Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building own home server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Building own home server?

xrzxrz Member

Those stuff i found on amazon/ebay which goin fit my cpu power need

CPU - 2x Intel XEON E5-2670 2.6 GHz 20 MB 8-Core CPU Processor SR0H8 115W 2011Socket --> 16 cores & 32 threads for just ~160€

MotherBoard - SuperMicro X9DR3-F thats about ~450€

But which case to choose? Ram? HDD? pls help :)

Comments

• What is the intended usage of the server? That's a lot to pay for a home server if you don't need that much power.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited October 2016

@Ishaq its not so much in compare i pay for dedicated server in month for about 300€, so i want to create own server and connect to my home 500mb/s, usage -> sites, and also up&dl

@FredQc thx

• Keep in mind a SuperMicro server is not quiet, at all. Hope you have a closet far away from your bedroom to store it :)

• @xrz said: @Ishaq its not so much in compare i pay for dedicated server in month for about 300€, so i want to create own server and connect to my home 500mb/s, usage -> sites, and also up&dl

Maybe you need to ask yourself why you're being charged 300 EUR per month, how much will it cost you for the power and bandwidth you need? Residential power suppliers are definitely going to be more expensive than wholesale rates that datacenters get.

There's a few things to factor in before making a decision like this but in the long run owned hardware is cheaper for sure.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

If you are going to keep that machine close to you, don't choose a server board. Use a desktop board. A server is exactly like PC.

• xrzxrz Member

@nathanlopez said:
    Keep in mind a SuperMicro server is not quiet, at all. Hope you have a closet far away from your bedroom to store it :)

SuperMicro is JUST motherboard not whole server :D probably i will not go with SuperMicro motherboard :) just need to find one for that cpu

Thanked by 1nathanlopez
  • xrz said: SuperMicro is JUST motherboard not whole server :D probably i will not go with SuperMicro motherboard :) just need to find one for that cpu

Ah, thought you meant an actual Supermicro chassis as well, haha. Good luck with your setup, sounds fun!

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited October 2016

@nathanlopez said:
    Keep in mind a SuperMicro server is not quiet, at all. Hope you have a closet far away from your bedroom to store it :)

SILENCE the fans. Tear them out and void warranty

(I'm not responsible for damages lol)

Thanked by 1nathanlopez
  • @doghouch said:

@nathanlopez said:

Thanked by 2Anna_Parker jvnadr
  • @linuxthefish said:

@doghouch said:

@nathanlopez said:

best server rack ive ever seen!
    custom cooling system keeping temp of 3 degrees

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • I have a Dell Powervault dp 500 at the house I use on occasion, Mostly for in home Storage, and Backup. I dont leave it on all the time as the cost would be much, and IT generates alot of heat. But it is nice to have for inhome storage, plus I only bought it for $80 with three other servers, one was old and not worth to keep for parts, the other two I am able to use and are good rack servers.

I would never recommend hosting your website on your home server. the speed, reliabilty, and power cost outweigh the value.

• As everyone else has stated, power & heat can be killers when running home servers.

I have two servers running 24/7, one running as a NAS and another running as a Hyper-V server - each use desktop CPU's and down clock where possible. Even so, I keep them in another room where I do not air condition as the heat load alone during the summer will murder my power bill. Power usage on their own it still ~$25-50 a month to keep my servers and workstations all running.

I would skip the CPU's you noted and grab some "cheap" Intel I5's or I7's...there really isn't a need for a fancy Xeon CPU or Supermicro motherboard IMO. If you were colocating the server, absolutely get a Supermicro so you have IPMI, but at home just hook up a keyboard & monitor.

Thanked by 1telephone
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2016

Don't bother with rackable server hardware for the home, just get a good spacey desktop case and build a computer (to use as a server) out of components yourself. Can go for large heatsinks and slow fans, and make the entire thing very quiet.

• @linuxthefish said:

@doghouch said:

@nathanlopez said:

That's some beautiful sh*t

• Why dont you try these Quanta :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANTA-WINDMILL-SYTEM-2-NODES-4x-XEON-EIGHT-CORE-E5-2670-2-6GHz-256GB-RAM-NO-HDD-/131956176986?hash=item1eb933785a

I read they are excellent. I wanted to colo these, but no DC has these racks.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I setup a i3 6100 with 8gb ram and a cheap asrock motherboard, has been running for 3 months now with no issues, mainly use it for Plex.