Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CableChief -> HTTP Zoom handoff fail. Unannounced ip change.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CableChief -> HTTP Zoom handoff fail. Unannounced ip change.

A few weeks ago, I received an email from CableChief (solid network in Utah, USA) saying, in essence, they were selling their business to HTTP Zoom (a provider I've had poor experiences with in the past).

That was a discouraging email to receive but I held out hope that HTTP Zoom could maintain the good network and services I had there with CableChief. Sadly I was disappointed today when my server went offline and an hour later I received an email that an unannounced migration and IP change was complete.

Another reminder to stay away from HTTP Zoom.

Comments

• How long did CableChief exist for? Wasn't long IIRC.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I wasn't even aware they sold their business.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • Nekki said: How long did CableChief exist for? Wasn't long IIRC.

Yep, only had a service for 3 months before they sold themselves :(

Awmusic12635 said: I wasn't even aware they sold their business.

I found out when I got an invoice from HTTPZoom.

• From https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/86973/why-ride-a-stallion-when-we-ve-got-hot-mormons-yes-baby-we-re-back:

CableChief said: One quick note, this will be my final offer thread. Thank you for being a wonderful audience. The show must go on without me. - John

Looks like we figured out what this means now. Nice of them to drum up some additional sales before selling/donating the company.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Very sad, they were a decent provider. I wonder why they sold to HTTP Zoom?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The guy posting the offers was the only thing that put them on my radar. He communicated a unique attitude and that goes a long way. Just another brand in the bucket without that.

Thanked by 2zafouhar netomx
  • Damian said: Looks like we figured out what this means now. Nice of them to drum up some additional sales before selling/donating the company.

That's what me and Dan Fry did before VPS6 was flipped

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@doughmanes said:

Damian said: Looks like we figured out what this means now. Nice of them to drum up some additional sales before selling/donating the company.

That's what me and Dan Fry did before VPS6 was flipped

Nostalgia

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • I worked for Santrex too lol

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

doughmanes said: Dan Fry

Thats a blast from the past, someone will be talking about Constantinos Coudounaris from hostrail next.

Thanked by 3doughmanes netomx lbft
  • AnthonySmith said: Thats a blast from the past, someone will be talking about Constantinos Coudounaris from hostrail next.

Good (terrible) times.

• doughmanes said: I worked for Santrex too lol

You don't miss a chance, eh? ;)

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Amitz said: You don't miss a chance, eh? ;)

I didn't see any issues but at Santrex, the "IP change request" queue makes sense now

• How can anybody say that a host that only is three months old is a good host? It's another thing if you use a old host for three months.

Thanked by 3doughmanes Nekki netomx
  • myhken said: How can anybody say that a host that only is three months old is a good host? It's another thing if you use a old host for three months.

Cos in our minds, cost > reliable.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • myhken said: How can anybody say that a host that only is three months old is a good host? It's another thing if you use a old host for three months.

I don't think anyone ever said they were a good host. I've been using them for 5 months and their network reliability and routing has been great for our use. 100% uptime in Aug. That's saying a lot more than most of the hosts that I've tested, including HTTP Zoom.

What I did say was HTTP Zoom is poorly handling the services hand-off by forcing unannounced IP changes. That, in my humble opinion, is a mark of a bad host.

• laticlatic Member, Host Rep

@nodeping, how long have ya felt like that about HTTPZoom? It used to be pretty highly rated here.

• latic said: how long have ya felt like that about HTTPZoom?

My opinion was formed back when I had services with them from April to about June 2015.

• Shirley this is the wrong way around. Just got this (as a customer of HTTPZoom)

Your instance has now been successfully migrated to the new host. Your IP is now : 144.172.89.***. Please note that you now control your instance from https://svm.cablechief.com.

Though, it appears the IP isn't reachable.

• @ricardo said:
    Shirley this is the wrong way around. Just got this (as a customer of HTTPZoom)

Your instance has now been successfully migrated to the new host. Your IP is now : 144.172.89.***. Please note that you now control your instance from https://svm.cablechief.com.

Though, it appears the IP isn't reachable.

Still using gorilla servers, but with buyvm rented IP space (i guess) rather than gorilla server IP's. It looks like a cost saving measure, but I'm sure they could have kept the old IP's online for a bit longer...