Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 Dedicated Core vs 4 Shared Core
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1 Dedicated Core vs 4 Shared Core

DumbledoreDumbledore Member
edited September 2016 in Help

I am wondering if 4 Shared cores will bring better performance than having 1 dedicated core for a cPanel Server.

Kindly help by providing your opinion.

Comments

• depend on how many user share a dedicated core. The more user share it, the performance getting lower. My opinion is go with dedicated core.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • @stolipeach said:

4 Shared cores will bring better performance than having 1 dedicated core for a cPanel Server.

You'll hands down be better off with shared CPU cores rather than a single dedicated core, assuming it's not massively over committed.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Dedicated should mean....dedicated >_>

Francisco

• Francisco said: Dedicated should mean....dedicated

and core should mean core ^^

• @admsam said:
    depend on how many user share a dedicated core. The more user share it, the performance getting lower. My opinion is go with dedicated core.

@Francisco said:
    Dedicated should mean....dedicated >_>

Francisco

He's saying just that, just a bit weirdly: he talks about shared cores, where multiple users share a (dedicated) core. Last sentence is about non-shared cores.

Technically all cores are dedicated before they are shared :P

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • depends on the cores used.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • Depends on the core usage too.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Depends if the core is used or new.

Oh wait actually it doesn't. nvm.

Thanked by 3Falzo netomx TheOnlyDK
  • DumbledoreDumbledore Member
    edited September 2016

Thanks everyone for your input. Last week I switched from a 4 Dedicated core (E5-2620) server to a ½ Core Dedicated core (E3-1270 v3) server. Now I see performance degradation on serving pages and daily backup is taking 2.5 Hours to complete (15 Mts on previous server ). So should I upgrade to 1 dedicated core server or switch to 4 shared core server. Here is my CPU usage on new server.

• @stolipeach said:
    Thanks everyone for your input. Last week I switched from a 4 Dedicated core (E5-2620) server to a ½ Core Dedicated core (E3-1270 v3) server. Now I see performance degradation on serving pages and daily backup is taking 2.5 Hours to complete (15 Mts on previous server ). So should I upgrade to 1 dedicated core server or switch to 4 shared core server. Here is my CPU usage on new server.

Switch to a quad core ARM processor next. More bang for buck, and lol worthy, as an added bonus.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • From my previous experiences with cPanel, a 2 core (shared at least) VM can often be required for things that cPanel does from time to time. You will probably be better off with 4 shared cores at a reliable provider who does not oversell as if there is no tomorrow compared to 1 dedicated and fast core.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • Amitz said: You will probably be better off with 4 shared cores at a reliable provider

Can you recommend any providers. I prefer a US KVM server.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2016

I am located in Europe and therefore not too knowledgable about US providers. But people like RamNode, BuyVM and LunaNode (for example) have always been very popular here. I am sure that others can provide more and better advice when it comes to reliable US hosts. The last Top Provider Poll on LET may also be helpful for your decision:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/75079/provider-poll-results/p1

When it came to fully managed cPanel VPS hosting, WiredTree and KnownHost have always been very good to me in the US. But both use Virtuozzo which is based on OVZ and not KVM.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Amitz said:

I am located in Europe and therefore not too knowledgable about US providers. But people like RamNode, BuyVM and LunaNode (for example) have always been very popular here. I am sure that others can provide more and better advice when it comes to reliable US hosts. The last Top Provider Poll on LET may also be helpful for your decision:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/75079/provider-poll-results/p1

When it came to fully managed cPanel VPS hosting, WiredTree and KnownHost have always been very good to me in the US. But both use Virtuozzo which is based on OVZ and not KVM.

I've used both WT and KnownHost for more than 1 year. They got excellent support .

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

WiredTree doesn't suck but I switched to liquidweb and it's far better!

• @shovenose said:
    WiredTree doesn't suck but I switched to liquidweb and it's far better!

But aren't they also way more expensive? Am on mobile now and cannot take a look...

• Amitz said: BuyVM,KnownHost

Knownhost was my previous provider before vps.net and buyvm is my current provider. Sadly Buyvm replaced their shared core plans with dedicated ones.

shovenose said: liquidweb

It's expensive. $139/mo for a 4 GB server.

• I luv qemu-kvm :D

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited September 2016

@stolipeach said:
    I am wondering if 4 Shared cores will bring better performance than having 1 dedicated core for a cPanel Server.

Kindly help by providing your opinion.

The SSDNodes.com 4GB package gets a lot of power with its 4 cores, I think it would suit your needs well. And it's within LET price ;)

[root@ssdn ~]# wget zqc.ca/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1660 v3 @ 3.00GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  2999.829 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 4096 MB
    Total amount of swap :  MB
    System uptime :   13:20,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 67.0MB/s 
    Download speed from OVH, Montreal, Canada: 105MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Toronto, Canada: 54.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Choopa, Piscataway, USA: 99.2MB/s 
    Download speed from Dacentec, Lenoir, USA: 37.7MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Orlando, USA: 9.08MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Dallas, USA: 25.3MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, San Francisco, USA: 20.3MB/s 
    Download speed from QuadraNET, LA, USA: 19.5MB/s 
    Download speed from OVH, Roubaix, FR: 9.70MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Frankfurt, DE: 13.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Redstation, London, UK: 22.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.54MB/s 
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem: 23.4MB/s 
    10 Gbps Download speed from Atlanta, Ga: 44.2MB/s 
    I/O speed :  1.1 GB/s

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/314645

https://lowendbox.com/blog/ssdnodes-openvz-ssd-vps-starting-at-30year-dallas-tx-montreal-ca/

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • afaik buyvm's slices are not limiting your cpu frequency at this moment. Maybe tag @francisco to shed some light onto this?

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Backups will likely be heavier on CPU so I can see that slowing you down some if you're using something that's doing a lot of compression.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited September 2016

yashmaudhoo said: I've used both WT and KnownHost for more than 1 year. They got excellent support .

Amitz said: When it came to fully managed cPanel VPS hosting, WiredTree and KnownHost have always been very good to me in the US. But both use Virtuozzo which is based on OVZ and not KVM.

Glad to hear you are happy with our services! :)

• It always depends on the usage of the ones you're sharing the CPU with if they are most likely abusing or the cores are overloaded then I'd go for one dedicated core instead of four shared cores.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • one dedicated core if me.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Go with a low-end dedicated and be done with overcommitted resource issues. Tons of options on these forums for dedis that cost less than most VMs.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • Dedicated core will be dedicated, but it will depend on frequency on what will work on it. But dedicated core is more better than shared. Shared core is not stable sometime and varies frequency.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore