Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a quote
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a quote

DevOpsYouKnowDevOpsYouKnow Member
edited September 2016 in General

Guys,

We're planning to deploy some high performance, fault tolerant servers to host our MySQL and Redis servers. We're planning to use E7 processors and a minimum of 128GB of ram per node. I need your help to find answers to the following questions and your help will be really highly appreciated

1. These are DB servers, need to be available/up as much as they can. Can you suggest any reliable DC that gives a good SLA for uptime? Please suggest some DCs that you think are good for long term plans
  2. Which processor do you suggest for hosting high performing MySQL nodes
  3. How much it may cost per server with 128-256GB of ram, and SSD storage. I just need a ballpark figure so that we can plan our budget accordingly.

Anything else that you suggest will be appreciated. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

What location are you looking for ? We'd be happy to help in London, UK.

• For UK/EU - Clouvider
    For US - Incero

If instead of colo, you want to rent out the dedis: BuyVM, QPS, Reliablesite etc are good options.

Just try to use SSD's if you have the budget, will help.

Thanked by 2Clouvider GCat
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

"Your a ****" - Nekki 2k15

On a more serious note, Are you hosting health or financial data? If not, would you consider a hosted solution.

Thanked by 2doghouch GCat
  • DevOpsYouKnowDevOpsYouKnow Member
    edited September 2016

@Clouvider - mostly in Europe, North America and in Singapore. For UK, can you help me to get an idea of how much it's gonna cost per node with E7 processors and 128-256GB of ram, and SSD ofc.

edited September 2016

@Junkless - thanks buddy. I'm afraid that we don't have the luxury of trying out something and realise that it's not gonna work after some time. That's why we want to go with a reliable provider from the beginning. And our investors are ok with that.

Btw, SSD is a must, yes :)

• @pbgben - lol

Neither medical, nor financial. Just a big web app with regular user data. Nothing sensitive.

And oh by the way, we will collect some data to predict suggestions on some products based on our user's browsing behaviors. So there will be analytics, and a lot of data related to that :)

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

How many disk space is needed? Is that disk space should be fast? Could you please provide more details about the server? E7 CPU? How many CPU's, how many cores? As I know with E7 CPUs can be 4 - 8 CPU's in single server.

edited September 2016

@bacloud My initial thought was to use servers with Dual Xeon processors, so that we can use upto 24 HT core.

Disk need to be fast since they are intended to be used as DB servers, so IO plays a crucial role in it. It also needs a good network uplink.

• @DevOpsYouKnow said:
    @Junkless - thanks buddy. I'm afraid that we don't have the luxury of trying out something and realise that it's not gonna work after some time. That's why we want to go with a reliable provider from the beginning. And our investors are ok with that.

Btw, SSD is a must, yes :)

I totally understand your point. But the providers I mentioned are very reliable and trusted by the community here. Pick any one of them and you will not be switching anytime soon.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for recommending @Junkless !:)

@DevOpsYouKnow - permission to send a PM :)?

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • "any sufficiently advanced stupid is indistinguishable from genuine malice"
    great quote

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited September 2016

@mycosys said:
    "any sufficiently advanced stupid is indistinguishable from genuine malice"
    great quote

is it relevant to this thread by any chance?

• @DevOpsYouKnow said:

@mycosys said:
    great quote

You said you needed a quote. Its a great quote. Though i hope others can beat it.

• chinmoychinmoy Member
    edited September 2016

@mycosys said:

@DevOpsYouKnow said:

@mycosys said:
    great quote

You said you needed a quote. Its a great quote. Though i hope others can beat it.

Nope...that's not happening. Btw, business school is really cool!

• @DevOpsYouKnow said:
    Guys,

We're planning to deploy some high performance, fault tolerant servers to host our MySQL and Redis servers. We're planning to use E7 processors and a minimum of 128GB of ram per node.

IIRC, E7 are crazy expensive and probably overkill unless you KNOW your choice of database software can actually utilize those dozens of NUMA cores. (mysql is not it AFAIK)

1. These are DB servers, need to be available/up as much as they can. Can you suggest any reliable DC that gives a good SLA for uptime? Please suggest some DCs that you think are good for long term plans

Others here have made good recommendations on DCs.

It's still not clear if you intend to purchase and colo the owned hardware or you'd prefer to RENT with a signed contract for a duration.

Also, it's your responsibility to setup multi-master or a follower Slave DB if the DB must be 100% available for reads.

1. Which processor do you suggest for hosting high performing MySQL nodes

3.3Ghz+ High clock speed E3/E5s with as much fast RAM crammed in as possible was the recommendation as late as 2013.

Your 128GB RAM requirement rules out all E3s(maxes out at 64GB in Skylake)

So , to start off , the single-socket fast E5s are the E5-1650v4 and above : good candidates for high-ram Mysql cpus (upto 1540 GB ram).
    (single socket, if you're colo-ing, because power-usage matters for your bill.
    Look here for ballpark idea of prices: http://ark.intel.com/products/series/91318/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1600-v4-Product-Family#@Server )

As long as your DB's active-data fits in RAM, and your workload is mostly reads, it doesn't matter for most cases.

1. How much it may cost per server with 128-256GB of ram, and SSD storage. I just need a ballpark figure so that we can plan our budget accordingly.

If COLO: first decide on the hardware and corresponding power requirements.
    For storage : Definitely take a look at NVMe PCIe SSD RAID10 (4-8)

If NVMe is too expensive then get SATA 6.0gbps Enterprise DC SSDs from Intel.

The size of the SSD storage tier is determined by your growth projections.

I'd throw in a Redundant PSU requirement for a Database Master server.

If you're in Europe and looking to Rent, Hetzner offers all the options including a private rack to interconnect your servers via their private switches.

• If your database is guaranteed to never grow beyond 430GB , Hetzner PX is a STEAL :

https://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/px121ssd

• @chinmoy said:

@mycosys said:

@DevOpsYouKnow said:

@mycosys said:
    great quote

Nope...that's not happening. Btw, business school is really cool!

Rather like the Uni engineering labs myself

• @DevOpsYouKnow said:
    @pbgben - lol

Neither medical, nor financial. Just a big web app with regular user data. Nothing sensitive.

And oh by the way, we will collect some data to predict suggestions on some products based on our user's browsing behaviors. So there will be analytics, and a lot of data related to that :)

You don't consider user data as sensitive? :o

• @vimalware said:
    For storage : Definitely take a look at NVMe PCIe SSD RAID10 (4-8)

There's no better way to waste money than to spend it on things that won't make any difference.

Thanked by 1DevOpsYouKnow
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@doghouch said:

@DevOpsYouKnow said:
    @pbgben - lol

I hope it was not meant in that way, I was hinting more towards compliance issues.

DevOpsYouKnow: I would suggest the google cloud platform, especially as you said you want to be processing user data for analytics. The platform is designend for that kind of thing, and you may want to look at moving away from MySQL and over to NoSQL

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

If this is only a SQL Server, suggest E5 + LOT of RAM. Try to cache the DB size in RAM for fast I/O.

E7 are overkill. Unless you need special feature like Hardware Failover, Memory mirroring, etc. etc.

ReliableSite, Coresite, Quadranet, Clouvider are pretty rock solid providers for dedicated.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Determine the performance difference from Dual E5 to Dual E7 CPUs

If its not much and the price is significantly different, go with Dual E5s.

Google Cloud is not a bad idea but you won't get as much RAM as you'd like with it. However, it is extremely reliable. I would go with Dual E5s

• Hi OP,

How many individual servers are you looking at? We have some pre-spec'd servers in our Maidenhead (UK) location that can be further upgraded if required. They come with:

Dual E5-2680, 128GB RAM + 16X600GB SAS Drives.

But we have a whole host of other solutions available and can custom build a suitable solution for you. If you're looking long term solution and you need these, it'd be great to talk.

• @doghouch said:

@DevOpsYouKnow said:
    @pbgben - lol

Sorry if it was interpreted that way. Silly Me! I didn't mean that. I just wanted to say that these data are not like financial or medical data.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • Thanks @vimalware, @davidgestiondbi

@pbgben You got me right about the "sensitivity" issue, thanks. Our app was made to work with MySQL and it will not be an option to pick a NoSQL solution at this point. Thanks for your suggestion, man

Thanked by 2gestiondbi PrColo
  • Based on the information provided, I would go with smaller nodes, like PX61-NVMe (fastest I/O). Network connections will probably be the weakest link so smaller nodes will help too.