Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MXRoute down :( - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MXRoute down :(

2»

Comments

• @jarland said:

@WebGuru said:
    @jarland you need some rest...

Just more red bull :D

Thanked by 1jar
  • @HackedServer said:

@busbr said:
    It's a bit concerning that my backup MX has the same IP address, so I thought I would bring this up.

{edited by @jarland}

I too have found this concerning. I wonder how hard it is to set up your own backup queueing SMTP server. Maybe MailCheap supports backup SMTP like MXRoute does.

Okay. So what I am doing right now is putting my domain registrar's forwarding service as the backup MX and emails are being wildcardly forwarded to my Gmail.

@jarland I apologise if that was rude, it is a valid concern for redundancy though. But anyways, cheer up :) .

Thanked by 1PepeSilvia
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

busbr said: I apologise if that was rude

Not rude you just literally posted the only IP that hasn't been hit yet today haha. It's okay, I removed it. I'd do the same for any other host facing this kind of problem. Know that on the relay, I'll always have your back. That IP was in a temporary spot as I shifted things around. It has a 5m TTL and the relay is easily changed on the fly. It's not perfect, but sometimes I trade perfection for a quick solution in the moment.

• ahhhh, this explains why I had a shed load of Junk come through to my inbox this morning... on my first day at Uni :-D

Get some rest @jarland, and in the mean time i'll mass forward all the spam to your helpdesk /jk

Thanked by 2jar GCat
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited September 2016

@jarland said:
    Unfortunately, I'm confident this was a customer who felt that not having DDOS protection was poor planning on my part and wanted to prove it. I can't prove that, it's just several variables that make it a fairly logical conclusion.

If it was whoever you have in mind I don't know if that is the right way to go about it, but I can't say I particularly disagree. It does seem a bit optimistic to not have any plan or protection in place. That said I don't know your internal roadmap or plans, maybe it has been on the table for a while? Anyway I hope things have settled down by now for you.

@jarland said:
    there is no such thing as spam today....it's all whitelisted to prevent SPF failure.

Funny enough I haven't got any, no one emails me I guess.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Dean said: my first day at Uni

Bit old for Uni are you not :)

Thanked by 1GCat
  • DeanDean Member
    edited September 2016

33 is too old? Never! It's a side effect of my deafness unfortunately... I apply for jobs and don't even get through screening because of my "lack of degree level education". So i'm going into full-time education to get my degree... the joys of leaving school at 16 and going into full time work :( and then becoming deaf and unemployable.

Lee said: Bit old for Uni are you not :)

Thanked by 2elflord GCat
  • Aren't there universities where you can study remotely and show up only for exams?

edited September 2016

@Setsura said:

@jarland said:
    Unfortunately, I'm confident this was a customer who felt that not having DDOS protection was poor planning on my part and wanted to prove it. I can't prove that, it's just several variables that make it a fairly logical conclusion.

If it was whoever you have in mind I don't know if that is the right way to go about it, but I can't say I particularly disagree. It does seem a bit optimistic to not have any plan or protection in place. That said I don't know your internal roadmap or plans, maybe it has been on the table for a while? Anyway I hope things have settled down by now for you.

Its been a situation where to please the most number of customers, the best action was to choose no protection. It's definitely easy to add protection, but high volume email traffic and protection often do not go hand in hand as well as one might think. At least not in the budget space. It's a balance of do I prefer a nightly ticket and a lost customer every few weeks over an inability to connect that I'm having zero success troubleshooting or 30 minutes of downtime every 2-3 months. The latter has been the more acceptable answer of the two.

Having protection right now, it didn't take long. Tonight I got the first ticket in months claiming a server is completely down that is, in fact, online and accessible. This is a trend I notice when I take this path, and troubleshooting it has been a very bad experience with customers in most cases. So you see, in my situation reliability has actually been not having DDOS protection. It can be difficult to troubleshoot with the customer and the host as the go between when the customers start to add up, are getting frustrated, and we're in production.

But when a customer forces my hand to add this protection, the user experience becomes negative for everyone involved. That is unfortunate, and I wish I knew who it was. I would be so very glad to refund and never hear from them again. I know it's a customer who is trying to force my hand at lowering service quality for what they think is increasing it, and I wish they would just speak to me about my reasons.

In any case, my Plan B in case of attack is most certainly getting an overhaul. I will remove protection again at some point, but my 5m TTL will remain in place and protection will always be ready to go. I will probably script it with CloudFlare API and UptimeRobot.

Thanked by 3joereid GCat Setsura
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Was this a HTTP flood (wordpress pingback)? I've had several of those at nixstats.

• @vfuse said:
    Was this a HTTP flood (wordpress pingback)? I've had several of those at nixstats.

I don't think so but in any case I am sure @jarland would appreciate a PM instead of publicly discussing it ;)

edited September 2016

vfuse said: Was this a HTTP flood (wordpress pingback)? I've had several of those at nixstats.

I believe the majority of these were UDP and ICMP. You can actually use that as one piece of the puzzle that helped me draw the conclusion about the motivation behind it. An elaborate attack designed to penetrate filters was not really part of this, and it grew quiet the moment they realized filters were in place. (There are more pieces to that puzzle)

Thanked by 1GCat
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:

vfuse said: Was this a HTTP flood (wordpress pingback)? I've had several of those at nixstats.

I believe the majority of these were UDP and ICMP. You can actually use that as one piece of the puzzle that helped me draw the conclusion about the motivation behind it. An elaborate attack designed to penetrate filters was not really part of this, and it grew quiet the moment they realized filters were in place. (There are more pieces to that puzzle)

Good thing you figured out a defensive plan.

Signed up for mxroute a while ago but never got around to setting it up, do you have calendar support as well like google apps?

vfuse said: do you have calendar support as well like google apps?

Technically cPanel added CalDAV and several customers have been using it. For me, it hasn't worked on OS X so while I leave the feature enabled, I don't feel comfortable about advertising it. Seems to be working fine for others.

Thanked by 2vfuse GCat
    edited September 2016

As of this morning I'm working on rolling out monit to swap DNS records (to DDOS protected IP) on a 5m TTL in the case of outages. Tested and working on one server thus far.

Thanked by 3rds100 GCat kkrajk
  • Hey @Jarland hope you're resting up after the problems. Is spam filtering enabled again as i'm still seeing some slipping through?

@Dean said:
    Hey @Jarland hope you're resting up after the problems. Is spam filtering enabled again as i'm still seeing some slipping through?

As of right now it should start improving.

Thanked by 1Dean
    edited September 2016

Monit globally deployed. I should be able to eat lunch next time without working from my phone :)

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • jarland said: For me, it hasn't worked on OS X

I mean... MacOS's Calendar.app is about the only thing it's officially supported on... have you tried asking for help?

@Rallias said:

jarland said: For me, it hasn't worked on OS X

I mean... MacOS's Calendar.app is about the only thing it's officially supported on... have you tried asking for help?

I have not. Haven't been too concerned about it as it's not been in my immediate roadmap. I welcomed the free feature though ;)

• @jarland said:
    Monit globally deployed. I should be able to eat lunch next time without working from my phone :)

Monit is wonderful. I just <3 it for its flexibility.

• isaaclisaacl Member
    edited September 2016

jarland said: As of this morning I'm working on rolling out monit to swap DNS records (to DDOS protected IP) on a 5m TTL in the case of outages. Tested and working on one server thus far.

Would love to see the config that you used, though I guess it also depends on the DNS provider...