Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean's resize function is broken, they don't even say sorry. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean's resize function is broken, they don't even say sorry.

2»

Comments

• @kryps I give kudos where they are due also. DO has done a good job targeting an audience and a niche that needed to be filled. They have done that well. I have nothing personal against their business or their business model. I think it is great they have done what they have in such a short time.

The problem I have is when people come here griping when things are broken. We have known about this for a very long time now. This is not the place to try to get help to fix problems with providers. This is supposed to neutral territory.

I do not know maybe I am just plain crazy or something.

• @kryps said: If I order some LEBs at another place I have to wait hours (on average) to get them set up and that is if they have stock.

Well when RamNode has stock your VMs are provisioned as soon as payment is received.
    P.S. I often hear my phone alert me of a new email (VM info) seconds after clicking the pay button.

• @AuroraZ Isn't this place for people sharing their experiences with providers? tell me if I am wrong.
    All I am doing is sharing my experience as a DO's customer.
    As you said, it is neutral territory, why can't I say something that you have already known about?
    wait, You know about what for very long time now?

• @luma said: If you use the right driver it works great.

This
    And no, can't be OpenVZ

• @webflier You can share anything you want evidently and everyone just has to except it.

@webflier said: You know about what for very long time now?

That their resize feature is broken. It was mentioned weeks if not months ago. You can downsize but not upgrade.

I do not entirely blame anyone for this except the useless search function. Most people use google and just do site lowendtalk.com then what ever they want to search for to get results.

Well there I go again speaking for most people when it is just something I have experience in doing for myself.

With that I am going to apologize to everyone and especially @webflier. I guess I should not have opened my mouth to point the blatant stupidity I saw. I will retreat back into my hiding now and stay behind the scenes and just spend my money like a good little monkey boy.

• @AuroraZ well, I am quite impressed. you open your mouth only when you do a google search and google returns nothing.
    sorry that I posted something that everyone knows.

• marcmmarcm Member

@webflier - I think that Digital Ocean should have stuck with Xen, because KVM isn't working out for them, at least not in their implementation. Or maybe someone forgot to install kpartx on your node. Who knows.

• @marcm said: I think that Digital Ocean should have stuck with Xen

Xeeeeeeen???

model name : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0

No

• marcmmarcm Member

@yomero They used to sell Xen VPS servers. Looks to me like they abandoned Xen a while back. See here: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/digitalocean-256mb-kvmxen-5-month-in-new-york-or-amsterdam-with-free-5-credit/

• The way forward is OpenVZ :)

• I did a resize by hand a few weeks ago it was no big deal, you just have to know what you're doing, but for large disks it can take time. Why I'm disappointed Solus does not support online disk resizes.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@qhoster said: The way forward is OpenVZ

@AnthonySmith

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
  • @AnthonySmith

Just kidding...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
  • @AnthonySmith: Love it. Such a badass.

• @FRCorey At DO? You can resize on mounted filesystems????

• @yomero April Fools ;)

Online maybe not, but at most they do a reboot and a script runs and does it then boots back up. It's pretty simple.

DD copy of image
    Resize image copy
    boot image copy

If successful, delete original.