Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv4 AND IPv6 on Online Dedi w/ Proxmox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv4 AND IPv6 on Online Dedi w/ Proxmox

After beating my head repeatedly on the same rock, I am reaching out for help. I have an Online.net dedi (recent special, of course). It's running Proxmox and I have some failover IPv4s. IPv4 is working just fine with the VM I've set up on it so, no problems there.

Using instructions I've seen here and elsewhere, IPv6 is working on the host node. However, I have tried everything to get IPv6 working on the VM (KVM instance) and, I can't get it to ping out. I was wondering if anyone has been successful doing this (using both IPv4 and IPv6). Every tutorial/solution I have seen seems to be for IPv6-only configurations.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Comments

• LunarLunar Member
    edited October 2016

Not sure how IPv6 works with online.net but have you tried putting this in /etc/sysctl.conf

net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1

• No success adding IP with ip?

• Did you configure a bridge on your host node?

• @k0nsl said:
    No success adding IP with ip?

Well, here's what I did (on the KVM instance -- X's just to mask the IP)

iface ens18 inet6 static
          address 2001:bc8:XXXX:XX1::
          netmask 64
          post-up /sbin/ip -f inet6 route add 2001:bc8:XXXX:XX0::1 dev ens18
          post-up /sbin/ip -f inet6 route add default via 2001:bc8:XXXX:XX0::1
          pre-down /sbin/ip -f inet6 route del default via 2001:bc8:XXXX:XX0::1
          pre-down /sbin/ip -f inet6 route del 2001:bc8:XXXX:XX0::1

when I ping the interface, I see that it's configured:

root@myvm:~# ping6 ::
    PING ::(::) 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from ::1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.014 ms
    64 bytes from ::1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.025 ms
    64 bytes from ::1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.025 ms

However, when I try pinging outside, I get nothing.

root@myvm:~# ping6 ipv6.google.com
    PING ipv6.google.com(par03s14-in-x0e.1e100.net) 56 data bytes
    ^C
    --- ipv6.google.com ping statistics ---
    18 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 16999ms

• @Lunar said:
    Not sure how IPv6 works with online.net but have you tried putting this in /etc/sysctl.conf

net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1

I did. However, after doing so, it seems like my IPv6 setup on the host would cease to work.

• @elgs said:
    Did you configure a bridge on your host node?

Do you mean in addition to the one created via the Proxmox install? No, I didn't. Perhaps I am just spoiled by OVH. Getting IPv6 working there is a breeze.

• Please pates your /etc/network/interfaces, and perhaps we can help you.

• @jaypeesmith said:
    After beating my head repeatedly on the same rock, I am reaching out for help. I have an Online.net dedi (recent special, of course). It's running Proxmox and I have some failover IPv4s. IPv4 is working just fine with the VM I've set up on it so, no problems there.

Using instructions I've seen here and elsewhere, IPv6 is working on the host node. However, I have tried everything to get IPv6 working on the VM (KVM instance) and, I can't get it to ping out. I was wondering if anyone has been successful doing this (using both IPv4 and IPv6). Every tutorial/solution I have seen seems to be for IPv6-only configurations.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Interesting.

Have you tried https://forum.online.net/index.php?/topic/4729-howto-ipv6-using-dhclient-for-ubuntu/#entry30969 ?

Works fine after adding my DUID.

• @ALinuxNinja said:

Interesting.

Have you tried https://forum.online.net/index.php?/topic/4729-howto-ipv6-using-dhclient-for-ubuntu/#entry30969 ?

Thanks but, is this a setup for the host node or the VM? I have it working on the host node but not inside a VM.

• edited October 2016

@jaypeesmith said:

@ALinuxNinja said:

Interesting.

Thanks but, is this a setup for the host node or the VM? I have it working on the host node but not inside a VM.

Yep, just add
    net.ipv6.conf.vmbr0.accept_ra = 2 to /etc/sysctl.conf on host node and reload with sysctl -p

Note that I use different ipv6 subnets on my VM and Proxmox and the VM is bridged to vmbr0

• @ALinuxNinja said:

@jaypeesmith said:

@ALinuxNinja said:

Interesting.

Yep, just add
    net.ipv6.conf.vmbr0.accept_ra = 2 to /etc/sysctl.conf on host node and reload with sysctl -p

Note that I use different ipv6 subnets on my VM and Proxmox and the VM is bridged to vmbr0

I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.

• jaypeesmithjaypeesmith Member
    edited October 2016

@ALinuxNinja just wanted to say thanks. I finally got it working (after I realized that I needed to create /64 subnets to use in my virtual machines).

• @jaypeesmith said:
    @ALinuxNinja just wanted to say thanks. I finally got it working (after I realized that I needed to create /64 subnets to use in my virtual machines).

No problem, glad i could help