Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 16.04 packages
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 16.04 packages

PepeSilviaPepeSilvia Member
edited September 2016 in Help

First time using SolusVM here. Installing Ubuntu 16.04 from an ISO. Near the end of the installation it gives me an option to choose between a few package compilations.

I'm going to be running a LEMP stack on it. My disk space is rather low, so I'd rather not install things most people on a LEMP stack won't need.

Most articles found on Google suggests to install "Standard System Utilities" and "OpenSSH Server". OpenSSH makes sense because I have to login remotely, but do I really need Standard System Utilities? Say if PHP needs something that's in that package, would PHP automatically install that too during installation?

What about "Basic Ubuntu Server"? I need some things from there like CURL, but I can just install them manually. Also on that note I need to install php7.0-curl, when I do install that would it also automatically install curl?

Which options do you usually select for your clients?

Comments

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

I always chose "basic server" option with OpenSSH Server, Sometimes it does not contain "nano" pack then I manually install all required software like Curl, PHP, etc.

PHP installation is easy so I will suggest you to chose basic server option which will save disk from useless application like "games", etc and also there is no any guarantee that standard system utilities contain PHP and even if it contains then its better to manually install it via command or GUI mode.

Thanked by 2PepeSilvia default
  • @DewlanceVPS said:

Sometimes it does not contain "nano" pack

Thats cos real admins use vi/vim

Thanked by 1PepeSilvia
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@mycosys said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

I use both but I prefer nano because of its so easy for me.

Thanked by 1PepeSilvia
  • PepeSilviaPepeSilvia Member
    edited September 2016

@DewlanceVPS said:
    I always chose "basic server" option with OpenSSH Server, Sometimes it does not contain "nano" pack then I manually install all required software like Curl, PHP, etc.

PHP installation is easy so I will suggest you to chose basic server option which will save disk from useless application like "games", etc and also there is no any guarantee that standard system utilities contain PHP and even if it contains then its better to manually install it via command or GUI mode.

Yah I think that's the way I'm going to go. I might not even install "basic server" option, because it has Python 3 and a bunch of other stuff that I don't think I use.

I provision with Ansible. I'll run the playbooks, and if there are any errors I'll just install the appropriate packages and update the playbooks. I just hate trial and error lol.

@mycosys said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

Oh man first time I used vim I was so angry thinking why would someone design an application that's so freakin hard to quit. I know it a little bit better now, but still nano FTW!

• mycosysmycosys Member
    edited September 2016

@DewlanceVPS said:

@mycosys said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

>

@mycosys said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

Oh man first time I used vim I was so angry thinking why would someone design an application that's so freakin hard to quit. I know it a little bit better now, but still nano FTW!

You guys clearly never used ed. Even vi is a dream compared to ed. vim is just amazing.
    Really once you get used to pressing : for command mode vim is pretty easy, and %s/blah/otherblah/g and the like full regex processing are ridiculously powerful text processing tools

edit : If you feel like a little self torture ed should be there on your systems https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_(text_editor)
    then you will find vi positively merciful

• sinsin Member
    edited September 2016

When you install Ubuntu 16.04 (on the very first screen) select expert install along with minimal and then when it comes to package selection just select SSH server and nothing else. That way you can install whatever packages you want once the minimal server is up and running.

Thanked by 1PepeSilvia
    edited September 2016

OpenSSH Server + Standard System Utilities + Basic Ubuntu Server = 1.7 GB

Just OpenSSH Server = 1.1 GB

I'll take it, I only have 9 GB to work with :(

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@DewlanceVPS said:

@mycosys said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

Once you get acclimated to VIM you'll never want to go back to nano.

Thanked by 2PepeSilvia mycosys
  • @PepeSilvia said:

Take a look at tune2fs -m

Thanked by 1PepeSilvia
  • @teamacc said:

@PepeSilvia said:

Take a look at tune2fs -m

That's pretty interesting! It has 5% of the space reserved for root like any other system, is it okay if I bring it down to say 2%? Doesn't really matter though, it's already not very significant at ~460mb.

What else can I do there?

• @mycosys said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

@mycosys said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

>

@mycosys said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

You guys clearly never used ed. Even vi is a dream compared to ed. vim is just amazing.
    Really once you get used to pressing : for command mode vim is pretty easy, and %s/blah/otherblah/g and the like full regex processing are ridiculously powerful text processing tools

edit : If you feel like a little self torture ed should be there on your systems https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_(text_editor)
    then you will find vi positively merciful

real admins use cat
    https://xkcd.com/378/

Thanked by 2PepeSilvia mycosys
    edited September 2016

Lol that further establishes the theory that there's always a relevant XKCD!

• Just to update on the situation, I installed Ubuntu with nothing but "OpenSSH Server" package. PHP, NGINX and MariaDB installed just fine and there were no errors. I assume whatever package they needed from the other package groups were automatically installed.

• mycosysmycosys Member
    edited September 2016

That would be that magical thing called 'dependency resolution' and the entire reason we use apt rather than dpkg. As long as you install enough to access the console and the network, the repos will provide the rest.
    I have a feeling 'ubuntu-minimal' metapackage plus 'OpenSSH' and their deps will work, but didnt want to bet on it