Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

::ffff:192.168.0.xx, destination unreachable
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

::ffff:192.168.0.xx, destination unreachable

Steve81Steve81 Member
edited March 2013 in Help

Hello,
on my shiny little box from inception hosting (the one with 64mb of ram, 1 private ipv4 natted and 5x ipv6) I want to telnet my lan ip (192.168.0.xx) with the ipv6 mapping.
If I do:

telnet ::ffff:192.168.0.xx PORT

it works, but if I specify an address:

telnet -b BOX-IPv6-Address ::ffff:192.168.0.xx PORT

I obtain "destination unreachable".

Someone can give me a clue?

Thanks

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2013

telnet :s ooh eerr

Not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve, you have set up a telnet server (For some reason) and then made it listen on one of the pre allocated port numbers and now you cant reach it?

Or you have some other service running on xxxx port and you are using telnet to test connectivity?

• @AnthonySmith said: Or you have some other service running on xxxx port and you are using telnet to test connectivity?

This.

I'm trying to track why my irc bouncer (ipv6, that make only ipv6 connections) get destination unreachable when I try to connect to a local service with the ipv4 mapping.

As I said the problem only appear when I specify a source IPv6 address; I suppose that I miss some routing rules, but I didn't understood which one.

• @Steve81 said: telnet -b BOX-IPv6-Address ::ffff:192.168.0.xx PORT

You want to use an IPv4 address with the IPv6 protocol.

• @hostingwizard_net said: You want to use an IPv4 address with the IPv6 protocol.

That's the meaning of ::ffff:0:0/96, AFAIK. ;)

• Yes, except I think that even though it's IPv4 mapped over IPv6, you have to use colons rather than periods:

::ffff:192:168:0:xx PORT
  • @DStrout said: Yes, except I think that even though it's IPv4 mapped over IPv6, you have to use colons rather than periods:

No. You CAN use colons only if you convert the IPv4 in hex (for example for ::ffff:192.168.0.1 can be converted in ::ffff:c0a8:0001); but is not mandatory.