Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8gb dedi for £20?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

8gb dedi for £20?

PebsiePebsie Member
edited March 2013 in General

I am looking to buy a dedicated server for gameserver hosting and have a budget of £20.
Ive looked at Kimsufi and have been tempted by their 4G deal however I was wondering if anyone knew any other host that does this kind of deal but with 8gb instead.
I only need about 100gb disk space and 250 - 500gb bandwidth.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• uhm... Fdc, qps, datashack, volumedrive.... Thats all i can think of

search wht

• @Pebsie said: I am looking to buy a dedicated server for gameserver hosting and have a budget of £20.

Like, host your own servers or host servers for others?

• @curtisg I've been with Datashack before, they're good but unfortunately the only server that fits my budget is 4gb not 8gb.
    @Bogdacutuu Mostly my own, however I am currently hosting a Minecraft server on my VPS for a friend of mine that I will move over to a dedi if I can find one that fits my budget.

• @pebise I could hook you up with a server pm me.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

@Pebsi spend £15 more and get a QPS?
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/quickpacket-49month-dual-xeon-l5420-16gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-in-atlanta/

£20 is quite low, no providers usually do 100GB / 500GB bandwidth dedicated servers now so OVH might be your best shot or Hetzner outlet

• Did a bit of googling and found this:

Mini AMD DS

APU E-350 Dual Core
    RAM 8GB
    HDD 2x1TB
    Speed 100Mbps/1Gbps port
    Software RAID
    Linux ready

25 EUR

DC is Lithuania
    Yeah the CPU is heck old but what do you expect? For me that's an efficient dedi for the price -- look at the SATA and RAM!!

• What kind of game server is this? How CPU intensive?

• EpidriveEpidrive Member
    edited March 2013
  • @Simple3x

That price is only yearly, it's $37 per month then there's tax which brings it up to $44 per month

• @jkr1711

AFAIK they can cancel it, that only applies to Lithuanian clients I believe. And their sales team are giving out discounts just contact them via livechat and you'll know.

• If the tax is VAT it probably should apply to all EU customers who don't have EU VAT number.

• Idk lol. Just ask them!

• I'll wait for them to email me back, their live chat is off right now.

• Go lol.
    Are you buying one tho? :D

• @Simple3x I'll think about it; Lithuania is a new location for me and I'm on a dedi shopping spree (Bought 3 in the last week)...I should see a doctor or something haha

• Ew, just dont go with server4you.
    You'll definetely lose clients.

• @jkr1711 you gotta be careful with them though, they seem to be fishy, try googling a review and you won't find any.

• Yeah and don't go with s4y. They're the crappiest dedi provider out there. Their livechat reps make me sick!! Seemed that they were just put'd there for display, they merely can't speak english, or even spanish!@#$%^

• Thanks for the feedback.
    I've been with s4y before and they are pretty terrible, never again.
    BaCloud looks reasonably good albeit a little over my budget, I'll think about it.
    @rds100 Minecraft and Garry's Mod, so pretty CPU intensive but with only 3 servers it shouldn't be too much of an issue if the CPU is somewhat weak.

• JacobJacob Member

I wouldn't put any gameservers on the providers listed above, most have LQ carriers.

• sorry for my ignorance. i guess i am too old. but whats the story with minecraft gameservers. Is that some friends getting together group gaming think or commercial

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

The OVH will suspend your gaming server, as they monitor ports and too much activity will be classify as DDOS attacks. You can select any other provider and get better off than with OVH.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited March 2013

Ha. One thing with gameservers, is DO NOT skimp on the CPU.

Atom or similar will not host gameservers very well.

@Pebsie said: @rds100 Minecraft and Garry's Mod, so pretty CPU intensive but with only 3 servers it shouldn't be too much of an issue if the CPU is somewhat weak.

Yes it will be an issue. You will need a decent CPU for this. Minimum I'd go, is a i3-2100.

• PebsiePebsie Member
    edited March 2013

@goexodus said: sorry for my ignorance. i guess i am too old. but whats the story with minecraft gameservers. Is that some friends getting together group gaming think or commercial

There's a group of us, and I've been doing this kind of thing for years now. Recently I have decided to step up from hosting on a VPS and with my friend wanting a server up I am able to do this.

@WebProject said: The OVH will suspend your gaming server, as they monitor ports and too much activity will be classify as DDOS attacks. You can select any other provider and get better off than with OVH.

I've hosted gameservers before with OVH on their dedi's and they were fine with it, as has one of my friends.

@NateN34 said: Ha. One thing with gameservers, is DO NOT skimp on the CPU.

Atom or similar will not host gameservers very well.

Again, I've hosted gameservers before with their R-4G deal for a month and it went well.

• @Patrick said: £20 is quite low, no providers usually do 100GB / 500GB bandwidth dedicated servers now so OVH might be your best shot or Hetzner outlet

Hetzner will get you close, but unless you're foreign, you're not even going to get 4gb for 20 euro.

• @Rallias said: Hetzner will get you close, but unless you're foreign, you're not even going to get 4gb for 20 euro.

Maybe, he requires to run game servers and those old AMDs won't do any good + if he's in EU there is VAT so it's almost second to no chance of getting any servers at £20 for his usage.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Shigawire said: Ew, just dont go with server4you.

You'll definetely lose clients.

I know a couple of people with boxes there currently and they are telling me server4you have picked up their game, support is better, 30 day money back etc..

Ok that's only 2 people but hey it's encouraging for the price.