Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will SOPA affect LEB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How will SOPA affect LEB?

PaulPaul Member
edited December 2011 in General

Any insights about how this bill can affect the providers and LEB users.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited December 2011

I haven't actually read what this bill says, but i guess it will affect the majority of LEB users in the same way as DMCA affects them - i.e. not at all.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited December 2011

This only affects american based companys, If this bill goes through then I think having VPS Locations in USA would be a bad Idea.

And in regards to LEB, Doesn't this make the holder of the website responsible for all content users generate so I think the LEA will not have any problems. Considering the majority here are mature and the discussions that take place here are just revolved around Offers,Tutorials,Help,General Discussion.

I have not been here long but I have not seen any spammers so far.

• @EaseVPS said: And in regards to LEB, Doesn't this make the holder of the website responsible for all content users generate so I think the LEA will not have any problems.

LEA won't have any problems anyway because as far as i know he's Australian so he can just ignore SOPA.

• Sure, LEA can Ignore it.
    However the provider cannot.
    IP Location: United States - Illinois - Chicago - Hosting Services Inc
    ^^ LEB

• The registrar of lowendbox.com, New Dream Network, LLC, is also in the United States & can't ignore it also.

• Fortunately LEB is not a warez site, there are no mp3s and movies for download here, so the site should be OK.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @rds100 said: Fortunately LEB is not a warez site, there are no mp3s and movies for download here, so the site should be OK.

You may want to review the possible law. LEA talks about some providers who use hacked copies of WHMCS, CPanel, and other softwares. He would still be at fault for linking to them.

@EaseVPS said: I have not been here long but I have not seen any spammers so far.

Yup, you're new. :)

Many providers here have commented that offers made here encourage abusers such as spammers to sign up with their service. I know I've discovered a couple dozen this year and reported them as well.

And heck, some providers are known spammers as well.

• You guys and gals are cancelling your Mastercards and Visa too, right?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/the-439-organizations-sopa-opponents-should-worry-about/

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited December 2011

In case anyone else wants to review what's being talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

• edited December 2011

Buyvms business will be largely crushed un less they pull out of san jose to canada. Most of buyvms clients are asian and use buyvm as a way to escape censorship not for more of it! It will affect everyone in every country don't be fooled.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

SOPA - Smelly old people's association.

If SOPA comes into action there are going to be global riots, rightly so.

• @net said: as a way to escape censorship

Their own censorship from the GFW. The biggest VPN usage for our Chinese clients are things like Hulu, Youtube, Facebook, etc. Though granted, yes, this is something we'll need to plan for.

• @Aldryic ofcourse they do but I'm sure they'll crackdown on ips which can view hulu next. Hopefully canada won't follow suit.

• @Aldryic said: Though granted, yes, this is something we'll need to plan for.

I doubt SOPA lives to get out of comity.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited December 2011

@Infinity said: If SOPA comes into action there are going to be global riots, rightly so.

I believe it will come into action regardless how harmful/hated/useless, also whoever behind it might be giving an impression that they don't know that almost everything new was successfully pirated.

• @Go59954 said: I believe it will come into action regardless how harmful/hated/useless, also whoever behind it might be giving an impression that they don't know that almost everything new was successfully pirated.

Recently a bank in America thought exactly the same thing. They found out right quick how we all felt about their crap also.

I understand what they are trying to do and why they are trying to do it. They are just going about it all wrong. Hate to break to them but if they think something up to stop it, then someone someplace else is going to think something else up to get around it. It will not matter if it is against the law or not.

• @Infinity said: If SOPA comes into action there are going to be global riots, rightly so.

Hate to play the heavy yet one more time but how well did it go for the Occupy folks?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

If SOPA hits and is even remotely successful in causing as much damage as speculated, I foresee a 2nd "underground" internet being formed...

• @KuJoe said: I foresee a 2nd "underground" internet being formed...

I think we're up to 5th or 6th by now.

edited December 2011

@drmike said: I think we're up to 5th or 6th by now.

There's only 1 existing internet that I know of...

• Current internet is the 2nd one.

ArpNet (Or whatever it was called) was the first.

Then we have Internet 2: http://www.internet2.edu/

If you're talking about underground internet, then you probably should throw in the Tor network.

Then of course you have Al Gore's Internet. You know? The one that exists in his mind.

• @KuJoe said: There's only 1 existing internet that I know of...

internet2, arpa, sprintlink/government private segmented network, tor, freenet, darknet, probably a few more, i2p?

• I'd actually like to see SOPA go through. I'd like to see it piss off a lot of people, because then people may actually band together and make some changes to fix our terrible government. Probably unlikely to happen, but since us Americans only like to react to a problem once it starts to really effect us, it might just work...

@justinb said: internet2, arpa, sprintlink/government private segmented network, tor, freenet, darknet

Maybe I should have said existing public internet, there's still only 1 that I know of.

• @drmike said: Then of course you have Al Gore's Internet. You know? The one that exists in his mind.

There are days I can't tell whether you're genuinely trying to be funny, or are just uneducated on key topics;

Thanked by 1mina
  • SOPA covers IRC too? then I guess SOPA will eat LEBs whole