Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More $ spent for services = More Reliable service provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

More $ spent for services = More Reliable service provider?

interserverMLinterserverML Member
edited March 2013 in General

Do you think much expensive services guarantee a more reliable provider?

For me not necessarily.. .Because there are actually cheaper services that sometimes we neglect but gives us more quality service than those much expensive ones. Price does not define everything for me. :)

How bout you guys?

Comments

• Usually Yes

• You have to consider if they are offering the same features. Often they are not.

• I don't think the price is in direct correlation to the reliability, but you need to make sure that you know what you're buying for the money.

• This is not always the case but usually more $ means less neighbors on the same shared resource (i.e. a VPS node). Which might lead to more reliability.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yep, more $$ paid to a trustworthy host means they can:

Afford-
    better hardware
    better staff
    premium locations
    lower density

I pay around $40 p/m for a 512mb box, never been down in 2 years, blisteringly fast, excellent location, great support staff, 15k drives.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Amazon EC2 has been more reliable than 123systems.

But buyvm has been just as reliable as linode. And given last month's "we forgot to renew the cert," more reliable than Azure.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

Yes & no.

Some of my LEBs at smaller providers have been more reliable then my Gigenet Cloud. It has had 3 SAN failures (3 hours planned maintenance which eventually took further 3 hours because of some issues) and then 2 other random SAN issues causing everything to go down for 7+ hrs (global outage with other users)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited March 2013

just good balance and lots of research

Edit:
    but yes, if you pay more the better chance the host will not deadpool

• IshaqIshaq Member

@AnthonySmith said: I pay around $40 p/m for a 512mb box, never been down in 2 years, blisteringly fast, excellent location, great support staff, 15k drives.

What host is this o.o

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We have both Professional and Biz lines, the latter being undersold and the first not oversold.
    So, there are fewer neighbors on the Biz line than on Pro, also some potentially troublesome services are not allowed (IRC, Games, video chat servers, etc).
    So, in theory, you can have a range of services from the same provider.

@Ishaq racksrv

• Rackspace is cheaper than Linode :P

• Do you think much expensive services guarantee a more reliable provider?

Absolutely not.

There are ample horrible providers in all price ranges.

However, in true business world pricing, services come with SLAs and other guarantees. To accomplish that correctly the company must have monitoring, proactive systems in place, advanced technical staff with under fire experience.

Too much of the LEB market are one man shops with a few at best others fielding the tickets. Even Superman has a bad day or week eventually.

It's more cost effective to string together several good LEB providers than a true high cost business offer with single point of failure.

• true pubcrawler.

• But stringing a 3 VPS solution together requires work and babysitting. It can become a point of failure if the owner/admin isn't on top of it with the know how, long term upkeep, etc.

There is a reason why Nginx is being totally exploited out in the wild for reverse proxying functionality. It is a HEAVILY used for this purpose. Low entry know-how curve... Doing it totally right, much more time investment.

Folks can keep their clouds and promises of always working and every other new fangled rehash of redundancy. Everything breaks eventually. Likelihood of two different systems with different companies doing such at the very same time, low. Three of them, ahh never down.

• @BronzeByte said: Rackspace is cheaper than Linode :P

Hopefully you are trolling

• bobbybobby Member

Yes and no. Prometeus and Torqhost (and many others too, @AnthonySmith included :) have support/uptime/performance that own more many of the more "expensive" hosts.

Used quite a few before I discovered this place.

• Agreed, Yes and No.

It depend on 'who' behind the services. But at first glance it surely more money equal better services.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

When I see high price, I expect more effort and more power behind the services be it in underselling or in man power. I expect more expensive network equipment, better datacenter choices, an all around attention to quality.

What educated consumers know is that higher price doesn't necessarily imply this. However, to some degree, lower prices can out right rule the above out, if those prices are very low and there is no alternate strategy for income. So I guess what I'm saying is that with price comes expectation. If, upon examination, you offer no information as to why I should choose you over someone less expensive, then good day.

My most interesting experience lately has been in looking at cloud VPS. If you're more expensive because it's "cloud" and "cloud" means I can adjust a RAM slider and reprovision my own VPS, not a thing more, go die in a fire. That, by the way, is aimed at no provider here. None that I'm aware of anyway. It's aimed at some of the higher priced ones that I came across elsewhere.

Well higher prices give hosts the ability to offer higher grade services however that does not mean that they do :) but it is not hard to find this out.

For example I 'could' offer hosted MS exchange mailboxes for €3.00 p/month with 99% uptime, I could offer self healing clustered solution over multiple locations and data centres with 100% uptime and a financially guaranteed SLA for €9.00 p/month. but the truth is the €3.00 service would be much more popular.

• RyanDRyanD Member

@jarland said: What educated consumers know is that higher price doesn't necessarily imply this. However, to some degree, lower prices can out right rule the above out, if those prices are very low and there is no alternate strategy for income. So I guess what I'm saying is that with price comes expectation. If, upon examination, you offer no information as to why I should choose you over someone less expensive, then good day.

My most interesting experience lately has been in looking at cloud VPS. If you're more expensive because it's "cloud" and "cloud" means I can adjust a RAM slider and reprovision my own VPS, not a thing more, go die in a fire. That, by the way, is aimed at no provider here. None that I'm aware of anyway. It's aimed at some of the higher priced ones that I came across elsewhere.

^THIS.

It's equally as tough from a provider aspect explaining to a soley budget focused client why your service costs more than One-Man-Show Provider X.

You are all absolutely correct that, yes, it does in fact cost more to provide a higher level of service and reliability from an operational standpoint. Things like actually installing batteries in your UPS, testing them regularly, testing your switch gear, generator, etc regularly. Doing preventative maint work on all critical infrastructure, cooling, etc.

• It depends on how reputable the provider is.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@interserverML said: Do you think much expensive services guarantee a more reliable provider?

No, they don't.

While a certain level of service will require a certain amount of money to be charged, this is a one-way relationship. That that amount of money is being charged, does not mean you're guaranteed to receive the level of service that you could have gotten for that money elsewhere.

• blackblack Member

To disprove a claim, one only has to provide a counter-example

Linode charges 3-4 times the price of BuyVM / Hostigation / RamNode / others
    Stability is about the same (before BuyVM move to Vegas)
    Also considering the time before Linode started their upgrades

Quod erat demonstrandum.