Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BIRD / Quagga - need some private lessons
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BIRD / Quagga - need some private lessons

DXDDXD Member
edited September 2016 in Help

If anyone is experienced with BIRD / Quagga please PM me. Need to get some lessons from you.

Low budget, but will pay as much as i can.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

Comments

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Join #dn42 and start playing around with it, plenty of help there.

Thanked by 1elflord
  • dn42 is indeed the easist to start

• Thanks everyone . Starting using dn42 but have some real noob questions(you will laugh at them), i joined the irc but cant seem to find their channel :/

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

What are your questions? List them here, someone will either help you out for free or offer you paid help for it. You have much bigger chance in getting this going if you list what you need to know publicly

• @DXD said:
    Thanks everyone . Starting using dn42 but have some real noob questions(you will laugh at them), i joined the irc but cant seem to find their channel :/

Try using the mailing list.

• Well i am pretty much NOOB, so here is my questions :

1. How do i connect a router("bird") to the ASN ?

2. is it possible say i have 1.1.1.1/24 , and i have peering to AS1 , AS2 , AS3 - to route say 1.1.1.1/27 to AS1 only , 1.1.1.34/27 to AS2 only and so on ?
      Like anycast concept ?

3. I have seen in the he bgp toolkit , , what is this ? "ROA signed and valid" ?

1. Have you read https://dn42.net/howto/Bird

In simple terms, to link yourself to an ASN you create a bgp session with that ASN's router.

2. The minimum you can announce over BGP is technically /24, you can announce lower if its not public facing (ie internal), public routers will ignore anything smaller than /24. To anycast, you have to announce the same /24 across multiple locations.

3. ROA = Route Origin Authorization, basically a way for network operators/routers to confirm that your ASN is allowed to announce the prefixes.

• @r0t3n said:
    1. Have you read https://dn42.net/howto/Bird

In simple terms, to link yourself to an ASN you create a bgp session with that ASN's router.

1. The minimum you can announce over BGP is technically /24, you can announce lower if its not public facing (ie internal), public routers will ignore anything smaller than /24. To anycast, you have to announce the same /24 across multiple locations.

2. ROA = Route Origin Authorization, basically a way for network operators/routers to confirm that your ASN is allowed to announce the prefixes.

Thanks.

For 1, i followed the guide and got it.
    but there are some questions still with me, like how does my router knows that this ASN is mine ? or like in real time with real RIR, it works like this too ?

for 2, I have multiple peers AS1 AS2 and etc.
    Say i want 1.1.1.2 to be accessible with the best route through either of these, so i just announce them at multiple locations and that's it ?

3 - got it. Need to do some more research about this.

• DXD said: For 1, i followed the guide and got it. but there are some questions still with me, like how does my router knows that this ASN is mine ? or like in real time with real RIR, it works like this too ?

A BGP session has to be configured on both sides, so the operator of the ASN you are wanting to link with will need to verify you and configure their end. Most upstreams also require LOA's for prefixes and also have their own filters etc.

DXD said: for 2, I have multiple peers AS1 AS2 and etc. Say i want 1.1.1.2 to be accessible with the best route through either of these, so i just announce them at multiple locations and that's it ?

If you are wanting anycast, then yes to get the benefits of anycast you would want to announce your prefixes from multiple locations. Its just not as simple as that though, anycast requires a lot of knowledge and constant monitoring as routing mishaps will occur.

It seems your more after this option. If you only have one location but multiple upstreams/gateways/peers, BGP is a path-vector routing protocol which will select the best path to be used. This does not factor in hops/speed/latency/etc so if you know which path is best you can use localpref/med to manipulate the best path. This is basically for outbound routing, if you want to influence inbound routing, you will need to use bgp-communities, and things can get far more complicated as there is really no standard, each network operator could have different communities etc.