Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions regarding Webdevelopers/Webdesigners hiring/certifications - what do you expect? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some questions regarding Webdevelopers/Webdesigners hiring/certifications - what do you expect?

2»

Comments

• MrGeneral said: Not a programmer myself. But I do have my programmers and they definitely do know their arguments :)

Not going to battle it though. It's not worth it.

You don't even know your programmers' arguments, so no, definitely not worth arguing it, with you at least not.

And what joepie says is true: Angular doesn't leave you with much flexibility...

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2016

Just a quick heads up: Ultimately I have decided to not attend some sort of Uni/Away-Studies kinda thing but instead stick to two online courses I bought a while back as I think they cover things quite good. After finishing these I hope I will have a somewhat solid base and gonna start building a decent portfolio (which I will already try during the courses ofc) and also gonna look into some Start Ups in Germany (probably around Berlin).
    Additionally I am acctually attending Uni studying "Media&Communication Studies" which I'd reckon in the end can be added as a "nice to have" along with my portfolio :)

As for the Online Webdev Courses Content:

HTML5

CSS3

JavaScript

PHP

MySQL

AngularJS

NodeJS

ExpressJS

PassportJS

Photoshop

WordPress

Writing Plugins for WordPress

Bootstrap

SemanticUI

DOM Manipulation

jQuery

Unix (Command Line) Commands

NPM

REST

MongoDB

Authentication

Authorization

They seem to cover quite a lot, anything missing in particular?

@classy @MrGeneral

• @Falzo Given you are from Germany, too I'd appreciate your input on this? How much do you think are the certified qualifications I mentioned worth (ISOs and SGD cert) compared to Bachelor/Master? How good would you deem my chances to find a job with this?

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Okay just giving my opinion regarding this, you do not need to know all the languages to get a decent job or work as a freelancer. The thing about web dev/design is that there are thousand of them with lots of experience and they still can't find some work/job.

Unless you're going to work on some big company, you don't need a degree either. I mean ofcourse it is more professional to have one however that is not the one which will find you a job.

First focus on what you want to become, a front end or back end developer. Those are completely two different things and you should be better focusing on just one rather then both. Which one do you like most?

I would recommend you first learn and perfect the languages which you are gonna work with, no need to learn them all it's pointless. Then find people that are looking for a developer with your requirements, tell them you'lll do it for free. Do a few of those, setup a portofolio, show your work you have done and put a price for yourself.

You can either work as a freelancer or on some web company, but keep in mind working as freelancer will be a pain in the ass, sometimes you'll have a lot of work and sometimes you won't have money in your pockets to even pay your portofolio's host :|

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @armandorg said:
    Okay just giving my opinion regarding this, you do not need to know all the languages to get a decent job or work as a freelancer. The thing about web dev/design is that there are thousand of them with lots of experience and they still can't find some work/job.

Unless you're going to work on some big company, you don't need a degree either. I mean ofcourse it is more professional to have one however that is not the one which will find you a job.

First focus on what you want to become, a front end or back end developer. Those are completely two different things and you should be better focusing on just one rather then both. Which one do you like most?

I would recommend you first learn and perfect the languages which you are gonna work with, no need to learn them all it's pointless. Then find people that are looking for a developer with your requirements, tell them you'lll do it for free. Do a few of those, setup a portofolio, show your work you have done and put a price for yourself.

You can either work as a freelancer or on some web company, but keep in mind working as freelancer will be a pain in the ass, sometimes you'll have a lot of work and sometimes you won't have money in your pockets to even pay your portofolio's host :|

Thanks for the great input :) I guess I'd pref frontend dev so I guess I will go with HTML/CSS/JS and common libraries like bootstrap/jquery.. Maybe I will also dive a bit more into design as in Photoshop to add as a "feature". I guess I can help out in backend too though as js can be used with node.js for backend tasks which makes it an awesome pick :)

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:

Sounds like a nice plan, since you're choosing front end for any questions you might have, hit me up :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @armandorg said:

@Ympker said:

Sounds like a nice plan, since you're choosing front end for any questions you might have, hit me up :)

Haha thanks mate :) Do you have a GitHub I can follow?

• @Ympker said:
    @Falzo Given you are from Germany, too I'd appreciate your input on this? How much do you think are the certified qualifications I mentioned worth (ISOs and SGD cert) compared to Bachelor/Master? How good would you deem my chances to find a job with this?

I honestly can't tell much about how this might work for acquiring a job as I am a freelancer/sole trader for years now and never really applied for a job like in your situation.

what I can tell is that for getting 'work' a lot depends on what people you know and how they may be able to vouch for you. and of course it matters what you are really capable of doing...

I think you don't really need a big portfolio or showroom, you need to be able to proof yourself quickly. I don't even have page about me or something like that - but that's just me and my personal experience.
    after all probably not comparable to finding a real job and the expectations of those deciding about.

My son isn't yet your age, but if he would ask me what to do after high school, I'd suggest him to look for a combined/dual study program or at least do a regular apprenticeship. earning some while still learning probably isn't the badest thing. more than that, he might be able to make contacts in the business he like to get involved -even earlier then students usually do.

also if he'd feel under-occpupied he could always do certificates and whatnots in addition... yet it might be harder to climb the ladder from there, depending on how easy let yourself get stuck in a position or how fast you are willing to change directions ;-)

good luck with your choice, however you decide ;-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Falzo said:

@Ympker said:
    @Falzo Given you are from Germany, too I'd appreciate your input on this? How much do you think are the certified qualifications I mentioned worth (ISOs and SGD cert) compared to Bachelor/Master? How good would you deem my chances to find a job with this?

I honestly can't tell much about how this might work for acquiring a job as I am a freelancer/sole trader for years now and never really applied for a job like in your situation.

what I can tell is that for getting 'work' a lot depends on what people you know and how they may be able to vouch for you. and of course it matters what you are really capable of doing...

I think you don't really need a big portfolio or showroom, you need to be able to proof yourself quickly. I don't even have page about me or something like that - but that's just me and my personal experience.
    after all probably not comparable to finding a real job and the expectations of those deciding about.

My son isn't yet your age, but if he would ask me what to do after high school, I'd suggest him to look for a combined/dual study program or at least do a regular apprenticeship. earning some while still learning probably isn't the badest thing. more than that, he might be able to make contacts in the business he like to get involved -even earlier then students usually do.

also if he'd feel under-occpupied he could always do certificates and whatnots in addition... yet it might be harder to climb the ladder from there, depending on how easy let yourself get stuck in a position or how fast you are willing to change directions ;-)

good luck with your choice, however you decide ;-)

Thanks for the feedback bud :) I take it you are a freelance Sysmin?
    Good going there^^ Btw. if I were to take some jobs as a Freelancer (e.g. on upwork and the likes) would this still be considered "Freiberufler" or would I need a "Gewerbe"? I was under the impression that Webdesigner/Webdeveloper would fall under "Freiberufler" regarding him similar to what an artist is (who also does not need a Gewerbe).
    http://www.freelancer-blog.de/freiberufler-oder-gewerbe/

Cheers mate!

• @Ympker said:

I'll probably better reply via PM in German, as this is supposed to be a lot easier ;-)

Thanked by 1Ympker