Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

16 years of uptime - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

16 years of uptime

2»

Comments

• IntcsIntcs Member

I don't know how board components, capacitors, ICs, chipset etc, all have survived heat and continuous work! Even harder to believe that its PSU alone wasn't damaged! It's FAN only kept running smoothly for 16y! Because if only fan is gone PSU should fail! Also, the fan will NATURALLY accumulate dust (even if it's in a surgery room, as human body drops dead cells that makes dust!), and if dust isn't cleared for a few years (and PSU stopped/changed), it will kill the fan/everything shortly. Lastly, there's a CPU fan that might have surpassed few times of it's life cycle regardless of dust issues even! And all of the above are just a few things in much more issues it should have surpassed! IMO if it really worked that long without any single shutdown, it's a very, very odd case.

• @Intcs actually equipment can work surprisingly long without beeing shutdown. Failures usually occur after the shutdown, i.e. you can't start it again after it was shutdown.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited April 2013

@rds100 said: @Intcs actually equipment can work surprisingly long without beeing shutdown. Failures usually occur after the shutdown, i.e. you can't start it again after it was shutdown.

Nice! But fan issues are still weird really, you know that increasing sound declaring a near failure, also not mentioned above many other issues like RAM connectivity to slots over time which causes one or more sticks to not function at some point and require forced shutdown. HDD failure, or any read/write error? system halt. HDD full? And so on..

• Well, some systems have hot swappable and redundant PSUs, some have hotswappable fan trays, also hot swappable HDDs are a normal thing. All this can help with the uptime.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited April 2013

@rds100 said: Well, some systems have hot swappable and redundant PSUs, some have hotswappable fan trays, also hot swappable HDDs are a normal thing. All this can help with the uptime.

Agree on that for newer servers, I've also worked as a techie and dealt with some servers, even though mostly dealt with regular PC hardware. But it was in 1997 isn't it? o: just hard to think it was hot swappable. Also I'm thinking of "normal case" that happened in coincidence. No special cooling, hardware, or cleaning of dust.

• Sad story, I was 5 years old (almost 6)

• Holy crap, i was a CNE back in the '90s, i could have setup that. Or maybe that was before 3.1.2 came out. I guess i'm too old even for that. Ne1 here remember the good ol'days migrating SVR3.2 to System V rel 4?

@rds Novell had even a special NetWare version called SFTIII (safe fault tolerance level 3) where even ram was kept in parallel between 2 servers, so you could easily get large uptimes even when in reality one of the server was shut down servicing. I think I got specific certification and installed one 20 years ago, and i remember it was a really expensive piece of software.

• @marrco said: where even ram was kept in parallel between 2 servers, so you could easily get large uptimes even when in reality one of the server was shut down servicing.

Too bad they didn't call it "cloud" and then patent the word :)

• IntcsIntcs Member

@marrco said: Holy crap, i was a CNE back in the '90s, i could have setup that. Or maybe that was before 3.1.2 came out. I guess i'm too old even for that. Ne1 here remember the good ol'days migrating SVR3.2 to System V rel 4?

@rds Novell had even a special NetWare version called SFTIII (safe fault tolerance level 3) where even ram was kept in parallel between 2 servers, so you could easily get large uptimes even when in reality one of the server was shut down servicing. I think I got specific certification and installed one 20 years ago, and i remember it was a really expensive piece of software.

Nice info here, I was at 9 or 10 when it began :]
    But he didn't mention redundant server.. it would have at least explained some confusion of no single shutdown. So if that wasn't used during servicing (as it looks), is it very odd and that hard to achieve with hardware?!

@rds100 said: Too bad they didn't call it "cloud" and then patent the word :)

I see that lots of sites that offers free hosting for their software, are for some reason now calling it "cloud" instead of hosting.