Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use for caching package updates?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use for caching package updates?

RalliasRallias Member
edited March 2013 in General

Today's template rebuilding day over here at BlueVM (at least, until the new server comes in, then that takes priority). I'm taking advantage of this time to have all the templates use a local cache if at all possible. I've set up apt-cacher-ng for debian/ubuntu, but I'm at a loss as to what to do for rpm-based distributions.

Comments

• edited March 2013

yum automatically finds the closest mirror using the fastestmirror plugin (installed by default).

You could however edit /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo and add your own baseurl
    (eg baseurl=http://192.168.*.*/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/) under [base] and
    baseurl=http://192.168.*.*/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/ under [update].

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited March 2013

@George_Fusioned said: yum automatically finds the closest mirror using the fastestmirror plugin (installed by default).

I get that, the thing is I'd rather that fastestmirror be on our servers as a cache instead of out there, just to save some bandwidth that may come in handy in the future (it's bloody $25 a terabyte)

Also, the goal is minimal disk space. I don't want to cache the whole damn mirror.

• I'm not sure you can do otherwise. Although apt-cacher ng also supports CentOS, I've read it's very buggy.

You probably need to keep mirroring CentOS base after all.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I did has George_Fusioned Mentioned. Just made a little script to replace / edit the repo file on centos to point to the local mirror.

• If you have access to the network itself, you could simply run some sort of HTTP cache with a specific ruleset to cache only what you want.

Bluecoat is popular with medium sized ISPs, but there are options.

• Couldn't you just nginx reverse proxy with cache?

• Run a public CentOS mirror, then hope that the fastest mirror will pick it up. That's what i do - run a public/official debian, slackware and CentOS mirrors.

• lbftlbft Member

@rds100 said: Run a public CentOS mirror, then hope that the fastest mirror will pick it up. That's what i do - run a public/official debian, slackware and CentOS mirrors.

If saving bandwidth is the goal, running a public mirror is probably not the best idea ;)

• @lbft haha, true :) Although it really doesn't use that much bandwidth.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Then run a private local mirror...

• @rds100 said: Although it really doesn't use that much bandwidth.

How much is 'that much'?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2013

@Patrick i don't know in terms of Gigabytes - i only have mrtg graphs for the mirrors.

Debian mirror:

CentOS mirror:

Slackware mirror:

Kernel.org mirror:

• @rds100 said: @Patrick i don't know in terms of Gigabytes - i only have mrtg graphs for the mirrors.

How many GB are those mirrors in disk space?

• @Rallias said: How many GB are those mirrors in disk space?

Currently:
    Debian 719G
    CentOS 131G
    Slackware 129G
    Kernel.org 167G

• @rds100 said: Currently:

Debian 719G
    CentOS 131G
    Slackware 129G
    Kernel.org 167G

And THIS is why I prefer running a caching proxy.