Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free geo-located DNS hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free geo-located DNS hosting?

Hey guys,

I was looking for some type of geo-located DNS hosting for my HA cluster. I heard Rage4 had it, but they're phasing out free accounts. I've also heard that NSOne does, but I can't find it :( Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• busbrbusbr Member
    edited October 2016

For NSOne just register. I think you are defaulted to their free 'Startup' plan.

I use Route 53 for my production stuff, and it's cheap enough for me (being billed <$1/mo.), especially with all those free AWS credits floating around (Got ~$600 already).

• busbr said: For NSOne just register. I think you are defaulted to their free 'Startup' plan.

Yes, I have their "Startup" plan, but I can't find where GeoDNS is :(

busbr said: especially with all those free AWS credits floating around (Got ~$600 already).

:O Where?

• Use DO DNS, it even allows white labelling.

• I use Route 53 for my production stuff, and it's cheap enough for me (being billed <$1/mo.), especially with all those free AWS credits floating around (Got ~$600 already).

Where ?

• arpanjot said: Where

I heard Amazon cut down on the free credits :(

WhizzWr said: Use DO DNS, it even allows white labelling.

I don't have a DigitalOcean VPS with them, so AFAIK I can't use it

Thanked by 1arpanjot
  • @karatekidmonkey said:

arpanjot said: Where

I heard Amazon cut down on the free credits :(

Quite the opposite in my experience.

Total Amount of Credits Remaining: $761.51

The recent stuff you've been able to use 2 on a single account, before it was just one. And they've had lots of events recently.

• TomTom Member

I personally use Zilore, which is free (for now)

• HackedServer said: Quite the opposite in my experience.

Well, I can't seem to find any free credits (if you'd like to help, PM me).

• @karatekidmonkey said:

HackedServer said: Quite the opposite in my experience.

Well, I can't seem to find any free credits (if you'd like to help, PM me).

I don't know how to get them for free without going to the events, I buy them at about 10% their value. My point was that they still give out lots of free credits at their events.

• HackedServer said: I don't know how to get them for free without going to the events, I buy them at about 10% their value. My point was that they still give out lots of free credits at their events.

Oh, okay :/

None of their events are anywhere near me, so I'm not going to take a 500 mile trip just to get AWS credits. Where do you buy the credits?

• I would definitely suggest Route 53 from Amazon they are great and provide a top notch service.

• elgselgs Member
    edited October 2016

I don't think technically it makes much sense to hack geo-location on the DNS server. Since the DNS resolver could help to cache the result locally, therefore if the clients get the query result from a cache, the geo-location doesn't make sense at all.

• elgs said: I don't think technically it makes much sense to hack geo-location on the DNS server. Since the DNS resolver could help to cache the result locally, therefore if the clients get the query result from a cache, the geo-location doesn't make sense at all.

No, that's not what I mean. I have two servers in OVH BHS and OVH RBX, and I want people who go to the site be taken to the BHS one if they are closer to it, and vice versa.

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited October 2016

To apply for the AWS startup code you need to have a legit business going on, of course you could lie your way through the forms, but you would risk putting your account in huge negative balance if the credits are revoked, since AWS account requires credit card upon creation you would also max out your CC.
    Definitely not recommended.

If you do indeed have a legit startup e-mail some of your local startups they might give you some clues...

@elgs said:
    I don't think technically it makes much sense to hack geo-location on the DNS server. Since the DNS resolver could help to cache the result locally, therefore if the clients get the query result from a cache, the geo-location doesn't make sense at all.

Even though the geo-located result is cached it is still geo-located. Or did I misinterpret your question and you thought that the question revolves around location of the DNS server itself?

• programerprogramer Member
    edited October 2016

@Yoda said:

>

How is Zilore service, is it working fine? Is it free service or to be a paid service soon?

• TomTom Member

@programer said:

@Yoda said:

>

How is Zilore service, is it working fine? Is it free service or to be a paid service soon?

Using it for a few months now, has been nice; no problems yet. It's free for beta, but when I signed up it said all beta accounts would be free forever (doesn't anymore so I'm unsure)

Thanked by 1programer
  • programerprogramer Member
    edited October 2016

@Yoda said:

Using it for a few months now, has been nice; no problems yet. It's free for beta, but when I signed up it said all beta accounts would be free forever (doesn't anymore so I'm unsure)

Great, will give a try, is it operating from Russia?

• TomTom Member

@programer said:

@Yoda said:

Great, will give a try, is it operating from Russia?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09663351

Thanked by 1programer
  • Ok so its a company registered in UK but the owner is of Russian origin, great. Will give a try.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • May be useful to you https://www.cloudns.net/

I use their paid version and they've been good to me over the past year or so.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @ricardo

ClouDNS is really good, but iirc geodns isn't available in the free plan :(

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2016

karatekidmonkey said: ClouDNS is really good, but iirc geodns isn't available in the free plan :(

Not sure if you have service with us, but our free hosted DNS is powered by ClouDNS (their anycast plans).

• Awmusic12635 said: Not sure if you have service with us, but our free hosted DNS is powered by ClouDNS (their anycast plans).

I don't, unfortunately. I believe that I have had a chat with you on your live chat though?