Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Windows?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low End Windows?

i83i83 Member
edited March 2013 in General

Having looked around for a while it seems there are no cheap vps for windows.

Would there be any demand for it? > >

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

As long as it is not some pirated copy installed over Xen's - yeah.

• i83i83 Member

Would either be BYOL or an addon I would assume...

• @i83 said: BYOL

If you have a license you can use pretty much any low end KVM VPS.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2013

We provide Windows VPS at $12/m with Windows License and AutoBoot v2 Feature.

1. We are a SPLA member of Microsoft
    2. Our company and trademark is registered.

Note: AutoBoot is Future..

• i83i83 Member

I had a look at your services but was unable to order any, they were all out of stock.

• check
    burst.net
    http://thrustvps.net/

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2013

@i83 There is no such thing as low end for Windows. Windows is built to require as much resources as possible, making sure Your proprietary malware is up to date and running all the time. Plus the default security holes that come with it are not a bug, they are a feature.

So Yeah don't have high expectations, You'll get some cheaper and yet more expensive than low end box Xen deal, it won't perform so well, and in the end Your server might get compromised soon without using expensive firewalls, IDS/IPS and other additional systems (since Windows is unable to survive on it's own on the internet, and even with additional support there is no guarantee - kinda flawed design in other words), but again remember that's not a bug, that's a feature and You should feel happy about it, and thankful for it's superior service that provides You a window into the technology of the 21-st century.

If You MUST use Windows, either put it into a very very low contention high resources virtualization environment (which will cost You money), or even better install it on a dedicated server (which again will cost You money).
    In any situation, after installation check whatever services are running, and kill all the unneeded ones, to decrease the default attack surface and improve performance. Forget about swapping. Check the firewall configuration. Practice very tight security configuration - if possible. Check IF ANY official current patch is available for Your running configuration, put it in a secure environment, don't even try to use it for other stuff than the initially planned, and have luck!

Using Windows with a lowendbox provider would mean a problem for You and a potential problem for the provider as well, so just give up and pay it big money if You really need it, if You go for the lowendbox deals after all - as i said - don't have high expectations at all.

@Janevski said: Using Windows with a lowendbox provider would mean a problem for You and a potential problem for the provider as well, so just give up and pay it big money if You really need it,

Its depend on server cost and profit, If Lowendprovider earn enough money then they will not oversold node but even If you purchase a windows vps at expensive price and provider earn only few dollars per node then they will oversell node..

1. If your provider give you a only 1 vCPU then It means you can't run too many software at a time.

2. Check Reboot/Boot Speed

• SPSP Member
    edited March 2013

@DewlanceVPS said: AutoBoot v2 Feature

Can you explain your "autoboot" feature?

@Sperryman said: Can you explain your "autoboot" feature?

What is AutoBoot?

• If your VPS goes down due to "SOFTWARE ERROR"(Blue death screen, unsupported driver") then our AutoBoot will automatically detect this and start your VPS in normal mode however If your OS load into recovery mode or show error then Autoboot will send a email to us.
  • @Sperryman

Its lulzy, because it's not really a special feature.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

NECS had a 1GB KVM VPS a while ago with free windows license so it is possible but you really need to be dealing with an SPLA partner as they are to be able to know your safe.

BYOL is a very grey area I would not get involved in but what is odd is if you have your own fully legal with out question license which is about £300 - 400 why would you be looking to save $3 p/month on the VPS?

The only other one I know of is Burst.net but that was the worst VPS I have ever used .... EVER!

• @AnthonySmith You can get licenses from WebsiteSpark, BizSpark and DreamSpark too.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Will any license work for xen?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Bogdacutuu said: @AnthonySmith You can get licenses from WebsiteSpark, BizSpark and DreamSpark too.

Those are not allowed to be used on production systems as far as I know, according to Microsoft EULA.

@Bogdacutuu you cant get websitespark as it is closing down and was for development only, BizSpark self hosted has so many restrictions is is insane and DreamSpark is for education/students and none production environments.

Either way the licenses for those 3 would not be legal to use on a VPS that hosts anything none education related (directly related) or none public facing which it would be on a VPS. MS will verify that :)

edited March 2013

@Infinity said: Those are not allowed to be used on production systems as far as I know, according to Microsoft EULA.

Yep, this was my whole point, hosting windows on a VPS without being 100% legit e.g. DC edition on the same subnet/physical LAN with a KMS server for activation or paid licenses through SPLA is just asking for trouble, hosts that thinks it is ok to let people put their own licenses in just because it activates does not mean you will not be looking at a court date for knowingly allowing this when you get audited.

I have taken a few windows VPS from providers in the past and they don't even hide their product keys or activate through KMS which is just plain stupid.

edited March 2013

OP is looking for VPS, not for windows license :)

• pcanpcan Member

@i83 said: Would there be any demand for it?

Yes of course. There is always a need for more cheap stuff. Windows has little traction on web hosting for obvious reasons, but it is useful as remote desktop. I would appreciate more properly licensed Windows LEB offers.

@AnthonySmith said: hosts that thinks it is ok to let people put their own licenses in just because it activates does not mean you will not be looking at a court date

The "worst scenario" would be that Microsoft will politely propose a settlement to license any server that could host a Windows VPS. They are not the RIAA, they don't sue out of the blue a potential client to get a one-time scary fine that makes it bankrupt; they seek a steady income.

I believe that Windows Datacenter is licensed at about 250$/month per pair of CPU sockets and the processor license covers a unlimited number of VPS. It would be possible to drive down the VPS Windows license price by increasing the number of VPS per node, but more expensive hardware is needed (more RAM, more cores per processor and a beefy RAID).

@pcan said: I believe that Windows Datacenter is licensed at about 250$/month per pair of CPU sockets

£45 ish on SPLA.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited March 2013

@AnthonySmith said: £45 ish on SPLA.

I surely had an outdated/wrong information.
    This also means that at 50 - 60 VPS per server, a proper Windows license will cost less than 1£/month.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said: £45 ish on SPLA.

this should be per cpu, with a minimum of 2 required. We pay €130-140 per server.

• @DewlanceVPS What does Autoboot v2 add over v1?

• @i83 just want to say I have an old ThinkPad with I forget either 128 or 64MB running winXP it's the coolest machine ever!

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@natestamm said: just want to say I have an old ThinkPad with I forget either 128 or 64MB running winXP it's the coolest machine ever!

install deathdrome :D

@SimpleNode said: What does Autoboot v2 add over v1?

AutoBoot v2

New Feature List:

• Downtime Alert on Multiple Email
    • Mail 2 SMS Feature(Receive SMS on emergency(911) situation)
    • VPS High Load Notification
    • Add/Remove/Edit VPS from AutoBoot
    • Automatically Tweet downtime status on twitter If your VPS Goes down
  • AutoBoot more like AutoPoop.... :P

@Shane_Elmore said: AutoBoot more like AutoPoop.... :P

You hate AutoBoot? :-----------(

• Windows license fee is affordable as we can use datacenter edition. We offer Windows VPS from $11.95/mo. It's quite affordable but not cheap enough. If you don't have to use Windows, stay with Linux, man.

• @Sugarhosts said: Windows license fee is affordable as we can use datacenter edition. We offer Windows VPS from $11.95/mo. It's quite affordable but not cheap enough. If you don't have to use Windows, stay with Linux, man.

That's over LEB pricing ^.^