Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self hosted Spotify like service.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self hosted Spotify like service.

Hello mates.

I'm looking for something similar like Spotify. It should be self hosted. Basically I just want to feed it local folder with music and access it via web. No encoding is required.

The next self hosted thing I would need is some sort of Email client with web interface. Where I could add multiple mailboxes.

Thank you for help!

Comments

• SubSonic for your music. Completely free if you don't want to use the mobile apps, otherwise the license is $12/year.

• I love these opensource alternatives <3

• I'm using Plex, but this alternative looks great!

• edited September 2016

Looks excellent, but lack of a offline/mobile client sucks :|

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I'm just curious why you would want to self host something like Spotify? It gives you so much flexibility and access to so much content without having to lift a finger.

• Kupol said: The next self hosted thing I would need is some sort of Email client with web interface. Where I could add multiple mailboxes.

https://github.com/andryyy/mailcow

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • There's also Ampache for you.

• trewq said: I'm just curious why you would want to self host something like Spotify? It gives you so much flexibility and access to so much content without having to lift a finger.

Music selection + cost if you want the ability to play tracks offline.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Nekki said:

trewq said: I'm just curious why you would want to self host something like Spotify? It gives you so much flexibility and access to so much content without having to lift a finger.

I see both of those as benefits. I guess it depends on your music preference but I've always been able to find what I'm looking for on Spotify. Plus I don't mind paying for native apps on everything I use and offline downloads. Guess it depends on your priorities.

• Vox (but it's roughly the same price as Spotify etc.). Synology have a decent set of apps for mobile etc. that can steam from their desktop NASs.

• @trewq said:

@Nekki said:

trewq said: I'm just curious why you would want to self host something like Spotify? It gives you so much flexibility and access to so much content without having to lift a finger.

I see both of those as benefits. I guess it depends on your music preference but I've always been able to find what I'm looking for on Spotify.

That was exactly my point, if your preference isn't catered for then you need to look elsewhere. I know my own preferences certainly aren't well served by Spotify.

Thanked by 1trewq
  • I tried koel on a cPanel+cloudlinux server which I operate and which has the necessary dependacies, it all installed successfully but when doing curl -I localhost:8000 it replies back HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error. So I gave up right there. I don't have time for that sh*t.

It looked really nice, though.

• I use Libresonic (FOSS fork of subsonic). It's not as pretty as spotify but it works well for me. I use this app on mobile: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=github.daneren2005.dsub&hl=en

• KupolKupol Member
    edited September 2016

Thank you for suggestions I will try koel it looks very nice.

@doughmanes
    I need only web based email client i.e something that connects to IMAP server and fetches the messages. I don't need full stack email solution. Or can you run only the UI on mailcow?

• In that case I'll throw out RainLoop Webmail as I like it.

@Kupol said:
    Thank you for suggestions I will try koel it looks very nice.

@doughmanes
    I need only web based email client i.e something that connects to IMAP server and fetches the messages. I don't need full stack email solution. Or can you run only the UI on mailcow?

• Nekki said: That was exactly my point, if your preference isn't catered for then you need to look elsewhere. I know my own preferences certainly aren't well served by Spotify.

I consider myself happy each time I achieve to find at least 15% of the music that I would like to hear on Spotify. I guess that's a typical "I am an old fart" problem.

Thanked by 2netomx karjaj
  • @Amitz said:

Nekki said: That was exactly my point, if your preference isn't catered for then you need to look elsewhere. I know my own preferences certainly aren't well served by Spotify.

I consider myself happy each time I achieve to find at least 15% of the music that I would like to hear on Spotify. I guess that's a typical "I am an old fart" problem.

It's not an 'old fart problem' - it's just pure popularity; the selection of Japanese Metal/Rock (both current and historic) is appalling on all services, but Spotify is (was?) the worst by far.

If you have tastes too far outside of the 'norm', you're going to run out of stuff to listen to very quickly.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • Well, I guess it's a combination of "old fart" and "outside the norm" at the same time in my case... ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Plex has music support and selfhosted.

• @vfuse said:
    Plex has music support and selfhosted.

Only if you like your server to crumble...
    With a big archive it's a PIA... Also it does download the whole file ajd starts playing afterwards for some reason.

I tried it with my 65k+ tracks archive (all were edited and managed by beets) the results were disappointing for me.

I tried madsonic, that one was fine but for some reason database got corrupted and admin login was gone.

Now back to Ampache. It works... And with dSub it's good on mobile as well.

Just like @Amitz, with Spotify I couldn't find the music I wanted to listen either. Mostly local music and Heavy Metal stuff. Most from the days I downloaded mp3's... Ampache Does the job just fine. I can put my Audiobooks in a separate library and give access to people as well.

Thanked by 1vfuse