Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World IPv6 Jump! Going IPv6-only on 8th June 2013
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

World IPv6 Jump! Going IPv6-only on 8th June 2013

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited April 2013 in General

Ok, this is something I've been thinking about for a while, and I guess today is a good date to announce this idea to the world :)

Comments

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Good joke! You got me for a minute... :P

• Actually i've been thinking for a long time for appropriate valuable resource which to host on ipv6-only, just for the idea. I am willing to donate hosting space / bandwidth for this, if anyone comes up with a good idea that i like. But nothing IRC related, please.

• I was just about to move one of my domain to be ipv6 only, but I know that the visitor will be reduced, since not many internet users in Indonesia able to use the ipv6 :|

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: Actually i've been thinking for a long time for appropriate valuable resource which to host on ipv6-only, just for the idea. I am willing to donate hosting space / bandwidth for this, if anyone comes up with a good idea that i like. But nothing IRC related, please.

Contents are only one side of the coin. IPv6 to the home need development, big access providers and incunbents have enough ip space to look forward for some time, so in turn most home users simply don't care.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said: since not many internet users in Indonesia able to use the ipv6

• @DalComp , some of the easiest way to access ipv6 website is by using squid3 in an ipv6 enabled vps as a proxy :)

Currently I'm developing that proxy for the technical highscool in Pati, Jawa Tengah. A school where I belong to :D

• @ErawanArifNugroho said: some of the easiest way to access ipv6 website is by using squid3 in an ipv6 enabled vps as a proxy :)

Problem is, when someone access IPv6 only website, it won't load. Regular people would not even bother checking if it's due to IPv6 (in)compatibility. They just say website doesn't work. :|

• @DalComp said: They just say website doesn't work. :|

Hahaha,,, correctly.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@DalComp said: They just say website doesn't work.

Well it's one of the points that I mentioned. Would be nice if browsers instead of "Address not found" would display a nice page, "Hey this site is on IPv6 and you aren't, go get yourself an IPv6-supporting provider!" And people knowing that, could call their provider on the phone and demand IPv6 support because some sites don't load without it.

• There is just not enough ISP using IPv6. I have a huge ISP, they must have a million customers or more, and they "have no plans to implement IPv6". They even have a range assigned and announced, but no plans to make it available to customers.

• CoreyCorey Member

@superpilesos said: There is just not enough ISP using IPv6. I have a huge ISP, they must have a million customers or more, and they "have no plans to implement IPv6". They even have a range assigned and announced, but no plans to make it available to customers.

Typical...

• SPSP Member
    edited April 2013

Very interesting. I had always thought that my network provider here was podunk, but I am apparently able to use IPv6 transparently through my cable connection. Took a few packets, but started getting replies shortly after.

EDIT: Why are so few sites IPv6 compliant? Just from my initial investigation, of all the sites I use regularly only Google has AAAA records. Weird.

• KrisKris Member

@rm_ said: And people knowing that, could call their provider on the phone and demand IPv6 support because some sites don't load without it.

I'm guessing you haven't dealt with Comcast customer service.

If it's not fixed by a 'refresh' signal they'll roll a truck.

Gawking to 1st level tech support isn't going to change anything with ISPs, except get a reply added to their FAQ knowledge-base to let you know "it's being tested and will be deployed when ready"

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

I had recently project where was used IPv4 and IPv6 for the same domain, using the IPv6 website is loaded faster than IPv4.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@WebProject said: I had recently project where was used IPv4 and IPv6 for the same domain, using the IPv6 website is loaded faster than IPv4.

Yeah, I have less hops and a lower ping to the US over IPv6 than IPv4.