Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paypal/WHMCS Payment Advice Needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Paypal/WHMCS Payment Advice Needed

I am looking for advice regarding no longer being able to accept Paypal payments on a hosting website.

How would one convert the majority of customers who use Paypal to use another gateway?
How would one smoothly refund any (if necessary) customers who can ONLY use Paypal?

Thank you.

Also some extra information: I had CoinPayments and manual bitcoin payments enabled. Coinpayments API seems to have broken currently but I'm also looking for more gateways to expand into the bitcoin market. Please let me know if you know of any good free ones.

Comments

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

There's no easy way to convert PayPal subscribers to other forms of payment. If you have to drop PayPal, then you're going to take a significant hit.

The easiest solution for most would be to convert them to a credit card payment. Have you setup a merchant account elsewhere? Incentivize customers who are reluctant to switch with a free month of service for re-establishing their subscription.

• CeeHosting said: How would one convert the majority of customers who use Paypal to use another gateway? How would one smoothly refund any (if necessary) customers who can ONLY use Paypal?

Something that can process Paypal and credit card. Maybe calculate the amount of refunds needed and use a Paypal Cash card to load up a personal account then send those funds out to those who need it.

• I have see few providers using 2checkouts for their paypal payments

• @robohost Thank you. I have sent off an application.

Essentially that is what I'm looking for @doughmanes. I'd like to keep my Paypal customers, just not use Paypal directly.

@BrianHarrison I am currently applying and looking for alternatives. I've signed up for Stripe, BitPay and now 2Checkouts.

• Why you don't want to use paypal?

• @Jorbox I would like to use Paypal but I unfortunately cannot. Even if I could I would like to expand out to other payment gateways.

• 180 day dispute on virtual goods, not allowed in some countries... list goes on and on

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

2CO is good and accepts all major credit/debit cards and Paypal.

• Use 2checkout. They can help you accept PayPal payments.

We are using them and it's all okay.

• @CeeHosting
    But everyone use paypal now, especially programmers.
    You need to find a solution for paypal

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

2CO does not work with hosting (cloud?) companies. Sooner or later they will close your account on this basis, even if you have zero charge backs, etc. Not recommended.

• @Clouvider said:
    2CO does not work with hosting (cloud?) companies. Sooner or later they will close your account on this basis, even if you have zero charge backs, etc. Not recommended.

Did they tell you that? because my information says otherwise.

@Clouvider said:

This is not true at all. Why would they even accept a hosting company after a thorough review just to close it later for being a hosting company?

edited September 2016

@zafouhar said:

@Clouvider said:

Did they tell you that? because my information says otherwise.

Yes. Our account was among many accounts they recently closed. There was a thread about this on WHT and there was one on LET: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/60457/2checkout-stops-serving-hosting-providers

@mailcheap said:

@Clouvider said:

This is not true at all. Why would they even accept a hosting company after a thorough review just to close it later for being a hosting company?

Excellent question, one they cannot even answer themselves :-).

@Clouvider said:

@mailcheap said:

@Clouvider said:

Excellent question, one they cannot even answer themselves :-).

Maybe the hourly pricing doesn't match their ToS? Anyway if you have $7k/mo. or more revenue consider going with G2S. Very good and friendly staff.

@mailcheap they consider a web hosting/VPS/dedicated to be 'cyberlocker' as you can keep data there. I know, severely twisted interpretation, but that's their company line and it was escalated as high as it could be with no change in outcome.

Good luck if you're looking for an unreliable payment gateway ;-).

@Clouvider said:
    @mailcheap they consider a web hosting/VPS/dedicated to be 'cyberlocker' as you can keep data there. I know, severely twisted interpretation, but that's their company line and it was escalated as high as it could be with no change in outcome.

Good luck if you're looking for an unreliable payment gateway ;-).

Mm.. I'm sorry this happened to you. Consider Gate2Shop; they have some good people there and im sure you'll be treated better :)
    Pavin Joseph.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • doughmanes said: 180 day dispute on virtual goods, not allowed in some countries... list goes on and on

Back in the day I won a fair few chargebacks through the "non-tangible goods" arugment where the buyer protection wasn't really enforced. I guess this has changed,

• @eastonch said:

doughmanes said: 180 day dispute on virtual goods, not allowed in some countries... list goes on and on

Back in the day I won a fair few chargebacks through the "non-tangible goods" arugment where the buyer protection wasn't really enforced. I guess this has changed,

The thing with PayPal and also eBay as well before the companies split and still to this day is that they often go back on their own Terms of Service. In my experience with both companies I have been in the right with evidence on a few occasions and still lost out.

• I would try to use 2checkouts as it would be the best of both worlds. Since it goes to their paypal and customers can use credit cards also :)

• @Clouvider said:

Maybe they cannot even give answer on their side. We got approved just in July (after our PayPal got frozen for no reason, not unlocked even after docs submitted - we want to use 2CO as a PP solution).

Asked them in email at that time and they said they don't refuse hosting companies...

• Tried 2CheckOut, they want access to the WHMCS admin panel and a client account.. NOPE.

• Using 2CheckOut from 1 Year never had an issue, Had only 2 Disputes during year they never closed my account, Also they have no issue with me that I do VPS Servers.

• 2CheckOut, Skrill, Stripe payment methods are and have always been the best replacements for PayPal but in this situation it depends on the customer and his willingness to move to another online payment processor to keep the services you're offering him.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited September 2016

I would be cautious with 2CO, I made the mistake of 2CO accounting for more than 60% of my previous businesses transactions.. it wasn't fun once they closed the account out of the blue, we had been approved and sent thru company documents, additional verification steps due to exceeding the account limits a few times.

Many thanks,

Jacob.

• Thanks for all the replies. It seems the odds were with me and my Paypal situation is all cleared.