Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Monitoring] Discus monitoring solutions / Best practices
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Monitoring] Discus monitoring solutions / Best practices

fLoofLoo Member
edited September 2016 in Help

Hey girls (and guys),

i've had used PRTG (500) up to now but my sponsored license became invalid now (3 years). Although i really liked it, i dont feel like spending $1600 per year for it.

Here are the ones i've used before:

• PRTG
  • Nagios Core
  • Icinga

I'm looking for some fresh additions, i'm at the point where i need to setup everything from scratch so its time to find an alternative which is decent (it can cost something if its worth it).

Got ~ 100 dedicated servers around the globe. IMHO all the ones i've used except PRTG had an ugly interface, were buggy and not worth the time spent to install them.

Regards :)

Comments

• What exactly are you looking to monitor, and what sort of budget do you have?

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited September 2016

@Nekki said:
    What exactly are you looking to monitor, and what sort of budget do you have?

Default Services. SSH, PING, Remote Ping, HTTP(S), SMTP(S), LOAD, Traffic, SNMP-Traps. Budget may be ~ 500$ yearly. And the main criteria: Self hosted, no cloud-based-BS.

• @fLoo said:
    And the main criteria: Self hosted, no cloud-based-BS.

Ok, bang goes my suggestion then.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • @fLoo said:
    Got ~ 100 dedicated servers around the globe.

who are you?

kidding aside for/some the items you mentioned ansible helps if you can script.

• @ehab said:

@fLoo said:
    Got ~ 100 dedicated servers around the globe.

who are you

Hi, its me, im fLoo :)

kidding aside for/some the items you mentioned ansible helps if you can script.

Ansible is not what im looking for (atleast not for that purpose).

Thanked by 1ehab
  • ktkt Member, Host Rep

http://www.librenms.org works quite well.

• Observium has a few app monitoring built in, but nothing like PRTG.

http://www.observium.org/docs/apps/

• check_mk

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Shinken is pretty decent, a big improvement from Nagios Core. If you still have your Nagios configs you can re-use them with Shinken.

• BrianHarrison said: Shinken is pretty decent, a big improvement from Nagios Core.

OVH offers Shinken as a service via runabove.com for free... may be a good option to at least have a look at it ;-)

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Thanks for the other Products, still, i've checked them out one-by-one now and nothing could convince me to use it. I seriously hate ugly dashboards, ugly graphics and bad theming. Seriously, either i go for command-line bread-n-butter or i want the dinosaur with a decent theming (like PRTG has).

All products based on nagios do not satisfy me at all. Terrible configuration, to much hassle, too much fricle, these should stay in the 90s. Same problem as before PRTG .. there is simply nothing which fits (atleast for me) and satisfies me at all.

Crap :<

• JacobJacob Member
    edited September 2016

PRTG is the best sadly, there's no choice but to pay :'( or use the hosted crap.

• LiberNMS or Munin

• @fLoo said:
    All products based on nagios do not satisfy me at all. Terrible configuration, to much hassle, too much fricle, these should stay in the 90s. Same problem as before PRTG .. there is simply nothing which fits (atleast for me) and satisfies me at all.

We use check_mk Multisite, it does this pretty well. Configuration is pretty easy and if the discovered checks aren't enough, you can add custom nagios checks.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Zabbix, nice interface, easy to install, default templates are quite good, adding new ones is easy.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

One I use is LibrenNMS. It's a fork of Observium with a few extra features or fixes. If you need SNMP that is.