Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reliably measure traffic on a linux box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reliably measure traffic on a linux box

chrispchrisp Member
edited March 2013 in General

How do you measure your traffic consumption in a very reliable way? I used vnstat before, but it turned out that it didn't count everything. SolusVM unfortunately has no notification option that I know of.
In the end I would like to receive an email/tweet/sms when a certain amount of traffic is reached.

Cheers,
chrisp

Comments

• @ChrisP

vnstat has always been pretty accurate for me, maybe there's an option or man vnstat that can help you out to get it to report everything.

• I know some datacenters will measure data usage by IP address, and I've found that very accurate (I use it over SolusVM's bandwidth monitoring), but only some do it.

vnstat is the most accurate you're going to get in OpenVZ.

• @MrAndroid yeah SolusVM indeed is pretty accurate, but unfortunately it cannot send out event based notifications ("Hey watch out, you used up 80% of your monthly traffic").
    Also I use KVM. Would that give me better possibilities?

• cacti or something similar should do the trick.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited March 2013

ifconfig -A | grep "Link|addr|Bytes" -P

It resets on reboot tho.