Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 IP, 2 Nameservers. I just don't get it.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1 IP, 2 Nameservers. I just don't get it.

FreekFreek Member
edited March 2013 in Help

Right, so here's what I am trying to accomplish:
I have 1 IP and I want to setup 2 'custom'/own nameservers like ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com
My registrar does not allow that both nameservers have the same IP. Generally this is a good thing, but I am trying to setup something for test purposes. I am not going to run this in a production environment so you can turn off the alarm sounds.
Problem is that I just don't seem to get how this is supposed to work. I got some help from a nice provider here on LET, but since that service is unmanaged, I don't want to bother him again with my newbie questions.
He advised me to setup nameservers like this: ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.myotherdomain.com. That's fine with me as well.
Problem is I have no idea how. An A record surely doesn't suffice right?
I found this, but is this what I want?
http://support.simpledns.com/KB/a196/how-to-delegate-a-sub-domain-to-other-dns-servers.aspx
If so, how do my DNS records look for mydomain.com?
I am seriously confused.

Thanks.

Comments

• It's called an NS record, Namecheap has a nice little tool for setting nameservers though

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@Freek said: An A record surely doesn't suffice right?

Wrong.

Also you don't even need to use different domains for ns1 and ns2, just make "A" records for ns1 and ns2 on some OTHER domain than the one you want to use them on;
    then add those hostnames on the first domain as NS records, but without specifying the IP (just by hostname).

• Setup your custom NS from your registrar first.
    What your registrar ?

• AndriAndri Member

Rage4 DNS as an option. :D

• You have tell your registrar 2 Name Servers, the RFCs say 2 - I guess some may allow you to set 1 or cheat by making them both the same, but its unlikely.

If the name servers are in the same domain:
    1 - you also need to tell the registrar their IPs, so they can create glue records - without this, nobody will find your domain.
    2 - You also must create matching NS records in your DNS config

If then name servers are in a separate domain, they only need the name.

Once glue is set up you can create A records for www.mydomain.com etc.

Surely you have more than 1 VPS you can use for DNS (or a static IP at home)? If not you'll have to use the registrar's DNS service, or a 3rd party one.

• Rage4 vanity nameserver. :D

• @budingyun said: Rage4 vanity nameserver

great option indeed.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

If we're talking third-party DNS services, there is nothing that beats http://dns.he.net/

• FreekFreek Member

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Appreciate it!

@BronzeByte said: It's called an NS record, Namecheap has a nice little tool for setting nameservers though

Third party NS servers are fine with me too, but I am getting more confused by the minute. How is this supposed with work with some-else's DNS? These questions might sound stupid I know but I just want to make sure I understand this properly

@rm_ said: If we're talking third-party DNS services, there is nothing that beats http://dns.he.net/

@budingyun said: Rage4 vanity nameserver. :D

I've read about vanity nameservers and I understand a little bit better why they could work for me compared to 'regular' nameservers, so this might be an option as well.

@rm_ said: Also you don't even need to use different domains for ns1 and ns2, just make "A" records for ns1 and ns2 on some OTHER domain than the one you want to use them on;

then add those hostnames on the first domain as NS records, but without specifying the IP (just by hostname).

Thanks, done! Let's see how it works out.

@Noerman said: Setup your custom NS from your registrar first.

My registrar does not allow that both glue records/nameservers have the same IP.

• FreekFreek Member

@rm_ said: Wrong.

Also you don't even need to use different domains for ns1 and ns2, just make "A" records for ns1 and ns2 on some OTHER domain than the one you want to use them on;

This worked. I am totally flabbergasted. Sometimes best solutions are the most simple ones..

Thanks!

• You should use cloudflare. It's free has decent opitmization and decent anti-ddos. You just give them the I.P and you're set.

• You just need to fake the ip for the ns2.yourdomain.com
    For e.g suppose your ip is 13.67.167.23 , put a different ip for ns2(even if you didn't brought the ip).2 different ip for ns1 and ns2 means that you have 2 servers and in case ns1 is down , then user get access to site through ns2 server.
    As this is just for testing , you don't need second server
    ns1.yourdomain.com --> 13.67.167.23
    ns2.yourdomain.com --> 13.67.167.24

• @Werulz said: You just need to fake the ip for the ns2.yourdomain.com

Please don't.

• @VPSCorner said: You should use cloudflare. It's free has decent opitmization and decent anti-ddos. You just give them the I.P and you're set.

'Cause they totally foiled the Spamhaus DDoS. :P