Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bandwidth calculation on Amazon EC2?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bandwidth calculation on Amazon EC2?

bigcatbigcat Member
edited March 2013 in General

I've always use vnstat to measure traffic on any of my server but recently I have problem with Amazon EC2 bandwidth usage. I only have 1 interface(eth0) so I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything. vnstat reported that I use ~30GB/month but Amazon billed me for ~160GB of bandwidth for EC2. I create new ticket with them and here's their reply.

Am I using the wrong tool(vnstat) here or is there something wrong on Amazon side? What do you think?

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited March 2013

Hi,

Try the following:

netstat -i

or

ifconfig

You can also try installing something called "bandwidthd" but the 2 above should work too.

Let me know if you need further information.

• @Ishaq said: ifconfig

I thought this will reset every time you reboot the machine?

• bigcatbigcat Member
    edited March 2013

@Ishaq said: Try the following:

Tried both and it gave same reading as vnstat. Check here. vnstat --top10 command give me this reading just now.

I can't get the initial bandwidth usage anymore as after the ticket reply by Amazon staff, my vnstat reading suddenly rose to ~220GB.

Here's my vnstat reading when I first report the issue.
    vnstat link
    vnstat --top10 link

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited March 2013

However you look at it, you've transmitted nearly 19GB of data.. meaning you're around 3 GB over the limit which is why they charged you.

The Amazon free tier is limited to 15GB outgoing and unlimited incoming.

TX is outgoing, and RX is incoming. T for transmitting and R for receiving.

I would show them the screenshots before and after, because I highly doubt you can transmit 200GB+ of data in under 1 day. It's strange for sure.

Also, what's the output of ifconfig -l

Good luck.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@zhuanyi said: I thought this will reset every time you reboot the machine?

I don't think so.

I believe the only way it gets reset is by reloading the network driver module.

• @Ishaq said: However you ..look at it, you've transmitted nearly 19GB of data.. meaning you're around 3 GB over the limit which is why they charged you.

Yup, I know that I'm just baffled on where they get the 200GB+ number from. Even stranger, it shows on their billing first while my vnstat shows nothing.

@Ishaq said: output

I got this error : ifconfig: option `-l' not recognised.

• OK never mind, Amazon admit mistakes on their part

They cancel the billing altogether, on top of the free credit they give earlier

• IshaqIshaq Member

Glad you got it worked out.

• kalamkalam Member

This is why you should monitor and log bandwidth usage yourself as well. Glad it worked out for you @bigcat.