Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

getting NixStats false positives for Server Monitoring ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

getting NixStats false positives for Server Monitoring ?

mehargagsmehargags Member
edited September 2016 in Providers

I'm getting false positives from Nixstats since 3 days... for random providers, Ramnode NYC, Aruba-FR, VersaWeb-Vegas while all servers were running fine.

Have contacted Vincent for it...
or is it because of the problems reported all around US ?
digital-ocean-offline & vultr-down

Anyone else getting them ?

Comments

• Yeah, getting a lot of false positives lately. Doesn't matter much as I always cross check with newrelic but it might be time to uninstall nixstats as my own monitor system seems to be more reliable.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

There were some issues today, it's being worked on. For now everything seems ok again, if you have ping allowed on your server you should not get the false positives.

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

Also get them, but only today... Seems solved...

My biggest problem is that lately I am receiving server/domain DOWN notifications, but the UP notifications aren't coming through anymore...

Anybody else having this issue?

• It's a beta service which will have its issues

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

A few but also some from uptime robot so it's probably not just my monitoring. Plenty of things in the middle that could be to blame.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited September 2016

@gleert said:
    but the UP notifications aren't coming through anymore...

Yes... observed the same! No notification if server is detected to be UP @vfuse

@doughmanes said:
    It's a beta service which will have its issues

This thread is NOT purposed as a complaint but an "observation" of the service to make it better... which is the purpose of a beta

@jarland said:
    A few but also some from uptime robot so it's probably not just my monitoring. Plenty of things in the middle that could be to blame.

Yes, a few days back I noticed downtime alerts for 2 domains, Nixstats hinted DNS was not resolving and on further investigation the registrar's (reseller club) DNS were being DDos'd.

That's why I wanted to check if there is something erratic at Nixstats or my provider's.

@vfuse... It will really help if you can keep us posted... or put something on Nixstats panel itself

@mehargags said:

@gleert said:
    but the UP notifications aren't coming through anymore...

Yes... observed the same! No notification if server is detected to be UP @vfuse

@doughmanes said:
    It's a beta service which will have its issues

This thread is NOT purposed as a complaint but an "observation" of the service to make it better... which is the purpose of a beta

@jarland said:

Yes, a few days back I noticed downtime alerts for 2 domains, Nixstats hinted DNS was not resolving and on further investigation the registrar's (reseller club) DNS were being DDos'd.

That's why I wanted to check if there is something erratic at Nixstats or my provider's.

@vfuse... It will really help if you can keep us posted... or put something on Nixstats panel itself

Up notification were disabled for a while when I was implementing a queueing system for domain monitoring, should be working again.

I can't really find anything wrong on NIXStats side, it could be tho that it had something to do with Cloudflare which is in the middle of things.

I can also see a spike in the amount of domains down at the same time (which runs entirely separately from the server monitoring)

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

vfuse said: Up notification were disabled for a while when I was implementing a queueing system for domain monitoring, should be working again.

Great will check if it's working now... Need a domain to go down!

• @vfuse
    can you elaborate a bit where/what CloudFlare's role is for your services ?

@mehargags said:
    @vfuse
    @mehargags said:
    @vfuse
    @mehargags said:
    @vfuse

Using cloudflare for DNS as well as to accelerate part of nixstats API's.

We're currently testing the new python agent which is developed from scratch. Should support Windows, MacOS and BSD as well :)

Thanked by 2PrColo surihost
  • @vfuse
    I'm using your python agent on the last 3-4 servers I made... should I be updating it or will you "push" the update remotely ?

Cloudflare caching and "accelerate" is really nasty, especially to Asian routes. I was never happy with the caching mechanism thought DNS works flawless. Just a feedback!

@mehargags said:
    @vfuse
    I'm using your python agent on the last 3-4 servers I made... should I be updating it or will you "push" the update remotely ?

Cloudflare caching and "accelerate" is really nasty, especially to Asian routes. I was never happy with the caching mechanism thought DNS works flawless. Just a feedback!

NIXStats will never "push" anything to the servers, it's one way traffic from the server to nixstats for security reasons. So you'll have to update to the newest agent yourself.

I'll see if it possible to have some sort of fallback for cloudflare.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Could be related to the specific route the traffic is taking. Unless an uptime monitor corroborates an outage from multiple locations and different networks, it's fairly inevitable that you'll eventually receive false positives from any uptime monitoring service.

Thanked by 1mehargags