Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An hour after the start of a DoS...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

An hour after the start of a DoS...

eastoncheastonch Member
edited March 2013 in General

We received this e-mail to my personal e-mail address, during a DoS attack which started backup promptly after replying to this e-mail.

Christopher,

I wanted to  reach out on behalf of Verisign DDOS protection division. Our platform utilizes the .com and .net infrastructure as its backbone to combat DDOS. If there is an interest, please reach out for a call.

Joe Rosado
Network Intelligence & Availability
[email protected]

p 415-486-6822 f 415-644-0954
Berry street, San Francisco, CA 94107

www.verisigninc.com

I was told by several people some companies run around, DoS the node then offer there services so some people are 'compelled' to buy them.

Anybody had this recently?

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Seems a bit obvious to jump in so quickly with an email. But hey, some people roll that way.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited March 2013

Perhaps they can help CloudFlare with the 300GBPS flood?

• NO kidding?

Someone, ahem, has alleged in the past that a certain popular colo provider all the providers here seem to love employs said business model... or has in the past... Nevermind...

Verisign doing it? Well they are part of Symantec... We are a virus company....

"The DDoS Mitigation Service, with a starting price of $35,000 a year, is available immediately to companies, VeriSign said. If the attack takes up more than 1G bps of bandwidth, companies will incur additional charges."

A. Their pricing is screwy.
    B. Their limit for an attack is laughably low.
    C. Their timing with you sucks.

Do what I do? Reply again... Tease them. Then compare attack info, times, etc. Log it all.

Then run it by sales :)

• I don't know a protection company that doesn't do this, to be honest.

• IshaqIshaq Member

Strange for sure.

• They crawl twitter feeds for keywords.

• ^ @superpilesos said it.

Protection rackets always operate on needing a victim. Easiest to create them on demand.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler said: Verisign doing it? Well they are part of Symantec... We are a virus company....

Verisign Inc is not part of Symantec.

• It's funny, the e-mail has a different number than what I could find on the internet for them.

It's great timing, huh?
    @William you could be correct, we updated our twitter feed AFTER this e-mail though, it could however of been a post somewhere on the interwebs like WHT, not too sure how they managed to find my christopher@ email though, seems like I would of posted it, twitter only has the main system/sales/ blergh @' addresses.

• An hour after the start of a DoS...

ambulance chasers exist in all industries :)

not too sure how they managed to find my christopher@ email though

Verisign is the company that controls .com/.net/.name/.tv domains. They know everything. :)

• @DomainBop yes they do, its sad but ambulance chasers are out there and on the hunt...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: A. Their pricing is screwy.

B. Their limit for an attack is laughably low.

OMG, I thought that is a joke... At that price i buy 20 gbps for a year and tank it at 20 times the limit they put.

• The price is normal. They charge 7000 for an SSL certificate.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I doubt verisign have DDoSed your services, might be some coincidence. I've recentely spoken to a director fo theirs, last week at WHD. They are a quite rich company.

• twaintwain Member

It's likely they just sent this out to every email they have because of the supposed Spamhaus ddos that's going on...

• emgemg Veteran

Assuming that you got the email today, there is a lot of mainstream news concerning the DDoS attack on Spamhous. It is having a measurable impact across the Internet, especially in Europe.

No doubt DDoS mitigation companies are taking advantage of this well-publicized attack to market their services - the email may not be related to your specific attack.

• @qps,

Verisign isn't part of Symantec?

Color me confused... Verisign.com has Symantec plastered all over it...

and...

VeriSign Security Acquisition
    On May 19, 2010, Symantec signed a definitive agreement to acquire VeriSign’s security business, which includes the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Certificate Services, the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) Services, the VeriSign Trust Services and the VeriSign Identity Protection (VIP) Authentication Service. The acquisition closed on August 9, 2010.

• @pubcrawler said: If the attack takes up more than 1G bps of bandwidth...

sorry if i missunderstand, but what about if the node has 1Gbps connection, is also affected?

• 1Gbps is that base expensive as can be service protection.. Above that you incur additional costs @dedicados

• For low cost ddos protection that still provides good quality, skip all the American companies who want $10000 for 1G of protection and go straight to Ukraine. My old site was under constant multi-gbit/s ddos attacks and $150/mnth at stop-ddos.net solved it.

• Glad to see another provider recommendation @superpilesos. Aren't many offers in reasonable range.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Yeah, Verisign aren't running around DoS'ing anyone, least of all small VPS providers. They have huge corporate clients who pay their daft prices willingly, so they don't need to shake anyone down.

• They probably use a twitter management tool as someone else has mentioned. You can actually get keyword allerts and that kind of thing for free so a massive company like that probably has custom software.

• Massive company mines the twitterverse but never would stoop to targeting customers otherwise... ho hum... not... saying... they... do... but... other... have ... and ... will.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: Verisign isn't part of Symantec?

Color me confused... Verisign.com has Symantec plastered all over it...

and...

VeriSign Security Acquisition

On May 19, 2010, Symantec signed a definitive agreement to acquire VeriSign’s security business, which includes the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Certificate Services, the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) Services, the VeriSign Trust Services and the VeriSign Identity Protection (VIP) Authentication Service. The acquisition closed on August 9, 2010.

Symantec bought their security business, but not the rest. Verisign, Inc's primary business is running .com/.net/etc.

www.verisigninc.com is the actual website.

• marcmmarcm Member

Like every oxygen sucking Fortune 500 company, VeriSign is badly addicted to money.

• Oh doh! Thanks @qps.

Any time a company unloads like that something is afoul.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@marcm Well considering they are a company... isn't that their goal?

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited March 2013

Same thing happened to me. Any time the keyword DDoS is used on Twitter, you may get a bunch of people sending you e-mails. They look for specific key words. I also got one from them too a while back and recently one from Level3.

https://twitter.com/SwiftVM

"Currently experiencing an incoming DDoS attack causing some minor downtime, we apologize. Accounts will be credited if you email billing."