Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Run Java in a VPS - How and experience?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Run Java in a VPS - How and experience?

DragonDFDragonDF Member
edited December 2011 in General

Hello guys!

I'd like to offer service for Java people (.jsp pages, etc.).

I think it will be only to install Tom Cat in the VPS in Linux.
But, I have not good experience running Tom Cat in Linux.

When I needed I installed Tom Cat in Windows.

What about security?

Thank you!

Comments

• Don't Use openvz

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

OpenVZ is fine if the host is running a 2.6.32 kernel or you pass RAM limits to java :)

Francisco

• @karl said: Don't Use openvz

Hehe, period... Or get a VPS with LOTS of RAM.

@DragonDF said: What about security?

Probably this isn't the proper site to talk about that.

• I have a VPS (1Gb ram) running OpenVZ. Is it enough?

I "like" OpenVZ like a CLIENT who will pay LESS for it.
    But, if I need to install a Windows Iso, OpenVZ does not allow (Xen and KVM allow).

__
    Security: I thought this was a Server Forum, but maybe it is more an Offer forum.
    :)

I will try to install Tom Cat today in CentOS!

• @DragonDF said: Security: I thought this was a Server Forum, but maybe it is more an Offer forum.

:)

Yes is a server forum, but I think security is a BIG chapter.
    Here we discuss about minimal setups and so, and embedded with that is some discussion about security, i.e. the setups described here are 'secure', but if you decide to leave your ssh open to root, having weak passwords, using FTP instead SFTP, avoid SSL, that is your choose.
    But if you are talking about security and Java, I don't know, probably all is reduced to web security (XSS mainly I think, even SQL injection sounds hard to do).

• ghostghost Member
    edited December 2011

you can download and install jdk.rpm 1.6.30 from oracle web,
    then you can download tomcat or jetty from apache or jetty web,
    just upzip or tar -x tomcat or jetty, move the dir to the target you want put it.
    config the necessary file for java mem_arg and java path.

It's not very hard. :)

• Don't use openjre, use the offical one from Oracle. That will probably mean that u have to add extra repos/download it manually, but from my experience it works much better than openjre.

• @yomero
    I understood you! :)
    But I think here we have a few member with good knowledge in Servers and they may know about Java servers, too.

@ghost and @gsrdgrdghd
    I will download from Oracle. I think it will be safe.
    I prefer to use TomCat.

Do you know any good tutorial?
    I'll take a look in Oracle/Java site. If I find something I will post here.

Tks!

• @DragonDF said: Security: I thought this was a Server Forum, but maybe it is more an Offer forum

Again, it's known that these forums as well as the main site are watched by hackers and black hat folks.

• @drmike said: Again, it's known that these forums as well as the main site are watched by hackers and black hat folks.

Some white hat folks as well.

• @drmike said: Again, it's known that these forums as well as the main site are watched by hackers and black hat folks.

@AuroraZ said: Some white hat folks as well.

So I hope they can show how to protect a server for block their friends to work. :)

• Now this is pure speculation, meaning I do not know for sure but it is a guess you could say.

Some will some won't. Some will route the request through the provider some will contact the vps renter and make suggestions. All depends on the character of the person and what he sees I would guess.

Remember this is not set in stone and I know virtually nothing about nothing or about anything.

• @AuroraZ said: Some white hat folks as well.

Yes, but they're not the ones causing problems when they notice a provider with a hole.

• @drmike said: Yes, but they're not the ones causing problems when they notice a provider with a hole.

True nor would they.

• Of course there are while hat people who are secretly black hat. :)

I'll admit that I pay attention to both sides of the coin. Both to protect my clients as well as just pay attention to what;s going on.

• Java is "ment" to run better in OpenVZ RHEL-6,

otherwise, I found running on previous OpenVZ versions that Java would just eat all the ram (even with a limit) till none is available and the OS halts