Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any resellers using any OVH services?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any resellers using any OVH services?

SPSP Member
edited April 2013 in Help

As some of you may know, I've been researching hosting for a few months now. This research has taken me down many paths ranging from leasing server(s), hosting my owned servers in a DC, to getting an AT&T fiber connection and reselling from that. I believe I have the necessary technical skill to execute this properly, but have not come across a business model that will allow me to make any profit without overselling resources and without posing significant financial risk to my family and current business (managed IT support). Not interested in being a summer host, would like to provide a sustainable quality service that can grow and hopefully augment my salary.

I've know I have seen threads where people speak ill of OVH, and was just wondering if I could get some clarification as to why. Do they have poor network infrastructure? Incompetent tech support? Is their hardware unreliable? Seems like they are using the same SuperMicro/E3 combinations most everyone else is using. Is there any reason that they are not a good choice for VPS resale, other than they don't appear to want to give out IP addresses in more than a /27?

The videos they've posted of their datacenters and what they are doing with cooling and architecture make them look like a really attractive option, but that could just be putting polish on a turd. I welcome all comments and criticisms.

Comments

• edited April 2013

@Sperryman said: but have not come across a business model that will allow me to make any profit without overselling resources and without posing significant financial risk to my family and current business (managed IT support). Not interested in being a summer host, would like to provide a sustainable quality service that can grow and hopefully augment my salary.

If you don't want to oversell anything, then don't target the LEB market.

I'd much rather offer 'premium' services with zero-overselling and charge $30/mo for 512MB of RAM.

This is a personal view, I'm just an employee of URPad so keep that in mind. But if I were to start a business myself, I certainly wouldn't try to target the LEB market. It's much easier to manage less clients who pay more than more clients who pay nothing and demand the world. =]

Seriously though, there are a ton of people who would NEVER buy a $7/mo VPS even if it offered the same specs as a $45/mo VPS elsewhere. Not everyone wants the cheapest things.

EDIT: And regards to the OVH hate, I believe it just stems from the fact that they have very strict abuse policies. If your server(s) are reported, I believe they may just suspend/terminate them. Doesn't matter if you have one server or fifty.

I've never been a direct customer of OVH, so I can't comment if that's really the case. But I believe I have read that.

• 365Networks365Networks Member
    edited April 2013

Relating to OVH, people expect them to answer all their little questions, and you aren't going to get that for the price your paying. Thats where OVH gets a bad name for their support. I'd say you should be appreciative just to even receive an automated message back. I'd say if the server is up, the network is up, there is no reason for a support ticket at all, especially for a unmanaged dedicated server

I have servers there that are running great, decent network and the times where I have asked for support (twice), they have been reasonably fast with it, so no complaints here. Just don't stick your head where it shouldn't be and you will have a great time with them.

EDIT: In response to the above post, I actually asked about the abuse policies and they said they send out an email before the suspension/termination, however this could be incorrect. It may also depend on the level of abuse.

• I have been using OVH for about 4 months now.. and the only thing I can say for the network and uptime is - superb .
    I am very happy with my servers there. No downtime at all and the speed is great.
    Regarding the support - I can't really comment on that since I never had to use it .. which I think just shows that they are good.
    They state on their web site that the server is managed by you , and you really shouldnt expect much of support for software related issues.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2013

No serious provider should rent OVH servers.

Support is near to inexistent and I still remember when some years ago, I got one dedicated server suspended without any previous notice simply for torrenting (and I don't believe they investigated the DMCA notice before suspending, anyway).

OVH isn't a good partner at all if you are going to host third parties.

• @365Networks said: I'd say if the server is up, the network is up, there is no reason for a support ticket at all, especially for a unmanaged dedicated server

Exactly.

Honestly, I think they're TOO responsive for their price point. I had a downed Kimsufi because I was messing with it... they notice within 5 minnutes and open a dialogue immediately. Hell, I've NEVER heard from Hetzner about my server, and I KNOW my server's been variable since the day I bought it (my own doing). A hardware reboot function and a configurable PXEBoot option and you really don't need any support.