Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest 'standard' TLD price?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest 'standard' TLD price?

I'm looking to buy a bunch of domains. They're not for public consumption so any old shit will do, and as such I'd like them to be cheap as chips, but I would like them to be all the same.

Therefore, I'd like to know what the cheapest 'standard price' TLD is. I'm not interested in promotional pricing, as I want to be able to renew year-on-year without a massive price hike.

So far, I'm seeing:

• .site
  • .bid
  • .cricket
  • .date
  • .download
  • .faith
  • .loan
  • .party
  • .racing
  • .review
  • .science
  • .stream
  • .trade
  • .webcam
  • .win

All of which are less than $2, but are also shit, which I assume is why they are cheap. At the moment I'm leaning towards .tech domains at around $4, but just curious to know if there's something cheaper and potentially better, that's available to register world-wide.

Comments

• Why go with a cheap new domain? Good ol' reliable com/net/org/ca/etc always work? Not the cheapest, but if you want up in google, your chances are increased a ton.

• GCat said: Why go with a cheap new domain? Good ol' reliable com/net/org/ca/etc always work? Not the cheapest, but if you want up in google, your chances are increased a ton.

As I said before these aren't for public consumption - I don't want them turning up in google. Infact, id I set things up right, no-one will see them aside from me.

It's purely for vanity that I don't want to use those ugly cheap domains, but I will do if need be, just wanted to see what options I had first.

• .ru seems to be the cheapest. .ro is around 50eur 1 time fee. Here's a fun one: https://www.ovh.ie/domains/dotwang.xml but it's 9eur/month.

Thanked by 2Nekki GCat
  • xaoc said: Here's a fun one: https://www.ovh.ie/domains/dotwang.xml but it's 9eur/month.

.wang is actually brilliant. Maybe I'll stretch my budget...

Thanked by 2xaoc GCat
  • I have a dozen registrars and their prices in a DB. what you've listed is pretty much TLDs run by Alpnames, and they generally seem to be the cheapest at regular rates for reg and renewal. $0.89 registratation and $1.49 renewal ATM.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • ricardo said: I have a dozen registrars and their prices in a DB. what you've listed is pretty much TLDs run by Alpnames, and they generally seem to be the cheapest at regular rates for reg and renewal. $0.89 registratation and $1.49 renewal ATM.

I thought that might be the case, I guess I was just hoping there was some nifty, oft-ignored TLD I'd missed.

• There's also .work with SRSPlus/NetworkSolutions. $1.33 reg and renewal

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

That porkbun service someone pointed out has a few like .click and .download at $1.xx/yr, and it seemed like you could pick 10 year reg and it would keep the rate.. not sure about if you just did 1 year then renewal though.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Have you thought of just one domain and a giant bunch of subdomains? Or does that not suit your particular needs for the planned usage?

• Amitz said: Have you thought of just one domain and a giant bunch of subdomains? Or does that not suit your particular needs for the planned usage?

I did consider that, it'll just make things easier for my failing memory if I can split each 'tier' of my infrastructure up using different domain names.

• I can understand this just fine!

• Great topic. Add more to the list please. Domains with cheap regular price which allow you to register for say 10 years. Ru doesn't allow it. Ro is one time, but just for now (who knows when they'll start charging).

• @elwebmaster said:
    Great topic. Add more to the list please. Domains with cheap regular price which allow you to register for say 10 years. Ru doesn't allow it. Ro is one time, but just for now (who knows when they'll start charging).

That's not what I'm looking fo personally, I only want to be able to register year-on-year.

• about how many domains are we talking and do you have a valid VAT ID for excemption?

if you'd consider good old .de just let me know. price may be cheaper then you think, but probably a lot of names are taken anyways compared to that nTLD shit :-)

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2016

Falzo said: about how many domains are we talking and do you have a valid VAT ID for excemption?

5+, and no, no VAT ID.

Falzo said: if you'd consider good old .de just let me know. price may be cheaper then you think, but probably a lot of names are taken anyways compared to that nTLD shit :-)

Do you have to be a DE resident to register a .de domain?

• You need a German contact for the admin contact, but to be fair just putting up a valid address works just fine.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Nekki said: Do you have to be a DE resident to register a .de domain?

no, you don't.

you need to name a german resident as admin-c though, but you already might know one ;-)

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Falzo said: you need to name a german resident as admin-c though, but you already might know one ;-)

Will bear that in mind, cheers.

• The cheapest is .ru.

Thanked by 1ru_tld
  • .ovh - cheap (US$ 1.3/y, even for renewal up to 10 yr), stands for Online Virtual Hosting (or Outrageous Vaginal Hygiene if you like it better)

• Avoid Radix, go with Famous Four Media. Much better registry.