Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving to OVH/SYS bad or good idea?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Moving to OVH/SYS bad or good idea?

Hello folks, new over here! I'm creating this post to get an expert opinion about this:

I have a small shared hosting company in my country since 2004. It's main service is mail hosting.
I rent my servers on SoftLayer (customer since they were named theplaned) and last three years added a new one from Codero. Dont have any complaints about their services. Support, uptime are amazing but as you know services from this DataCenters are expensive. I spent over $800+ renting 3 Xeon E31230 with 16GB RAM - 4TB SATA each.
I have over 1000 clients on each server, for that reason I need to add a new server because dont want to do more overselling.

At this time I'm considering a powerful server saving a money, and I looked at OVH, SYS this offers:
SYS: E5-SAT-3
OVH: EG-32

My clients are mostly companies that use their emails a lot and they need a server running 24/7 with less downtime or data loss. When I was reading reviews about OVH notice that people always complaining on their uptime or hardware fail, so based in that and knowing some of you actively use OVH/SYS services my question is:

What do you thing about move a production server to this datacenter?
Their relationship hardware/price looks great maybe the best on the market, but it's worth considering bad reviews about connectivity, uptime and consistent hardware failures?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerelly
Juan Fuentes.

Comments

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2016

If you want better support and hardware then go with OVH instead of SYS because SYS are second hand of their hardware and older than OVH ones, actually we are using ovh more than a year or so, and haven't had any problem with them so far. You can profit a 500GB backup space with OVH servers.

• Just be aware that the level of service you get from SoftLayer will be far greater than the service you get from OVH.

The Planet was a very good company, I spent some time there many years ago.

Which SoftLayer DC are you currently in?

With your permission, can I drop you a PM? We can come up with a custom solution for you in either Europe or the USA and assist you with the entire migration of your setup with minimal interference to your customers. It's what we're good at.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • For personal experience, I've had about 10 servers with OVH (4 under the Kimsufi brand) over the last 3-4 years), and I've had zero hardware failures in that time, and I can't say I've had any noticeable network issues either, certainly no significant incidents of downtime, planned or otherwise.

• if it is just for email, why not contact @jarland and see if he can offer you a solution ?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Kind of a strange one this, you don't see someone moving from SL to OVH every day.

If you don't reply on SL for management then its a good idea as you are throwing money away by using them, but do not even expect 10% of the customer service quality at OVH.

What I would say though is a middle ground may be that you take twice the amount of servers with OVH and build your own redundancy in to your hosting deployment and probably save a ton of money.

SL will do a double back flip dismount for you when the shit hits the fan, OVH might get back to you the same day, that is the difference here.

OVH are absolutely production, SYS/Kimsufi not so much, but they are absolutely self managed, dont expect them to jump through any hoops.

I cant help feeling that you might be missing a middle ground here that would be a better fit, going from SL to OVH sort of feels like going from an Audi RS8 to a BMW 318i

• Before proceeding, Remember that OVH is completely un-managed provider, as you have to manage everything by yourself, OVH servers don't include cPanel/WHM, but you can install them by yourself too.
    Good Luck!

• @VortexMagnus SL is on Dallas location and the Codero is located in Phoenix.

@AnthonySmith I'm not "moving" because a bad service of my actually providers also dont care about management service, the main problem in this is in my country we have a monetary control, a single person can use up to 3000$ per year after government approval and sometimes they just dont approve. when you reach the limit you must buy on the black market and price is over 50x the price when exchange the local currency to USD. Imagine in my case I spent over 800$+ each and must resort to this black market each month the exchange rate is increasing.. thats my mine headache, so my main is keep offering a good service trying to spend less.

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR

Hi @Juanceto I can offer you a dedicated server if you like

Supermicro with Intel Xeon E3 1270 or 2x Intel Xeon E5 2620v4 (location NL)

Please let me know

• If the reputation for reliability that SoftLayer charges you $800 a month for is worthwhile then I would say stick with Softlayer, ie with over a 1000 clients it is less that $1 a month per client. If you plan to move to OVH and make sure you have a good system admin in place. If the main thing you gain from SoftLayer is hardware reliability then OVH may be just as good. Let them know where you are moving from, and why.

• My clients are mostly companies that use their emails a lot

• GBIGBI Member, Host Rep

Personally I wouldn't go with Kimsufi/SYS if your services are critical to your clients. OVH, on the other hand, is production grade with great support. You can also contact them in various different ways. In any case, don't expect SoftLayer type support, but in terms of cost vs. reliability I would highly recommend OVH without a doubt.

Good luck with it.

• Sorry for the necro but I find SYS really really odd.
    They forbid me to crawl and installing a windows VM I can get 1 mbit ( getting hooked through nyr's open vpn script to NYC3 @DO).
    I just did a random download and got 500 mbits with same latency from NYC ...

• Been using their VPS Public Cloud for a few months now. Been great network and uptime. I don't recommend them if you send out large amount of e-mails; they have strict filtration rules.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited October 2016

I have a bunch of OVH and KS servers (Regular boxes as well as special servers that I bought during flash / clearance sales etc), and they have all been performing well.

Discounted / Special Deals -

I never faced any stability related issues with them except the odd case of extremely slow network speeds between FR and CA on their Kimsufi 3c servers that I bought during the flash sale (Which I subsequently cancelled and got a full refund for).

Then I faced slow OVH to OVH transfer speeds (Not 1Gbit) on the SP-64 special boxes that I got a couple of months back. OVH has since clarified that 250Mbit is the guaranteed speed on these special SP-64 servers, with anything over that boiling down to pure luck.

Now that they have addressed the ambiguity between their OVH manager product descriptions and actual network speeds, I have no issues, as I am getting exactly what I paid for.

Regular Servers -

I have 3x regular SSD based SP-64 servers (Mid Tier) for production services, that I have had for a little less than a year. Now, these servers have been working flawlessly @1Gbit.

I have received almost 100% uptime, with the only downtime recorded while upgrading the stack or re-installing the OS etc.

So, based entirely on the price to performance ratio, I'd say that OVH has been extremely reliable in terms of the hardware AND network stability. BUT their ticket based support leaves a LOT to be desired, with response times ranging from 18 - 72 hours.

I'd highly recommend OVH if you know what you're doing, have a solid backup / data replication policy in place, and have redundancy within your infrastructure to handle random RAID / HDD / SSD / Hardware related issues.