Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM issue with upgrading from Ubuntu 14 to 16.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM issue with upgrading from Ubuntu 14 to 16.

A clean upgrade from 14 template to 16 always failed at the last stage (restart), the terminal throws in this error;

Failed to start reboot.target: Connection timed out See system logs and 'systemctl status reboot.target' for details.

However, both port 22 and 1022 are not responding (connection timed out) and ping shows request timed out. I inquire this on askubuntu.com but have yet to receive any response. Digging through older posts, I found an identical request for help with zero answer. Assuming mine will most likely end up the same, here I am seeking for advice (other than ask my host or use VNC). I just need to know what I must do first while on 14 template before I upgrade.

Comments

• what does journalctl and systemctl --failed say?

• Occurred a few times when doing the upgrade of several servers, with no incidence. Just reboot by hand (reconnect/sudo reboot, or via control panel) and all is good.

• @sin said:
    what does journalctl and systemctl --failed say?

Cannot access via ssh;
    Network error: Connection timed out

@Shot2 said:
    Occurred a few times when doing the upgrade of several servers, with no incidence. Just reboot by hand (reconnect/sudo reboot, or via control panel) and all is good.

Tried rebooting via SolusVM, still cannot access the server via SSH.

• OK, this is kinda dumb question but I just want to make sure.
    Does these commands works on kvm vps?

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

Will they affect other vms or the whole server or just my vps?

• Bump... same issue. There appears to be no solutions online. I followed this process and hit the same error as @spitz
    https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-upgrade-to-ubuntu-16-04-lts

• Thank you for sharing... its good to know its officially log... I added it to my backlog to do it tomorrow, but no longer need to. One less thing to do!

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I am using 16.04 LTS on KVM (SolusVM) without any issue. Same issue was occurred but I fixed it. Its so simple problem.

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    I am using 16.04 LTS on KVM (SolusVM) without any issue. Same issue was occurred but I fixed it. Its so simple problem.

How to fix it?

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • @spitz said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

How to fix it?

Sudo apt-get install autoboot
    Sudo autoboot on
    Sudo install Ubuntu 16

Simple :p

• @WHT said:

@spitz said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

How to fix it?

Sudo autoboot on
    Sudo install Ubuntu 16

@WHT you forgot a last and most important step:

Sudo autoboot on
    Sudo install Ubuntu 16
    rm -rf /

• @zafouhar said:

@WHT said:

@spitz said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

How to fix it?

Sudo autoboot on
    Sudo install Ubuntu 16

Sudo autoboot on
    Sudo install Ubuntu 16
    rm -rf /

Wouldn't the last step delete everything from the server? Sorry.. nub question.

• In Ubuntu 16.04 in a KVM the eth0 interface is renamed ens3 during boot unless some special grub parameters are applied. This usually breaks networking when release-upgrading from 14.04.

• @pechspilz said:
    In Ubuntu 16.04 in a KVM the eth0 interface is renamed ens3 during boot unless some special grub parameters are applied. This usually breaks networking when release-upgrading from 14.04.

Recommended fix?

• Rename eth0 to ens3 in the interface definition file or add biosdevname and net.ifnames parameters to grub.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't understand why ubuntu supports full distribution upgrades. There's no guaranteed clean way to do it on production boxes. Some things dramatically change and you have to be really careful to make sure they won't impact your custom configs.

IMO full version upgrades of a distro are more reliably handled by migration. At the very least, from a duplicated instance.

• @pechspilz said:
    Rename eth0 to ens3 in the interface definition file or add biosdevname and net.ifnames parameters to grub.

How to do it from the terminal?

• @spitz said:

@pechspilz said:
    Rename eth0 to ens3 in the interface definition file or add biosdevname and net.ifnames parameters to grub.

How to do it from the terminal?

Find a corner and cry, fixes everything.

• @cheapwebdev said:
    Find a corner and cry, fixes everything.

I read you called yourself a nub on another thread. For a nub, that's quite a pretentious reply you just made. If you don't feel like helping, then it's better to just not post. It's also help a bit for you to look at the mirror one of these days.

• oooh would you look at that, you can read... smh have fun by yourself in this thread

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@cheapwebdev said:
    oooh would you look at that, you can read... smh have fun by yourself in this thread

I overlook the "Don't be a dick" rule for a lot of cases. Sometimes you just have to come across as confrontational to get to a point. I'm having a hard time overlooking this one. Chill out.

• Fair enough. @spitz, my apologies ;)

• Ask your host to mount the Ubuntu 16 ISO file for you. This has solved my issue with some hosts.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Sudo autoboot on
    Sudo install Ubuntu 16
    rm -rf /

jealous.. hm...