Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reliable, Cheap, Chicago ... Can I have all 3?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reliable, Cheap, Chicago ... Can I have all 3?

Clearly, ChicagoVPS is not what I am after.

Anyone good in Chicago? Prefer KVM or ZEN, all other specs can be micro.

Comments

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

@sidewinder said:
    Prefer KVM or ZEN

Zen VPS? :D

Thanked by 2FrankZ adxn
  • Virmach?

Been good to me so far but is OVZ

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I think Iniz has Chicago as an option, they do some affordable small resource plans (OVZ) but not sure about KVM. @kt

Thanked by 1kt
  • OpticalSwoosh said: Virmach?

Been good to me so far but is OVZ

Virmach also offers KVM in Chicago.

In my experience so far (not in Chicago but in Atlanta), Virmach is a decent provider.

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

Harambe said: I think Iniz has Chicago as an option, they do some affordable small resource plans (OVZ) but not sure about KVM. @kt

We have OVZ but no KVM in Chicago but it is pretty cheap & reliable so far.

https://openvz.io >> Extreme Plans

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I do have a KVM instance from Virmach in Chicago and it's working flawless. For me it offers very good network connectivity. Disk I/O is not the very best but should be fine for average use.

• Not the cheapest, but KVM, reliable and Chicago.

https://securedragon.net/#kvm

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

sidewinder said: Clearly, ChicagoVPS is not what I am after.

Is there a reason for your thinking on this? Im confident in saying that no one else can offer the great product we do at the price point published.

• I'd be interested in some Chicago options as well. Right now if I needed Chicago the only thing I'd probably use would be Vultr, but its $5/month and its in the Chicago suburbs. I'd rather it be in downtown Chicago.

• CVPS_Chris said: Is there a reason for your thinking on this?

He said explicitely 'reliable'. ChicagoVPS⇋ can not provide that.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2016

I tried out HostMada and their service was decent, however, they only offer OpenVZ it seems. They do however have a decent quarterly deal in the thread below:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/81473/hostmada-1gbit-port-free-anti-ddos-from-1-99-mo-50-off-6-usa-eu-locations

I have also tested out HOST1PLUS's beta KVM that they released in Chicago. It has been pretty decent. Haven't done a lot of network testing, but the server is pretty snappy. You may consider checking them out and see if it fits your needs. They have a promo going I believe: Promo code: CS30OFF for 30% off.

Unfortunately a lot of the provider who were previously offering services out of SingleHop or Steadfast seem to have been run off by high renewal costs at their DC's. I haven't been able to find many good reliable options with KVM in Chicago.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1Mad
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

hostingwizard_net said: He said explicitely 'reliable'. ChicagoVPS⇋ can not provide that.

You don't know how bad I feel when I see this... Sure, Chris is not one of my fav pals, but his service has been rock-solid for me for the past 3 years or so.

• @kt said:

Harambe said: I think Iniz has Chicago as an option, they do some affordable small resource plans (OVZ) but not sure about KVM. @kt

We have OVZ but no KVM in Chicago but it is pretty cheap & reliable so far.

https://openvz.io >> Extreme Plans

A little mistake there:

128MB plan (extreme line) should be $10/year or something, not /mo

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@hostingwizard_net said:

CVPS_Chris said: Is there a reason for your thinking on this?

He said explicitely 'reliable'. ChicagoVPS⇋ can not provide that.

We've made very significant improvements the past year. The service is quite good now. We're not perfect but Nick and crew work very hard to please.

CHICAGOVPS services are pretty reliable today.

• That $25/m dedicated on ChicagoVPS is super tempting, but I'm super cheap. :(

• NickNick Member, Patron Provider

netomx said: You don't know how bad I feel when I see this... Sure, Chris is not one of my fav pals, but his service has been rock-solid for me for the past 3 years or so.

I am glad to hear that, we have been working hard to make things rock-solid!!!

daily said: That $25/m dedicated on ChicagoVPS is super tempting, but I'm super cheap. :(

Shoot me a message, I'll hook you up @daily.

• I can confirm, I have two vps with ChicagoVps and their service is pretty good these days

• daily said: That $25/m dedicated on ChicagoVPS is super tempting, but I'm super cheap. :(

That's a smart server, I would not call it a dedicated server tbh.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@daily said:
    That $25/m dedicated on ChicagoVPS is super tempting, but I'm super cheap. :(

Indeed, almost fits my needs. Almost.

• netomx said: You don't know how bad I feel when I see this...

No need. Just different experiences. (in which DC are you?)

netomx said: Sure, Chris is not one of my fav pals, but his service has been rock-solid for me for the past 3 years or so.

I had 5 VPS with them. Today I only have one and so far it's running fine (Los Angeles). However, all the other four were cancelled (over the years) because they were not reliable enough. The fourth one that I didn't renew this summer was in Atlanta.

jbiloh said: We've made very significant improvements the past year. The service is quite good now. We're not perfect but Nick and crew work very hard to please. CHICAGOVPS services are pretty reliable today.

I'm not denying the improvements or the work. There is probably still good reasons to get one of their VPS, depending on what you're looking for (memory, network, etc) or what you're running on it. But reliability is not one of them (I experienced quite a lot of downtime/unreachability), even in 2016 (Atlanta).

Again: my experience, my opinion.

• NickNick Member, Patron Provider

hostingwizard_net said: I'm not denying the improvements or the work. There is probably still good reasons to get one of their VPS, depending on what you're looking for (memory, network, etc) or what you're running on it. But reliability is not one of them (I experienced quite a lot of downtime/unreachability), even in 2016 (Atlanta).

I am sorry to hear about the issues you had in the past, any chance I can get you to try things out again at one of our divisions at half off?

• VSNX_Nick said: Shoot me a message, I'll hook you up @daily.

PM'd!

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@netomx said:

hostingwizard_net said: He said explicitely 'reliable'. ChicagoVPS⇋ can not provide that.

You don't know how bad I feel when I see this... Sure, Chris is not one of my fav pals, but his service has been rock-solid for me for the past 3 years or so.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear things are going well with your CHICAGOVPS service.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • VPSCheap.net sells OpenVZ VPSes out of Tzulo in Chicago.
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/vpscheap-net-unmetered-vps-starting-at-10year-in-chicago-usa/

I have 2 colo server with Tzulo and am extremely happy.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@sidewinder said:
    Clearly, ChicagoVPS is not what I am after.

Anyone good in Chicago? Prefer KVM or ZEN, all other specs can be micro.

We provide SSD KVM VPS in Chicago with 1000GB monthly bandwidth and at $7/mo.

• We can help you out in Chicago with a KVM VPS.

1GB RAM, 75GB HD, 3TB Bandwidth - $5.99/mo.

You can order by clicking here or get in touch if you have any questions.

Cheers,

MM