Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having a hard time with Lantronix
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Having a hard time with Lantronix

justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

The new DC that we are working with offered KVM to install and configure our nodes, it happens that they use the Lantronix Spider Duo, we are used to working with ILOs and others, and never experienced so unstable device/software, what should take minutes to do it take hours, the problems happens like this:

1)You use a browser to login and start the KVM

2)the KVM uses Java as an interface, after changing the java security you are able to connect

3)after 30 seconds of connection the java screen freezes and says at the bottom " Can't write key code Javanet socket exception socket closed".

4) then you have to close the java go back to the browser to start again

5)when you click to start the KVM the browser redirect to login page so you need to login again and this repeats several times.

6)now If you need to login to your OS when you type your credentials goes like that:

rrrrooottt,

so you press on the keyboard once and it repeats the character several times,

This you can correct when you can see but you will need to type you the password to login and that you can not see and correct, so big amount of time is spent in login process, after login, the issue remains and the character has to be corrected again and again.

What I don't know if it is my fault on configuring the Java, the java interface or the Lantronix itself, I'd like to know if somebody else has any experience with this issue.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

Doesn't it have on screen keyboard? Would be easier to use that probably. I've rarely used Lantronix but they don't compare to things like build in KVM. I've had problems with them before, being a user not owning them, but not the key press issue you're having, just resolution and connection problems (i.e. screen looks like it's from 1990 on dial-up with lines going through it)

Thanked by 1justvm
  • justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

@MikeA said:
    Doesn't it have on screen keyboard? Would be easier to use that probably. I've rarely used Lantronix but they don't compare to things like build in KVM. I've had problems with them before, being a user not owning them, but not the key press issue you're having, just resolution and connection problems (i.e. screen looks like it's from 1990 on dial-up with lines going through it)

Thanks for the input, anyway that I use, the local keyboard or the virtual(screen keyboard), the issue still remains

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

Pretty sure these are java problems. I have seen the same issues with Dell DRAC and SuperMicro IPMI interfaces. Did you try the java dance? Stand on one leg and spin around with 1 arm on your head with a flat palm on top of your head and the other making a fluid type of waving motion.

@Oliver said:
    Pretty sure these are java problems. I have seen the same issues with Dell DRAC and SuperMicro IPMI interfaces. Did you try the java dance? Stand on one leg and spin around with 1 arm on your head with a flat palm on top of your head and the other making a fluid type of waving motion.

Good one, maybe I'd try next.

The one thing that I can see is that I had to change the Java configuration to make the ILO works but this is only related to security.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Oliver said:

Confirmed to work, Minecraft now opens. Debian Thx.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I recall having this issue with Dacentec and Datashack (you know, back when they did KVMs and not the "preconfigured" junk they do now)

• We use Lantronix spiders - never had such issues with disconnecting. Could you be running through some sort of a proxy or firewall that is causing the disconnects?

• Oh also I know it sounds stupid but have you tried multiple browsers?

Thanked by 1justvm
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Spiders do not like high latency. There is a setting in there that can help with the rrrrrooooottttt problem.

Under Interfaces -> Keyboard/Mouse, you can enable "Key Release Timeout" and change the "Timeout after" field to see if any of those help.

@rds100 said:
    We use Lantronix spiders - never had such issues with disconnecting. Could you be running through some sort of a proxy or firewall that is causing the disconnects?

>

Usually, I connect with VPN but tried to connect direct and still having the same issue.

@doughmanes said:
    Oh also I know it sounds stupid but have you tried multiple browsers?

Unfortunately, java only can run in 2 browsers Firefox and explorer, will not work on Edge, chrome, opera. Both were tried and the same result

edited September 2016

@qps said:
    Spiders do not like high latency. There is a setting in there that can help with the rrrrrooooottttt problem.

Under Interfaces -> Keyboard/Mouse, you can enable "Key Release Timeout" and change the "Timeout after" field to see if any of those help.

Thank you, I agree with you about the latency and the "key release timeout was enabled and timeout was set to 200 msec it is the maximum" with this settings still have the issues

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I've found the Spiders to be horrific with latency. I've had corrupted OS installs thanks to the latency. Especially at Dacentec where it's over 120ms away.

Could you ask the DC to lend you a hand getting things setup?

Thanked by 1justvm

@hawc said:
    I've found the Spiders to be horrific with latency. I've had corrupted OS installs thanks to the latency. Especially at Dacentec where it's over 120ms away.

Could you ask the DC to lend you a hand getting things setup?

Until now I did not have any problem with the installation or configuration in terms of corrupted files, what is annoying me is the fact that a job that would take no more than 30 minutes end up in 3 or more hours of work.

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited September 2016

just spin an VULTR box with windows near the DC's location use RDP from that box for your use. It will solve the current issue and you can mount an ISO from the VULTR box for Virtual media with great ease if you wan to install an custom OS

Thanked by 2justvm vimalware

@simonindia said:
    just spin an VULTR box with windows near the DC's location use RDP from that box for your use. It will solve the current issue and you can mount an ISO from the VULTR box for Virtual media with great ease if you wan to install an custom OS

Thanks for the advice as I have other nodes already installed and in production I can install windows on a VM and try to see if it works as the latency would be almost zero

I was believing that it was latency, but just finish to test with a windows box on another node as suggestede by @simonindia and got the same problem and this time java froze with instruction"RFB: Terminated java.io. EOF Exception"

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @vpsrus said:
    I was believing that it was latency, but just finish to test with a windows box on another node as suggestede by @simonindia and got the same problem and this time java froze with instruction"RFB: Terminated java.io. EOF Exception"

Just downgrade the Java in your Windows box in my exp i had some success when working with linux Iceweasel browser with Java you may never know when the luck will strike keep trying

Thanked by 1justvm
  • @vpsrus can you give the lantronix KVM firmware version no

@simonindia said:
    @vpsrus can you give the lantronix KVM firmware version no

Frimware version 3.00

• Java . . . write once, run nowhere.

Thanked by 3Basil netomx hostdare
  • winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

@vpsrus i believe it was latency problem. We did experienced the same. Please try to find best possible closest connection the the Lantronix. @hawc is correct. setting from @qps might be help (but i'm not sure per our experiences. it did help with keyboard but other problems arose such as sudden disconnection like you experienced)
    VPN doesn't lessen your latency, MHO.

Thanked by 1justvm

@winnervps said:
    @vpsrus i believe it was latency problem. We did experienced the same. Please try to find best possible closest connection the the Lantronix. @hawc is correct. setting from @qps might be help (but i'm not sure per our experiences. it did help with keyboard but other problems arose such as sudden disconnection like you experienced)
    VPN doesn't lessen your latency, MHO.

Thank you for your inpput, I have other nodes on the same DC and I installed windows and RDP, so all commands were local inside the DC and still got the same problem, I thought that was latency too but I believe that Java is the whole issue, I did not downgrade the Java yet to test, it will be my next move but I did setup the security to LTS 1.0 and the issue still remains, lets see if downgrade makes difference

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

@vpsrus said:

Thank you for your inpput, I have other nodes on the same DC and I installed windows and RDP, so all commands were local inside the DC and still got the same problem, I thought that was latency too but I believe that Java is the whole issue, I did not downgrade the Java yet to test, it will be my next move but I did setup the security to LTS 1.0 and the issue still remains, lets see if downgrade makes difference

If you have more than one Lantronix, could you please try another one. It might be a defect on the device? I experienced one of my Lantronix device did show a 'red' color more than any other colors, after confirmation from the manufacture, they said it was a defect (but warranty already expired -chipset defect)

Thanked by 1justvm

The Lantronix belongs to the DC and we have tried others with the same result

• I had a similar problem on iDRAC6. After typing a long command, hitting the backspace key once would clear the whole command :'(

Thanked by 1justvm

that's very true and it happens to me as well

• StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@vpsrus said:
    The new DC that we are working with offered KVM to install and configure our nodes, it happens that they use the Lantronix Spider Duo, we are used to working with ILOs and others, and never experienced so unstable device/software, what should take minutes to do it take hours, the problems happens like this:

1)You use a browser to login and start the KVM

2)the KVM uses Java as an interface, after changing the java security you are able to connect

3)after 30 seconds of connection the java screen freezes and says at the bottom " Can't write key code Javanet socket exception socket closed".

4) then you have to close the java go back to the browser to start again

5)when you click to start the KVM the browser redirect to login page so you need to login again and this repeats several times.

6)now If you need to login to your OS when you type your credentials goes like that:

rrrrooottt,

so you press on the keyboard once and it repeats the character several times,

This you can correct when you can see but you will need to type you the password to login and that you can not see and correct, so big amount of time is spent in login process, after login, the issue remains and the character has to be corrected again and again.

What I don't know if it is my fault on configuring the Java, the java interface or the Lantronix itself, I'd like to know if somebody else has any experience with this issue.

Make sure that the firmware running on the Spider Lantronix is up to date. We have a few Lantronix Spiders and we haven't experienced the types of problems you're experiencing. Using different versions of Java on the client end might make a difference too.

Thanked by 1justvm
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

The biggest issue I had with some of them is that if the server is outputting more than 1024x768 resolution it'll make the unit instantly crash and reboot. It's possible they fixed it in the Duo units but wasn't in the single connector models.

Francisco

Thanked by 1justvm

Thank you, I have tried before and have the same issue