Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

manage iptables rules through web interface
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

manage iptables rules through web interface

dnwkdnwk Member
edited April 2013 in Help

Do you have any suggestion on some systems that could manage iptables rules through web interface? I know webmin can do that. Is there any alternative?
Thanks

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I think Ajenti can do that.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@jarland said: Ajenti

Their interface looks beautiful. Is it stable?

@dnwk said: Is it stable?

It's pretty simplistic, I think that alone makes it stable. Just not enough there to increase potential failures. I'm not sure about security though, for peace of mind I'd probably firewall off it's port to a handful of IPs.

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited April 2013

@dnwk said: Their interface looks beautiful. Is it stable?

The core is. The modules sometimes crash, but that can also be because I run it on Arch Linux.

And, what is wrong with the command line?

• @Raymii said: The core is. The modules sometimes crash, but that can also be because I run it on Arch Linux.

I can confirm it not just Arch. I have tried Centos and Debian they crash there as well. There is not development for it anymore and it is a shame really.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

here are some examples of GUI for iptables, both web and others
    http://www.iptables.info/en/iptables-gui.html

• @dnwk get used to CLI iptables is invaluable IMHO but there are alternatives..

@natestamm said: get used to CLI iptables is invaluable IMHO but there are alternatives..

Yeah, and it's really not that bad. Learn what a chain is, the difference between insert and append, difference between accept, drop, or reject, how to target protocols and ports, you're pretty much done with iptables 101.

• Use CSF? They have a standalone web interface you can install.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@jarland said: Yeah, and it's really not that bad. Learn what a chain is, the difference between insert and append, difference between accept, drop, or reject, how to target protocols and ports, you're pretty much done with iptables 101.

Well, it's shame that leaseweb's vm don't have out-of-band access. In case I made a mistake on firewall rule, I need to wait for their support team.

edited April 2013

@dnwk said: Well, it's shame that leaseweb's vm don't have out-of-band access. In case I made a mistake on firewall rule, I need to wait for their support team.

That's a pretty darn fair point. Perhaps also be sure to keep a rule at the top of your input chain for a VPN or two.

• twaintwain Member

You can configure iptables thru Webmin. Works fine.