Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Separate Mail server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Separate Mail server

2»

Comments

• @drmike said: The install of exim4 that gets installed with lowendscript is setup not to accept mail for example. At least it wasn't for me.

The default setup for all MTAs / distros that I've had experience with is secure -- in the sense that it doesn't create an open relay. It's up to the admin to make it insecure ;)

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited December 2011

I just wanted to mention it because it I had thought all that time, it had been processing mail.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited December 2011

@drmike said: The install of exim4 that gets installed with lowendscript is setup not to accept mail for example. At least it wasn't for me.

@sleddog said: The default setup for all MTAs / distros that I've had experience with is secure -- in the sense that it doesn't create an open relay. It's up to the admin to make it insecure ;)

I'm sorry, but I don't really get it. AFAIK open relay means an MTA is configured to allow anyone in the internet to send e-mail through it.
    but an MTA installed to not accept any e-mail?
    Did you meant it does not accept any e-mail except from Localhost? or Did I miss something?

• I'm sorry, I may have confused things. I read drmike's comment as a security-related comment (hence my reply), but maybe that's not what he meant.

An MTA can be configured to listen only on 127.0.0.1 and therefore be unreachable from anywhere outside. This might be desirable if you want a send-only mail setup. This is what the lowendscript does (apparently).