Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need cheap storage VPS in EU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need cheap storage VPS in EU

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a cheap storage VPS in the EU, with specs like so:

• 512MB+ RAM

• 1+ CPU Cores, Shared

• 250GB+ Disk, but willing to be flexible, as US is usually cheaper than EU

• 1TB+ bandwidth

• 1x IPv4, 2+ IPv6

• OpenVZ or KVM preferred, but will take any other virtualization

• rDNS in SVM/Virtualizor or on request would be nice, but not required

• Located somewhere in EU, but preferably not France/NL (but will take if other specs are outstanding)

• 10Gbps+ DDoS protection is nice, but not required

• Under $2.50/month, $3 is hard limit

Thanks!

Comments

• Look through EVERY thread so far posted here about wanting a storage vps. Youll see that @time4vps is the cheapest provider per gigabyte.

No ipv6 though.

Thanked by 2time4vps Unixfy
  • teamacc said: Look through EVERY thread so far posted here about wanting a storage vps. Youll see that @time4vps is the cheapest provider per gigabyte.

Yearly only though :(

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@karatekidmonkey said:

teamacc said: Look through EVERY thread so far posted here about wanting a storage vps. Youll see that @time4vps is the cheapest provider per gigabyte.

What payment method can you use? BTC possible? $3 via Paypal or Credit card and more than 10% will be eaten in fees.

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

@randvegeta said:
    What payment method can you use? BTC possible? $3 via Paypal or Credit card and more than 10% will be eaten in fees.

We accept payments via Bitcoins, PayPal, Credit Cards and Paysera / WebMoney / CashU.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited September 2016

That's not much dough for what you're requesting.. good luck!

Thanked by 2Unixfy doughmanes
  • bersybersy Member
    edited September 2016

If quarterly payments and 256MB RAM are OK, LiteServer's $7/qr OVZ-STOR-256 might be an option to look at.

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • @randvegeta said:

@karatekidmonkey said:

teamacc said: Look through EVERY thread so far posted here about wanting a storage vps. Youll see that @time4vps is the cheapest provider per gigabyte.

Yep, I've got bitcoin.

@Jacob said:
    That's not much dough for what you're requesting.. good luck!

I know, but my budget is extremely strict atm :(

@bersy said:
    If quarterly payments and 256MB RAM are OK, LiteServer's $7/qr OVZ-STOR-256 might be an option to look at.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Good lord that's a lot of disk space for under $2.50 per month! DDoS protection for a storage server?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • BrianHarrison said: Good lord that's a lot of disk space for under $2.50 per month! DDoS protection for a storage server?

$3 is my hard limit, I would just prefer under $2.50

@karatekidmonkey said:

BrianHarrison said: Good lord that's a lot of disk space for under $2.50 per month! DDoS protection for a storage server?

$3 is my hard limit, I would just prefer under $2.50

We have some VPS Nodes in Lithuania with some available disk space. No RDNS, No DDoS Protection, and no backups but we can give you the 250GB HDD for $3 /month if paying by BitCoin.

XEN Virtualization - not OpenVZ.

Thanked by 1Unixfy

Jorbox said: 9/10

What should we do better in order to receive 10/10?

Thanked by 2Falzo Bochi

@time4vps said:

Probably be free. With 'I.T' people, people rarely rate 100%, because it suggest perfection with no room for improvement :-).

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • @randvegeta said:

@time4vps said:

Probably be free. With 'I.T' people, people rarely rate 100%, because it suggest perfection with no room for improvement :-).

This! I don't get why it it like this, though.
    In my eyes, they are one of the providers I am with, that would deserve a straight 10/10 - without hesitating.

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • @Bochi said:

@randvegeta said:

@time4vps said:

In my eyes, they are one of the providers I am with, that would deserve a straight 10/10 - without hesitating.

Agreed. Very happy with the storage box I have with them. Now, if they only got KVM and IPV6...

PS: The node I'm on had a reboot this weekend, but didn't cause any problems for me.

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited September 2016

@Bochi said:

@randvegeta said:

@time4vps said:

From what I gather: OVZ chroot, overzealous rDNS (changes apply jointly to internal hostname too, WTF?!), lack of IPv6 and its kernel modules (even link-local IPv6/tunnels are impossible!). Plus, no [convenient] encryption, which means no one but a fool would store anything of value there - but great if you just backup your precious collection of linux isos, as any employee snooping thru the content of your server is unlikely to cancel your service for "storage of copyrighted material" (see TOS).
    That's definitely room for improvement, feature- and security-wise. It's not all about the price.

Thanked by 1time4vps
    edited September 2016

Shot2 said: overzealous rDNS (changes apply jointly to internal hostname too, WTF?!).

We never received any complaints regarding this point. Why would you like to have different VPS hostname from main IP rDNS entry?

Shot2 said:

• lack of IPv6 and its kernel modules
    • no [convenient] encryption

These points will be briefly covered by our KVM-SSD (oops, a sneak peak to our new plans?) server line. Stay tuned @ https://twitter.com/time4vps

any employee snooping thru the content of your server is unlikely to cancel your service for "storage of copyrighted material"

We have 10 000+ servers. Are you implying that our administrators would go server by server and lookup for a suspicious material? This is at least non-realistic.

Nonetheless you can actually implement pretty decent security from such actions:

https://community.time4vps.eu/discussion/79/tools-to-encrypt-decrypt-and-password-protect-files/p1

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Shot2 said: Plus, no [convenient] encryption, which means no one but a fool would store anything of value there - but great if you just backup your precious collection of linux isos, as any employee snooping thru the content of your server is unlikely to cancel your service for "storage of copyrighted material" (see TOS).

how to use such cheap storage for critical data in a secure way:

simply fill the whole space with a diskimage, maybe deploy it via dd from /dev/urandom for having it filled with random numbers from the beginning.

export this image via xnbd-server which runs on OVZ without problems. maybe restrict the port via iptables to certain IPs for enhanced security.

use xnbd-client on another machine which is not OVZ to connect that image as network block device.

use something like dm-crypt to encrypt that block device, after that create a filesystem on it.

mount it, use it.

all data will be encrypted on client side, the OVZ container will only contain a luks encrypted image. the password for this won't leave the client, there should be no easy way to get to that data, at least not from a memory dump or something like that.

yet you could bind that image to another client if you need to or simply transfer the whole image to another place...

• @randvegeta PM'd

Thanks for the conversation in my thread..I guess :)