Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drupal VS Joomla in a 512 MB RAM VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Drupal VS Joomla in a 512 MB RAM VPS

I am presently trying to learn ( not even going to host any website for next one year at least) any one of the CMS, the final outcome will be designing a website for an educational institution. I can use Wordpress but I am not able to get into the details about how to create a website using it, it shows only posts in the first page normally, any guidance regarding this will help me.

Now which CMS I can use among this three, I wish to sit and learn it, any one choice by experienced user can guide me to the right CMS which I can learn.

Or is there any other option available than three of them?

Also to test this I wish to run them live while learning in a VPS, can a 512 MB RAM VPS from DO, Vultr or Ramnode will do? Should I go for higher RAM VPS? I am thinking, why should I spend more for learning, hence suggestions are invited in this regard too.

Concerned with the VPS i can install, configure and run comfortably hence it should not be a problem, personally I dont like shared hosting environment for several reasons, even for learning.

Comments

• XAMPP?

• Wordpress should be the easiest of them all to learn. You can easily change the home page from posts to a self created in page using the settings option. There are many tutorials available on the internet for everything related to wordpress.

Regarding VPS, yes, a basic wordpress website can be easily hosted on a 512 MB memory VPS from any of the reputed providers, if you are not going to use any heavy panels like Cpanel/CWP etc.

Though, I would still suggest going the shared hosting way for learning as cpanel will make it much easier to do various tasks when you are learning and messing around.

• Since this is for an educational institution i would stay a million miles form wordpress. User management and security are addons, not built into the system from the start unlike Drupal, Plone, Joomla or even the groundbreaking 'Active' (one of the earliest productions CMS systems) that a friend wrote back in the late 90s

• bersybersy Member
    edited September 2016

I can't speak for Joomla, but 512MB is quite sufficient to running low-traffic Drupal website in my book, but Drupal is much more complicated and sophisticated CMS/CMF than above-mentioned WordPress, take it into consideration while choosing a suitable one.

• Joomla will work fine with 512MB.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2016

Joomla and Drupal are both excellent free CMS systems, very mature and secure enough with an extremely active community both. They can run perfectly in a 512MB vps, depending always with the number and the heaviness of the plugins you may install to them and the daily traffic.
    I have installed a low traffic Joomla 3 installation in a 128MB vps on top of VestaCP there (without mail), that runs like a charm.
    Don't start with Wordpress in any case. Although it is secure in plain mode, the vulnerabilities of many of the plugins are much more than the other two, and WP itself is a lot heavier and worse coded than Joomla/Drupal.
    If you want to do it professionally later, learn first the first two cps and then it will be easier to switch to WP.

Thanked by 1mycosys
  • Drupal hands down! Complex? Sure is. Only if you need it to be. All the way to Drush and hooks and custom add-on PHP scripts. However, core Drupal is more than sufficient for most needs, especially with Views now built into core Drupal8.

If you have any linux admin experience whatsoever, I suggest learning Drush (Drupal Shell) right out of the gate, saving you tons of admin time. IMHO, Drush is what makes Drupal a class of its own :)