Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unable to reach online.net and all my servers with them
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unable to reach online.net and all my servers with them

Is anyone having the same problem as mine? Started a few minutes ago. I use 1 of the server for vpn and it disconnected and cant be reached anymore.

Comments

• Weird. I can reach them again 2 minutes ago.

• Deadpool for sure.

Thanked by 2netomx zafouhar
  • After my servers can be reached again, my vpn speed decreased to a few kBps. But now the connection is ok again.
    Idk if there was a problem on my ISP side or at Online because all ips from Online cant be reached for a few minutes but other websites and my server were working great.

• Indiehome?

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited September 2016

psycholyzern said: Is anyone having the same problem as mine? Started a few minutes ago. I use 1 of the server for vpn and it disconnected and cant be reached anymore.

psycholyzern said: Weird. I can reach them again 2 minutes ago.

Seriously, what is it with you impatient lot that you figure its important to start a fucking topic over here the moment a server of yours goes offline for some random reason?

Open a ticket with your service provider and save yourself the trouble of undertaking such an onerous task of starting a new topic ffs!

• Read my post carefully. I was simply cannot reach any servers provided by Online.net. When I said any, I mean any. All my 5 servers cannot be reached, neither website online.net itself.
    All other websites can be opened nornally, but not online.net.
    So you expecting me to wait 1hour doing nothing? I cant even open a ticket because the website itself can't be reached. I opened a thread here just to ask people to check if they did have the same issue as mine.

Im not dumb enough to believe that all my 5 servers shutdown by themselves including server that hosting website Online.net, like you said. So, give another reason to bash me instead of not reading my title & the post carefully and ended posting a comment that not make sense? Why dont you read carefully and save yourself the trouble of undertaking such an onerous task of commenting something that doesnt make sense?

• Yet you could try to reach it via vpn, from another server, from mobile (not wlan) etc. to make sure problem isn't at your side with your home network, router or pc...
    Do a traceroute to check how far it may reach and so on.

Also a bit patience like 15 minutes to cover normal network blips that simply may occur really makes sense don't you think?

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Indiehome?

Im from Malaysia :), so Im not using Indiehome.
    I have tried reaching all my 5 server via ssh and http, none of then responded. Even website Online.net didnt opened. I was curious if it happened to anyone here too.

• @psycholyzern said:

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Indiehome?

I have tried reaching all my 5 server via ssh and http, none of then responded. Even website Online.net didnt opened. I was curious if it happened to anyone here too.

have you tried to trace route your server ip, to see if there is an ISP connection, or it is online's backend?

a tracert from windows would help you to detect the problem.

• @Falzo said:

Yet you could try to reach it via vpn, from another server, from mobile (not wlan) etc. to make sure problem isn't at your side with your home network, router or pc...
    Do a traceroute to check how far it may reach and so on.

Also a bit patience like 15 minutes to cover normal network blips that simply may occur really makes sense don't you think?

I am using 1 of the server as my vpn on my mobile, and I dont have other vpn to test. I did asked my friend on another network and he cant reach them too.

• I opened a thread here just to ask people to check if they did have the same issue as mine.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/online.net

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @racksx said:

@psycholyzern said:

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Indiehome?

have you tried to trace route your server ip, to see if there is an ISP connection, or it is online's backend?

a tracert from windows would help you to detect the problem.

I was on phone and cant do traceroute via terminal as it require root.

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited September 2016

@mycosys said:

I opened a thread here just to ask people to check if they did have the same issue as mine.

I did trying to use this but the issue last just for a while and I used that time to post here.
    I intended to see if other people have the same problem as mine at that time. Since there is no one cheked it even this thread had a few views after a few seconds I posted it, it will be useless as no one couldnt confirm it anymore.
    I will considering open a ticket with online.net instead.

Thank you for all of your reply guys.

• @psycholyzern said:

@mycosys said:

I opened a thread here just to ask people to check if they did have the same issue as mine.

I did trying to use this

so you knew it was down for everyone - why ask? espescially after a few min of downtime

• mycosys said: why ask?

To create a new thread, of course. :)

And I just replied to a useless thread, I should have resisted. XD

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @mycosys said:

@psycholyzern said:

@mycosys said:

I did trying to use this

so you knew it was down for everyone - why ask? espescially after a few min of downtime

I guess, my english is bad that you dont understand my post T_T

• @eLohkCalb said:

mycosys said: why ask?

To create a new thread, of course. :)

And I just replied to a useless thread, I should have resisted. XD

You just made a useless comment.

Thanked by 1eLohkCalb
  • @psycholyzern said:

I'm Using android with pingtools app no root needed

• @robohost said:

@psycholyzern said:

I'm Using android with pingtools app no root needed

I dont have that tyoe of app installed. So I use traceroute command via terminal emulator and it didnt let me

• Did they back up?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2016

psycholyzern said: Read my post carefully. I was simply cannot reach any servers provided by Online.net. When I said any, I mean any. All my 5 servers cannot be reached, neither website online.net itself. All other websites can be opened nornally, but not online.net. So you expecting me to wait 1hour doing nothing? I cant even open a ticket because the website itself can't be reached. I opened a thread here just to ask people to check if they did have the same issue as mine.

Im not dumb enough to believe that all my 5 servers shutdown by themselves including server that hosting website Online.net, like you said. So, give another reason to bash me instead of not reading my title & the post carefully and ended posting a comment that not make sense? Why dont you read carefully and save yourself the trouble of undertaking such an onerous task of commenting something that doesnt make sense?

--

psycholyzern said: I did trying to use this but the issue last just for a while and I used that time to post here. I intended to see if other people have the same problem as mine at that time. Since there is no one cheked it even this thread had a few views after a few seconds I posted it, it will be useless as no one couldnt confirm it anymore. I will considering open a ticket with online.net instead.

Thank you for all of your reply guys.

So let me try to help you for the future, if you server goes down, here are the steps you should follow:

1. If you can not reach a server you have by ICMP (ping) confirm if you can access it by TCP (http or a service that uses a tcp port)

2. If you can reach the server by TCP but not ICMP there are two possible causes:

2a. BGP has flapped, meaning there has been a routing issue and your ISP or the target ISP is currently changing routes (can take from 5-15 minutes in worst case scenario and is normal) and ICMP has been disabled during the route change.

2b. You have a mis-configured firewall that blocks ICMP

3. If you can not reach server by ICMP or TCP and you have confirmed that it is also down from other locations besides only yours:

3a. Use MTR or traceroute to perform a test to your target, be sure to document these results and include them as a txt attachment to your ticket you will raise in the next step.

3b. Perform another MTR or traceroute from another location to confirm if this issue is immediate to you or widespread

3c. You can use tools like isup.me to confirm that the site isn't reachable by TCP (read: http)

4. With the information you have documented from your above tests please now go to your providers portal and open a ticket and include all the collected information (or send them an e-mail at [email protected] if the panel is not available as most groups use this e-mail address to auto forward ticket into their help desk, if there network is down most keep offsite MX server and will receive your message as soon as things come back online.)

5. If you have performed all of the above, there is a 45% chance that things will already be fixed, as most network issue are temporary and are usually more important to the provider than you. This is because they will be the one paying out SLA credits to their enterprise customers who pay great deals of money more than you. So if your freaking out and spend less than $300 a month, know they likely have a bunch of customer that pay thousands or 10's of thousands breathing down their neck already and they are MORE IMPORTANT than you are and their tickets will always be handled first.

6. In the rare chance things have not come back up, please proceed to wait up to an hour for a response from your provider explaining the issues they are facing, if things haven't come up with-in an hour most places will start to send out notifications, of course starting with their larger customer first.

7. If you haven't received an update by ticket, please review social networking sources for the provider to see if they have made any updates stating there are issues with their infrastructure or website.

8. Failing all of this and your outage has lasted more than an hour with no update, then and only then should you consider opening a forum post asking for information from the community. Shaming the provider because they are having issues is not the correct way to get better service, in fact, this means now they have to spend time coming to forums to refute you instead of fixing the problem. You could potentially be the difference between the issue taking 1 hour to resolve and 6 hours because of publicity blow back and higher ticket volumes taking their attention from actually fixing the issue.

If for some reason you don't agree with this and instead decide not to follow these suggestion, please know people who lurk on these forums and work in this industry will potentially think your an asshole and flame you on forums for being impatient because they know what its like to be in the middle of fixing issues and have to deal with some person on forums instead of fixing the routing error in the switch or the node issue that is currently causing the problem or the UPS failure or the cooling failure or .... etc.

Side Note: Most providers only provide a 99.95% SLA here and their maximum responsibility to you is to fulfill their SLA. An SLA does not mean there will never be an outage, it simply means if there is an outage they will compensate you for the time it was down by the terms of their SLA agreement. They are not your hostage to dictate terms to and they don't owe you an apology, that apology will be in the form of $$ when they pay you your SLA credit.

I am not mad or even annoyed at the OP, simply trying to educate people so they better understand what you should do and when you should open a forum post.

I will also include this as an additional reference: How To Contact Support, Properly.

Cheers!

• online down time?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Started a few minutes ago....

Wwow

• @TheLinuxBug, thanks for that post. I wish it could be a sticky for everyone to read. I'm getting so tired of these "$x is down" discussions.

• @BeardyUnixGuy said:
    "$x is down".

"x is down. I'm losing $y for z minutes of downtime."

FTFY.