Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

300 gbit/s attack. Larges in the world, has effect to LINX (london INX); - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

300 gbit/s attack. Larges in the world, has effect to LINX (london INX);

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Fliphost said: Wonder what prices CF is pushing for their BW considering they use so much of it

I would bet under 1 $ if they did the negotiating part well.

• Wonder what prices CF is pushing for their BW considering they use so much of it

Me too.... Lowers I think they are in mixed numbers (US. EU, ASIA) is 75 US cents per Mbps... Reasonable to believe some locations are lower/subsidized down into what @Maouinique mentioned. Based on estimates perhaps 50 US cents... Not much lower seen in the wild... Unless they are highly dependent on one major upstream.

Haven't seen CF's actual consumption numbers though... So PURE speculation. By my SPECULATION they have POPs in US, Asia, and EU with probably 2-3x in each = 6 POPs plus perhaps 1 in Africa and 1 in South America.... Now US and EU probably have mass multiples... Think CF was up to 20 pops overall in 2012. Evenly distributed to absorb 300Gbps attack... over 20 locations... = 15-20Gbps per location + normal load = ??? 20-40Gbps per location.... Respectable.

CF leans on internet exchanges a lot (semi speculation)... but confirmed in part via their peering:

Traffic Levels Not Disclosed
    Traffic Ratios Mostly Outbound

http://www.peeringdb.com/view.php?asn=13335&peerParticipantsPrivatesOrder=Sorter_local_asn&peerParticipantsPrivatesDir=ASC

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: CF leans on internet exchanges a lot (semi speculation)

Since they have a lot of POPs then it is reasonable to assume that.

• Their POPs... well some of them I know of @Maounique seem positioned to be "at" internet exchanges...

Explains why LiNX got flooded in the attacks against Spamhaus. Very popular handoff exchange....

Would draw down their overall bandwidth costs a bunch and make their commits much smaller too.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler do remember most of their traffic is outbound instead of inbound. As a majority of their BW is used for their caching proxy

Also just checked, 23 locations: http://www.cloudflare.com/network-map

• 23 divided by the load... 10-20Gbps per... 20-40Gbps peaking per POP.... Probably some custom usage billing so they scale up and pay up.

2 10Gbps commits aren't so darn bad... per location...

But, I don't think CF is as large as folks think or their PR pumps them up to be... BW commits cost jingle...

Hard to say with CF's ghetto bottom pricing and free teasers.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler I tweeted the CEO on twitter a month or two back asking about their BW capacity worldwide, I asked if they had over 500gbps, and was answered with "yes" . As well as increasing on average around 20% per month.this was exactly 79 days ago.

So say they were at exactly 500gbps. That would be mean it would be about 720gbps worldwide as of now.

Just some food for thought

• krokro Member

300gbps nothing on multi tb/s pipes?

• ^ @Fliphost, nifty of you to ping the big cheese :)

At 500Gbps means currently adding 100Gbps per month...Maybe.... depends on financials...

Puts them at 20Gbps+ per location if even... which it isn't....

Then again CEOs are slick like that ;) Make me rich sucka!