Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Direct China bandwidth, do you really need it? Why? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Direct China bandwidth, do you really need it? Why?

2»

Comments

• @netomx said:
    Btw, is it better CU or CM for a sim card for my China trip next week?

Simcard not much different, CU should have better coverage.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2016

Telstra Global IP transit (not Pacnet) and handoff at Telstra PoP in Mega-I HK with 100M costs 'Commit Per Mbps price: $60/M'. Per Mbps burst rate is at higher costs.

Price is on 12 months contract term and excludes local loop charge.

I don't think the HK market is suitable unless you can purchase at 1GE+ commits.

TeliaSonera HK has better deals but that is without any direct peering with mainland ISPs.

With Flag Telecom in HK, the cost is also much lower than Telstra but for users in China, they will be routed through NTT JP.

Verizon HK is also very expensive on low commits (less than 100Mbps).

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

deployvm said: Telstra Global IP transit (not Pacnet) and handoff at Telstra PoP in Mega-I HK with 100M costs 'Commit Per Mbps price: $60/M'. Per Mbps burst rate is at higher costs.

Telstra are offering much much cheaper rates ATM. Who's paying $60 /Mbit?

They will do as little as US$2.50 /mbit on a 1G commitment. Which is really quite good. But they only do 10G ports which means the local loop costs as much as the 1G commitment so it's expensive unless you have a rack at Mega-I.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

Telstra are offering much much cheaper rates ATM. Who's paying $60 /Mbit?

It was quoted through HKCOLO but I am pretty sure it includes peering with CT/CU through Telstra.

However, this is on a very low commit of 100Mbps.

In Telstra Australia, the traffic rates are similar.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

deployvm said: I am pretty sure it includes peering with CT/CU through Telstra

Ah. If that is the case then I guess it's normal. The $60 /mbit rate was standard with Pacnet and I assume Telstra Global is basically the same now.

The $2.5 offer excluded China. I guess that was a service more like that offer by Cogent / HE.net who both offer <$2 /mbit in HK on Gbit commitments.

• tamicrealotamicrealo Member
    edited October 2016

@netomx said:
    Btw, is it better CU or CM for a sim card for my China trip next week?

CM has the best coverage.

BUT do get CU (wcdma+LTE), that's much more common for most phones.

CT CM are fine when 4G is available, however different band on 3G signal.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I always use CU, works good on LTE. Thanks for the tip

• I am using CU at china too.