

@superpilesos said: Spamhaus HELPS? Spamhaus pretend to be anti-spam but will blacklist ranges for unrelated things such as fraud, malware, even people listed on their "ROKSO" that they don't like. Spamhaus: Terminate this customer because we told you to or we will make your life difficult.

But this also is a downside. There is some legitimate blacklisting going on there though.

edited April 2013

@Corey said: But this also is a downside. There is some legitimate blacklisting going on there though.

Maybe 10% is legitimate.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited April 2013

-removed per request -

• @Corey curious what you removed ?

• I was about to get a hefty fine from my DC because of a spammer listed in Spamhaus

• @ftpit said: I was about to get a hefty fine from my DC because of a spammer listed in Spamhaus

It's crazy. People/companies need to stop treating spamhaus like the police, they're nothing but a few people behind an offshore company profiting from this.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@superpilesos said: People/companies need to stop treating spamhaus like the police

We dont, but use them as a red flag and check if it is true.
    Actually, would do the same with the police. Nobody is error-free, especially not the Italian police regarding cyber crime.

• CoreyCorey Member

@ftpit said: @Corey curious what you removed ?

Can't say - that's why it was removed :)

• @Maounique said: We dont, but use them as a red flag and check if it is true.

You don't really have a choice, though. If they don't like a customer of yours, they will ban the single ip, if you don't kick off the customer they will then ban either the single range or ALL the ranges of your company as "escalation".

That is their business and whoever uses them, same as UCEPROTECT and other extort scams out there.
    As a warning , ok, to depend on them, no chance.

• support123support123 Member
    edited April 2013

@superpilesos thats how they can hijack all hosting companies and so got punished by cyberbunker though

• @ftpit said: thats how they can hijack all hosting companies.

Yes! And if the hosting company doesn't comply, they will blacklist the upstreams of the hosting company, and the other customers of the upstreams. Then they have no choice but to terminate you.

• @superpilesossuperpilesos Thats what the DC told me.Everyone should stop using spamhaus,so their tyrannical rule will stop ;)

@superpilesos said: And if the hosting company doesn't comply, they will blacklist the upstreams of the hosting company, and the other customers of the upstreams.

I dont see how this will work unless they blacklist the carriers too. If I have Cogent, say, how will they blacklist it ?

edited April 2013

He meant that they will blacklist your whole IP range or of the DC

edited April 2013

@Maounique said: I dont see how this will work unless they blacklist the carriers too. If I have Cogent, say, how will they blacklist it ?

If you use CDLAN they will blacklist every IP assigned to CDLAN. If you ignore their "reports" for long enough.

• So got ddos torture by cyberbunker ;)

• Spamhaus is bad? Yes, they are, but not the worst, either.
    Anyone want to talk about APEWS? Half the internet is blacklisted by them as spammers :)

@superpilesos said: If you use CDLAN they will blacklist every IP assigned to CDLAN. If you ignore their "reports" for long enough.

As I said, then will get own deals with the carriers.
    Indeed, the blame is at those that use them. I used to have UPC at my old job and that is listed in level 3 UCEPROTECT. I was successful in explaining their scheme to any admin I talked to. There werent many tho, about one incident a month.

• @Maounique said: As I said, then will get own deals with the carriers.

If you look at what happened recently, it was all because one DC got terminated by big carriers due to spamhaus

edited April 2013

@superpilesos said: If you look at what happened recently, it was all because one DC got terminated by big carriers due to spamhaus

Well, their loss, one more like this and spamhaus will no longer have the credibility it has, big carriers cant only do politics, they need business too.
    I am sure spamhaus will lose in the long term, the more power they have the more will abuse it after a "win".

• Anyone tried Barracuda's RTBL? Apart from running your own, is there anything decent that people can use to start building their own blocklists?

edited April 2013

Only time will tell,but if they keep getting more ddos or biggger ddos than currently (highest at 300gbps),so nobody will host them.Only cloudflare(The internet Batman) saved last time.

• CoreyCorey Member

lol... they are hitting him hard ...

As of 09 April 2013 the ISPs with the worst Abuse Departments and consequently the worst reputations for knowingly hosting illegal spam operations are:

cb3rob.net Number of Current Known Spam Issues: 127

• Suspend. Then requires a scanned national ID to unsuspend.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

A pack of dingos!

• here is something interesting
    http://vpsantiabuse.com/

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@ftpit said: here is something interesting

http://vpsantiabuse.com/

That looks very handy, might have to look at rolling that into production. Anyone else here used it?