Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex Uploader
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex Uploader

AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
edited September 2016 in Help

Does anyone have an application that will sit beside plex for easy upload of content. I occasionally buy a new song here or there. I do -not- want to have to spin up a winscp session, do this and that and upload the file. All I would like is drag and drop and the media is uploaded.

Anyone know of something like this?

-no to:

Samba (server is on the internet, so not the securest of methods).

Comments

• samba?

Thanked by 1AlyssaD
  • @teamacc said:
    samba?

No thanks.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2016

Personally, I run an ownCloud instance on the same server as Plex, point Plex to the ownCloud directories and put the Plex user in the same group as the ownCloud user so there's no permissions clash, dead easy.

• Syncthing.

Thanked by 1AlyssaD
  • @Nekki said:
    Personally, I run an ownCloud instance on the same server as Plex, point Plex to the ownCloud directories and put the Plex user in the same group as the ownCloud user so there's no permissions clash, dead easy.

Beautiful! Plex for the win!

• @Nekki said:

I was thinking about this, but I really don't want to have a copy of the content locally. It is the biggest thing I am trying to avoid.

@ALinuxNinja said:
    Syncthing.

As well as that.

I guess in a way this answers my question that there is no nice uploader script that easily runs alongside plex.

• @Nekki said:

Nice setup.

@AlyssaD said:
    Does anyone have an application that will sit beside plex for easy upload of content. I occasionally buy a new song here or there. I do -not- want to have to spin up a winscp session, do this and that and upload the file. All I would like is drag and drop and the media is uploaded.

Resilio (formerly known as BTSYNC) if you want background syncing on two machines.

I use SFTP Net Drive Free to map a network drive as another option.

Thanked by 1AlyssaD
  • AlyssaD said: I was thinking about this, but I really don't want to have a copy of the content locally. It is the biggest thing I am trying to avoid.

I don't understand what you're trying to do then - where are you trying to move the file from?

Thanked by 1AlyssaD
  • The goal is to have a local copy of the file, upload it, and delete it on the local machine. I have been trying my best to not have a whole copy of my library on a local computer is all.

• AlyssaD said: The goal is to have a local copy of the file, upload it, and delete it on the local machine. I have been trying my best to not have a whole copy of my library on a local computer is all.

Open up your ownCloud in a browser, drag your file into the right directory, then delete it locally.

Thanked by 1AlyssaD
  • @Nekki said:

AlyssaD said: The goal is to have a local copy of the file, upload it, and delete it on the local machine. I have been trying my best to not have a whole copy of my library on a local computer is all.

Open up your ownCloud in a browser, drag your file into the right directory, then delete it locally.

Hmm, that is a good idea. Thanks.

• AlyssaD said: Hmm, that is a good idea. Thanks.

I'm not into storing all my media locally either. Everything's remote these days.

I've been toying with the idea of dumping all my media into hubiC, mounting it via hubiC fuse and pointing Plex at the directories. Similar principle, drag and drop upload via the browser.

• @Nekki said:

AlyssaD said: Hmm, that is a good idea. Thanks.

I'm not into storing all my media locally either. Everything's remote these days.

I've been toying with the idea of dumping all my media into hubiC, mounting it via hubiC fuse and pointing Plex at the directories. Similar principle, drag and drop upload via the browser.

I got tired of all the heat my "home servers" generated for storing all this data I was accumulating. Well worth the cost of colo for the extra cool room when coming home.

• I do the same basic thing, but with Dropbox.

Downloader on VPN downloads it locally, downloader moves it to Dropbox shared directory when finished, file gets uploaded to Dropbox, Dropbox distributes it to Plex server, script on Plex server moves it to Linux Movie ISOs directory if it's a movie, or triggers Sickrage to process the Linux Television ISOs if it's TV. Either system deletes it from Dropbox directory when processed, which then deletes it from Dropbox itself.

I use the headless install at https://dropbox.com/install?os=lnx along with the provided Python script to mount it in the filesystem.

• If you wanted to get a tiny bit crafty, you could easily do this via rsync.

• Debian, thnx

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I've been looking to build a hosted plex solution where you just upload(Drag and drop) or provide a url/magnet to a web interface which then places it in a directory for plex to index. I might just create a bash script to download plex, owncloud, transmission and add a custom plugin for owncloud to allow adding torrents.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2016

@pbgben said:
    I've been looking to build a hosted plex solution where you just upload(Drag and drop) or provide a url/magnet to a web interface which then places it in a directory for plex to index. I might just create a bash script to download plex, owncloud, transmission and add a custom plugin for owncloud to allow adding torrents.

If you're going to do that and intend to use the library functions, you'll need to include logic for renaming as Plex is very particular on how files are named, particularly for TV shows.

Thanked by 2Foul AlyssaD