Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ongoing malware attack targeting Apache hijacks 20,000 sites - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ongoing malware attack targeting Apache hijacks 20,000 sites

2»

Comments

• All the current OS X and Linux malware only infect the users home folder unless you give over your sudo password. On Windows, how many privilege escalation vulnerabilities have there be? 10000s.

Linux and OS X are much more secure at the core than Windows, a lot inherited from UNIX.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Some OpenVZ hosts want a punch in the face imo, so many templates 'minimal' with apache and bind9 and samba installed out of the box.... are you high? make some god damn effort.

• NevilNevil Member

This is another perfect reason not to use Apache!

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited April 2013

At least Apache has proved itself overtime :p But seriously Apache isn't that bad <3 :p

But, shall I take my sites down?!
    As I know that LOTS of hacking spiders had found their way to my logs since long time ago.
    And how to patch that issue??

• dnomdnom Member

But this is not proven to be an Apache vulnerability right? The attackers gained root access, they just happened to target Apache to distribute their malware. I guess if nginx has a bigger market share they would have written an nginx module instead/also.
    That said, I <3 Nginx :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@dnom said: The attackers gained root access,

No, there is a wordpress vulnerability as someone said and apache has more features, one of them is used to load the code.
    From what i know this is not an escalation of privileges, the code exploits only apache to deliver the payload.