Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RethinkDB shutting down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RethinkDB shutting down

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
edited October 2016 in General

Figured this would be of interest to people here. There are currently pretty serious signs of RethinkDB shutting down in the near future, in some way - two weeks ago, all development just stopped overnight, and employees have pretty much said "we can't comment on this, more soon".

If you're using RethinkDB, this is the moment where you should double-check that your contingency plans are in place :)

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

If they "Can't comment" Then that's usually a sign of a buyout.

• It will be a real shame if RethinkDB does shut down. We've used their software in the past and it was a pleasure to use.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

This is why you should never use open source. It can just disappear in a day.

(I'm sure I'm going to need this part where I admit that I'm joking)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

@pbgben said:

That leaves the question: why stop development? I can only really see that happening if it's an acquihire or an attempt to "acquire them out of the market", in which case that pretty much spells the end of RethinkDB (unless it's transferred into the Apache Foundation or something like that).

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:
    This is why you should never use open source. It can just disappear in a day.

(I'm sure I'm going to need this part where I admit that I'm joking)

This is the low end market place, if it costs money then its bad, right? Only opensource and free is where its at.

• @joepie91 said:

@pbgben said:

That leaves the question: why stop development? I can only really see that happening if it's an acquihire or an attempt to "acquire them out of the market", in which case that pretty much spells the end of RethinkDB (unless it's transferred into the Apache Foundation or something like that).

Development could be going across to the new IP owner, development would stop if the code has already been transferred.

There's a number of reasons why it could have stopped though, that's just my guess.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited October 2016

I think it's genius to compete in segments, that Oracle doesn't have a product in yet.

When you get to that size of huge dysfunctional megacorp , it's easier to just buy a startup and the team. (speculating here)

• Shit. Just started using it for a project.

Thank you jospie.

• It seems they are going to move the database to an open source and managed by a community, so it may actually be ok. Still need to watch it closely.

• AlyssaD said: It seems they are going to move the database to an open source and managed by a community,

Depends if there's an actual community. Let's face it, the reality is that complex projects rarely attract many contributors who aren't getting paid by somebody to contribute.

Thanked by 1lontong
  • @lbft said:

AlyssaD said: It seems they are going to move the database to an open source and managed by a community,

Depends if there's an actual community. Let's face it, the reality is that complex projects rarely attract many contributors who aren't getting paid by somebody to contribute.

While I'm unsure if the engineering team will continue to support RethinkDB in the long term, it sounds as if their new employer Stripe is willing to support the project till it can stand on its own.

Who knows how it will work in the long run, but this may see a change in the release cycle. Instead of focusing on new features, more effort will be put into optimization and solidifying the base code.

Slava @ Rethink here.

The team at Stripe has been absolutely phenomenal throughout this process, they've gone above and beyond in finding high-impact projects for our team. We're brainstorming together how to transition RethinkDB to a self-sustaining open-source project, and Stripe is super-supportive of that too. If there is a way for RethinkDB to live on, we'll find it!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

AlyssaD said: It seems they are going to move the database to an open source

Well, it was already open-source. It's just the management that's moving, and I'm not sure how well that's going to work.

• Possible the team might be focusing on other projects and the open source development has been just stopped.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Is is not open source? I thought unicorns and rainbows were supposed to fly out of every line of code, securing and ensuring the future of anyone using it.

• I guess the question is there any good alternatives to rethinkdb?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AlyssaD said: I guess the question is there any good alternatives to rethinkdb?

Yes.