Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the average number of KVM VPS you put on a E3 box? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the average number of KVM VPS you put on a E3 box?

Comments

• @serverian said: @George_Fusioned, you can still get it if you have the language skills.

Still, at €1/IP + Flexi Pack, I'm not sure they're a viable solution for someone who needs lots of IPs (VPS Hosting).

• @fileMEDIA said: Costs to much CPU..

It depends on the parameters used. Anyway I don't know if it uses more cpu when you have a lot of VMs.

But rulz!!!! XD

• the base model is €69 however with HW Raid, 4 x drives, IPMI, flexi pack, IP's it is €198 p/month with a silly €399 setup fee.

The majority of budget VPS providers who rent servers from Hetzner are openvz providers who aren't concerned with quality and they tend to be from outside the EU so you can subtract the 19% VAT from the prices shown on Hetzner's website when figuring their costs (prices listed on Hetzner's sites are VAT inclusive).

So...figure €35-€45 VAT exclusive (with no setup fee) for the i7-9xx with RAID 1 and 12GB RAM they picked up from Hetzner's serverbidding site (or €41 + €41 setup/ €50 + €50 setup if they're a big spender and went for the 16GB or 32GB EX4/EX4S i7 with Raid 1) , no IPMI, no HW Raid, plus flexi pack and cost of IPs. There's a reason I avoid most providers operating out of Hetzner's DCs (except for the rare provider who owns their own equipment and colos at Hetzner)

short version: Hetzner is a viable option if providing a quality service isn't one of your concerns and you stick to openvz

• We're no longer in hetzner, we moved when the new ip pricing was rumoured, we didn't want to take the chance

check this (http://status.nodedeploy.com/issues/viewissue/146) this was when we had two nodes in Hetzner, we now have a total of 11 colo'd at globalswitch

• @yomero said: It depends on the parameters used. Anyway I don't know if it uses more cpu when you have a lot of VMs.

But rulz!!!! XD

It´s overselling too :) In our test environment it costs @ 30 VMs 80% cpu power from one core only for KSM. That´s not nice. I think 32GB RAM is not the problem, but the i/o performance is important. It should be at 30 VMs per Node you need more than 6 disks (hdd) @ Raid10 (+2x SSDs as flashcache is better) to get a good performance. In one year is the time to sell only SSD based VMs.

• @fileMEDIA said: It´s overselling too

I didn't said it isn't

@fileMEDIA said: 80% cpu power

Maybe you need to tweak it a little bit
    For me is using 2% if I force it to run (the ksmtuned daemon does his work for stopping and starting it apparently and maybe it tweaks some stuff too), but I only have 3 vms

For me is a safe way to oversell :P

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

What's the average number of KVM VPS you put on a E3 box?

1 per core less 1 for the virtualisation os itself, so max 11, usually less.

• Ben1002Ben1002 Member
    edited April 2013

@othelloRob

Since when does an e3 have 12 cores....
    Not only that, there is no way you can make a profit only putting 1 per core at LEB/LET pricing ....

• @yomero said: For me is using 2% if I force it to run (the ksmtuned daemon does his work for stopping and starting it apparently and maybe it tweaks some stuff too), but I only have 3 vms

With 20 or 30 VMs the ksm process needs to much power. I don´t know why yet, but i find it out :)

• @Liam Hence why I stated "At LEB/LET pricing"

£70 for a 1GB VPS :O Even at $15 - 18 it is still reasonably profitable for most.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

Our target for an E3 is 62 512mb containers, or any division there-of.

The KVM node's health from earlier today: http://damianharouff.name/images/screenshots/emeraldstatus.png

• @Damian said: Our target for an E3 is 62 512mb containers, or any division there-of.

+1 That's going to be our new strategy too.

Since when does an e3 have 12 cores....

I must be confusing cpu model numbers - they've always been largey meaningless - E3 is a quad then, so with a duial-cpu system we would have put a max of 7 VM's on there
    (have moved to dual HexCore cpu's for all our virtual dedicted services now)

@BenND
    Not only that, there is no way you can make a profit only putting 1 per core at LEB/LET pricing ....

We dont offer KVM Virtuals at LET/LEB pricing :p

• @othelloRob - I don't think there are any E3-2xxx series processors... if there are, I can't find them.

• @Damian

Hmm, our e5 2620 would struggle with that many on it, any optimisations?

• @BenND said: Hmm, our e5 2620 would struggle with that many on it, any optimisations?

We've learned that, since about 2008 or so when multi-core server CPUs became prevalent, it's all about the disk i/o. This an SSD-cached node.

• E5 2620 has almost the half power of a E3 1270v2

• JacobJacob Member

@serverian I've never really checked into that, but what is more important for KVM # cores or Performance..?

• serverianserverian Member
    edited April 2013

@Jacob, I've always went with more cores. Now, I'm experimenting less faster cores. We'll see...

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

@serverian said: E5 2620 has almost the half power of a E3 1270v2

Ehh they have different focuses. The E3 runs at a higher frequency, the E5 has more cores.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/197/Intel_Xeon_E3-1270_v2_vs_Intel_Xeon_E5-2620.html

We run E3s because we're not to the point yet where the large price spike between E3 and E5 makes sense. This is our first KVM node, and it was based off what CVPS specifies for their Xen nodes, and it's doing great.

I've been considering going back to Opterons, since AMD doesn't arbitrarily cripple their server processors with a 32gb RAM limit or uniprocessor-only like Intel does with the E3 series. People keep telling me "omfg amd r teh suk" but can't really tell me how/why. Our existing Opteron-powered nodes don't seem to be having issues....

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

@serverian said: Now, I'm experimenting less faster cores. We'll see...

This is what we go with. We don't allow clients to hammer a CPU all to themselves for an excessive period of time, so the faster the processor runs, the faster the client can complete their actions, which then frees the CPU for other clients to use.

• @Damian said: AMD doesn't arbitrarily cripple

Yeah, actually AMD makes some very good processors and very good bang for the buck ratio. However i am planning to replace our older AMD based nodes, since it seems the reputation of AMD is much worse than the reputation on Intel. For some strange reason people would dislike beeing on an AMD powered node, even if it performs very well.

• I'm also tempted to try a 63XX series.

• @serverian we run a 32 core AMD box with 128GB ram. Runs nicely.

• @Damian said: We've learned that, since about 2008 or so when multi-core server CPUs became prevalent, it's all about the disk i/o. This an SSD-cached node.

Yeah, exactly :) We are going to use smaller nodes with max. <30 VMs and 4 hdds in raid10 + small ssd cache.

• JacobJacob Member

Anyone use them arima mobos with 4 x AMD Quad Core, they're a few years old but look ok for the price.

• @Jacob said: Anyone use them arima mobos with 4 x AMD Quad Core, they're a few years old but look ok for the price.

Would probably be cheaper to use a 1x AMD 16-core. If not in initial price, definitely over the long run, since AMD CPUs tend to be 1 amp ea on 120v power.

Yeah, actually AMD makes some very good processors and very good bang for the buck ratio

As long as you dont mind the odd random crash for now apparent reason, although mostly a Windoze issue, I have seen some strange python errors which only happen on AMD CPU's.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@othelloRob said: As long as you dont mind the odd random crash for now apparent reason, although mostly a Windoze issue, I have seen some strange python errors which only happen on AMD CPU's.

I have one servers with dual 8 core Opterons and haven't had any random crashes or other unusual behaviour since I colocated it.

Running Linux of course... I will use AMD systems for all KVM nodes in future because of the higher density options since they don't have the low RAM limit like what Damian mentioned. :)