Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a Paypal subscription? YOU maintain it!!!! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a Paypal subscription? YOU maintain it!!!!

124»

Comments

• @KuJoe, they don't want to solve it. They just want to argue about it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

no offence @KuJoe but I don't want to put a hacked together version of a long time unmaintained module that has anything to to do billing in to a live system.

• @AnthonySmith, I've checked the code. It should work just fine. There are nothing critical in the code.

It basically runs a code when a cancellation request received or an upgrade done.

It looks up from the database to find the subscription ID, then calls the Paypal API and executes the cancel subscription method.

It's very simple.

• @serverian said: @AnthonySmith, I've checked the code. It should work just fine. There are nothing critical in the code.

Same here. Perhaps it should no longer be considered 'unmaintained' since @KuJoe is now maintaining it.

• I think it should call the cancellation when the service is terminated, though.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited April 2013

STRIKE THAT!

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2013

For many of the reason listed here, I outright REFUSE to use paypal subscriptions.

Though it is not directly related to this, as they are not a VPS provider, one of my more memorable issues was with 1&1 with a domain name. They forced me into a subscription to purchase my domain, which made no sense as it should have been a one time payment for services. Then 2 months after I purchased the domain, THEY TRIED TO AUTO RENEW IT. Meaning, because I had agreed to their subscription, they actually made me renew a domain I didn't want to renew more than the year I paid for it, because they could, basically stealing from me. After that, I canceled my subscription... come to find since I canceled my subscription they canceled my account and wouldn't allow me to renew other domains I had with them.

Now, because of this issue, I will not do business with any company that forces me into a subscription of any kind. I rather pay the late fee to restore my services than have to deal with e-mailing and begging for my money back from different people. Although most of the people here would be honest and refund you, you forget a lot of people are not honest, like some have mentioned in this thread, and straight up refuse to refund you (basically stealing from you because you forgot to cancel something you may not have wanted to be using in the first place).

You can bitch and whine all you want and say its the customer fault, but in my opinion when I cancel my service with you, I am canceling all active contracts with you, including my billing contract. If you continue to take money from me, and are not refunding it to me when you see it in your account without me having to badger you for it, you are stealing my money weather or not it is my fault. If I no longer have a contract with you and you are taking my money and keeping it from me, this IS stealing. To avoid this, when a customer cancels, you should also cancel you subscription contract with the customer at the same time. Putting it as a fault of the customer doesn't change the fact the customer canceled their legal contract with you and you continued to take their money, knowingly or not.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• Why not just fire off an automated email "you cancelled your service but your pp subscription appears to be active"

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@bdtech said: Why not just fire off an automated email "you cancelled your service but your pp subscription appears to be active"

Meh, I'd rather use @KuJoe's ...

edited April 2013

@TheLinuxBug said: my opinion when I cancel my service with you, I am canceling all active contracts with you, including my billing contract. If you continue to take money from me

Sorry but this is my whole point, your cancelling your service with me, yes that is correct, you also have a service agreement with paypal to send money at pre authorised (By You) intervals, by cancelling service with me you are not cancelling service with them

Once again, providers cannot take money, they just cant, paypal send it on your say so and on your say so only, that is why when a host gets hacked you hear all about 'were credit card details taken' because that is different, people can activley take from your credit card, when was the last time you heard 'Were my paypal details stolen?' never because we dont keep them and as such even if it was legal for someone else to use your account which it is not, we simply do not have control over your account or your account details, only you do.

Everyone needs to stop using the word 'Take' with paypal that simply is not possible.

Once again I agree that paypal should do more user education in this area but that is something that needs to be taken up with paypal not hosting providers.

• you also have a service agreement with paypal to send money at pre authorised (By You) intervals, by cancelling service with me you are not cancelling service with them

PayPal is filthy in this. Mind you, no service with PayPal if it wasn't for an end company like yourself "billing" for something.

This autobill isn't some innocence on providers part though, unless PayPal continues to bill customer after the service was in fact truly canceled by customer. Is this clearly what you are saying?

If I must cancel with your company (or any like it) then go through the tedious 10 step dance with PayPal to cancel subscription, well then. Let me say this, I was anti subscription before, now, I will NEVER buy where subscription is the only option.

@pubcrawler said: If I must cancel with your company (or any like it) then go through the tedious 10 step dance with PayPal to cancel subscription, well then. Let me say this, I was anti subscription before, now, I will NEVER buy where subscription is the only option.

Fair enough, that is absolutely your choice, I also offer other payment methods. including none subscription which is perhaps why I am less willing to take any blame for users own choices :)