Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How performant and reliable are Scaleways VPS servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How performant and reliable are Scaleways VPS servers?

Are Intel x86_64 systems based on Xeons or Avoton CPUs? It is all confusing to me.

Are the disks RAID or are they single disks?

Are the VPS systems allocated dedicated cores?

Comments

• They are indeed all 64-bit servers. C1 uses an ARM CPU, whereas anything higher (C2+) uses Avoton CPUs.

More info:

https://www.scaleway.com/faq/server/

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • The C2L runs on Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz. Their disks are networked SSD's and the C2L also comes with a dedicated disk. You can probably make software RAID out of two networked disks, but you're not going to get the same performance/service level as with native raid.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • Is there a table for comparing their offers. They seem inclined to obfuscate as much as possible. Hetzner's web page makes it so easy to compare their servers.

• By default there's no raid in scaleway.

You could setup raid, but chances are you're getting 2 volumes on the same physical SSD. You can't check this for yourself, but you can open a ticket, then support will tell you where your volumes are sitting.

Also, you'll need to check this every time you stop/start (not restart) your server. When you stop your server your volume is being archived. When you start your server again the volume is uploaded to a random SSD.

I know for a fact that with C1 you get dedicated (ARMv71 1.3GHz) cores. I think C2 is also dedicated (x86), and vc1 is shared (x86).

• sinsin Member
    edited September 2016

Here's a Geekbench of the small (VC1S) Scaleway VPS:
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/7602414

and here's a simple network speed test (the server was in use when this ran):

CPU model :  Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  C2750  @ 2.40GHz
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency :  2393.902 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 2002 MB
    Total amount of swap :  MB
    System uptime :   21 days, 9:41,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 62.5MB/s 
    Download speed from OVH, Montreal, Canada: 4.24MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Toronto, Canada: 15.2MB/s 
    Download speed from Choopa, Piscataway, USA: 12.6MB/s 
    Download speed from Dacentec, Lenoir, USA: 10.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Orlando, USA: 9.07MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Dallas, USA: 11.7MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, San Francisco, USA: 13.7MB/s 
    Download speed from QuadraNET, LA, USA: 2.11MB/s 
    Download speed from OVH, Roubaix, FR: 85.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Redstation, London, UK:  
    Download speed from Linode, Frankfurt, DE: 13.7MB/s 
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem: 74.6MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.95MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlanta (10Gbps pipe), Ga: 12.6MB/s 
    Disk throughput - 1 time    : 176 MB/s
    Disk throughput - 2 time    : 180 MB/s
    Disk throughput - 3 time    : 202 MB/s
    Average Disk throughput     : 186 MB/s

and disk latency/ioping:

root@scw-vps:~# ioping . -c 10
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=1 time=294 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=2 time=266 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=3 time=375 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=4 time=303 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=5 time=363 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=6 time=277 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=7 time=318 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=8 time=360 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=9 time=292 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=10 time=328 us

--- . (ext4 /dev/vda) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9.01 s, 3.15 k iops, 12.3 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 266 us / 317 us / 375 us / 36 us

I'm liking Scaleway's VPSes so far, the uptime has been good and I haven't encountered any issues.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I ran some tests with their largest instance with the direct ssd and performance was pretty great considering the price for public cloud (cpu as well as disk I/O).

• @vfuse said:
    I ran some tests with their largest instance with the direct ssd and performance was pretty great considering the price for public cloud (cpu as well as disk I/O).

Was it an Intel DC Ssd ( the 250 GB direct attached)?

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@vimalware said:

@vfuse said:

Was it an Intel DC Ssd ( the 250 GB direct attached)?

They're using samsung disks:

Device Model:     SAMSUNG MZ7LN256HMJP-00000
    Serial Number:    S2MJNX0H405740
    LU WWN Device Id: 5 002538 d40cd98c1
    Firmware Version: MAV0100Q
    User Capacity:    256,060,514,304 bytes [256 GB]
    Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
    Rotation Rate:    Solid State Device
    Form Factor:      2.5 inches
    Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
    ATA Version is:   ACS-2, ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4c
    SATA Version is:  SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Had one of their Arm servers for a while. Seems to perform well and good uptime. But I kept getting hit by spurious charges after I terminated the server. Apparently you need to deactivate the IP or you'll get charged every month. I deleted my card no. and account for safety. I believe they still don't take PayPal.

• Lemming said: But I kept getting hit by spurious charges after I terminated the server.

You got charhed because you did not spend a secont to see how this is working... It is clear that you had an ip reserved in your control panel, it has being said in their instructions. So, you didn't have to remove any card from there, just deactivate all services you didn't want...

rchurch said: Are Intel x86_64 systems based on Xeons or Avoton CPUs? It is all confusing to me.

Why did you confuse? Avoton cpus in C2 and arm in C1. Both series are performing very well for the specs, even the NAS storage is pretty quick with very good SSD performance.

rchurch said: Is there a table for comparing their offers. They seem inclined to obfuscate as much as possible. Hetzner's web page makes it so easy to compare their servers.

What to compare? There are three categories, arm servers, intel servers and vps based on intel servers. Inter servers are having three flavors: 4cores/8memory, 8c/16m and 8c/32m. The vps series has also 3 flavors: 2c/2m, 4c/4m and 6c/8m. And each server is coming with specifig HDD (50-250 1-3 flavor) and you can attach as much as 50GB blocks you want, till another 150GB.
    All are here: https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

Thanked by 1rm_
  • sinsin Member

@Lemming said:
    Had one of their Arm servers for a while. Seems to perform well and good uptime. But I kept getting hit by spurious charges after I terminated the server. Apparently you need to deactivate the IP or you'll get charged every month. I deleted my card no. and account for safety. I believe they still don't take PayPal.

They have a big exclamation point by the IP so you know that you're getting charged for it (the dashboard lists every server, ip, etc).