Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Windows 8 Tablet?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Windows 8 Tablet?

BrandonBrandon Member
edited April 2013 in General

I am looking for a Windows machine that is in a small / portable form factor (this is a must!). Therefore, it seems a Windows 8 tablet would be best for me. I've been eyeing the Surface Pro and wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were on which tablets I should consider.

Comments

• Did you really just use the words 'best' and 'Windows' in the same sentence? ewwww.

• @Brandon said: I am looking for a Windows machine that is in a small / portable form factor (this is a must!). Therefore, it seems a Windows 8 tablet would be best for me. I've been eyeing the Surface Pro and wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were on which tablets I should consider.

iPad Mini.

• Lumia?

• An Asus tablet

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

From what I have seen the surface pro will probably be your best option.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@mnpeep said: iPad Mini.

I love how you people read the thread and answer the OP's question

• jeffjeff Member

I own a Surface Pro, I would get an asus or yoga. why? try them

• @netomx said: I love how you people read the thread and answer the OP's question

I love how you take answers so seriously.

• @netomx said: I love how you people read the thread and answer the OP's question

isn't it possible to reformat ipad mini to win8?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@mnpeep said: I love

there, fixed.

@jcaleb said: isn't it possible to reformat ipad mini to win8?

i dont know, i dont really think you can... they have cracked the bootloader? :o

• Lenovo will release a new tablet/laptop. X series rock.

• mysql> select model_name from windows8_tablets where review_score>0;
    Empty set (0.01 sec)

• Windog? I think you can go with surface...
    Or just find something similiar cheaper so you can drop it anytime when it goes "not responding"

• prae5prae5 Member

I am a mac whore (Macbook, Macbook Pro, iPhones, iPads, iMac and a variety of iPods), however the Surface pro is a great bit of kit and I loved playing with one for the couple of weeks I had it.

I've been thinking about getting a Macbook Air for a while, but think I will take a punt on a Surface pro this time round.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Yeah I dunno about tablets, but I have a Lumia 920 and I really love it! Not a bad device at all!

• RophRoph Member

Why not get a laptop?

• @Roph said: Why not get a laptop?

Exactly, get a netbook, way more productive than some fancy pants tablet.

• Off Topic:- Did anyone tried the new FireFox 20 and its new Download Feature/Function.

• X230t?

• My school district recently got a Dell XPS that has a touch screen that rotates, making a tablet one way and a normal laptop the other. It's thin enough that it can be used like a laptop or a tablet easily, and since it's really a full laptop, the battery life is pretty darn good. Its also pretty powerful.

• @jcaleb said: isn't it possible to reformat ipad mini to win8?

Not sure, but why would you want to? I'm not a big tablet person (any tablet) to begin with. Having owned an iPad 2 for a short while, I quickly learned that while tablets are 'neat' they're not super practical unless you don't have a laptop.

Though in regards to Windows 8, my room mate got a new Windows 8 laptop. I haven't used Windows in years and my first thought was, "This would be better as a tablet OS because it's horrible as a desktop/laptop OS".

• MeeMee Member

@MannDude said: Though in regards to Windows 8, my room mate got a new Windows 8 laptop. I haven't used Windows in years and my first thought was, "This would be better as a tablet OS because it's horrible as a desktop/laptop OS".

I don't think there's anything wrong with Windows 8. I got it on my new laptop and it's faster than Windows 7. People complain about the Metro interface and all that but nobody is forcing you to use it.

@MannDude said:
    Not sure, but why would you want to? I'm not a big tablet person (any tablet) to begin with. Having owned an iPad 2 for a short while, I quickly learned that while tablets are 'neat' they're not super practical unless you don't have a laptop.

I think it depends on use. For simple things like checking email, going on a website, and a few games, a tablet works fine. I've tried programming on my tablets before and while it works, Android and iOS are not the best operating systems for it.

• Grab a Windows 7 tablet and install Windows 8 on it. For example you can buy Iconia W510 with APU (so-so CPU and more than average GPU, enough to play Warcraft or so) with decent price ($300 I guess), and install Windows 8. Much better than the new version with weak Atom CPU.

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited April 2013

@martip07 said: An Asus tablet

I already have one but I'm not too thrilled about it. Windows is also a must as I have programs that just won't run on any other operating system.