Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Respun content on LowEndBox? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Respun content on LowEndBox?

2»

Comments

• mpkossen said: I'm sad to see this still happening. It's just so unnecessary and it's easy to prevent.

Not really. Aside from manual review of the content quality (not what I'd consider 'easy' since it requires equal to or greater experience by the reviewer), there's how well the content is spun and then the likes of copyscape and similar tools, if they have a copy of it and if they decide that they're similar documents.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

@mpkossen said:
    As a side node: the styling is quite bad on the mentioned post. It's exactly how it arrived in a Word document. It takes like 10 minutes to fix that.

I wish. Maybe you're better at it than me or I screwed it up with an update. The Wordpress editor does not visually reveal how the final post will look, and you have to make crappy adjustments to make it work. For example, to have a single empty line between two paragraphs sometimes you can hit enter twice like normal, other times you have to do three or more times to get a double space instead with the only working alternative being no space.

It's part of the reason I had trouble posting tutorials in reasonable time frames and had to admit my inability to handle it all myself. It was taking me an hour or more to post an already written tutorial.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @jarland said:

impossiblystupid said: You are awful.

I mean as long as it's stated up front. No one has to take him up on it. As long as you're up front and honest about it, totally up to someone else if it looks like something worth their time. If not, no harm no foul.

You, too, are being an awful person. Please just stop and think about a world where every jackass thinks they have the right to make "up front" demands of your time for every little fantasy they have. It's the kind of shit women have to put up with all the time, for subject matter much worse. You make the whole world a terrible place when you act that way, actually doing the maximum amount of harm possible.

So, no. If you really want a person to do a job, hire them to do it and pay them well. If they do a shitty job, fire them and hire someone else. Stop supporting this childish "you first" approach to business. This has me thinking I should just leave LET, because going down this path makes it the kind of community I don't want to be a part of.

edited September 2016

@impossiblystupid said:
    You, too, are being an awful person. Please just stop and think about a world where every jackass thinks they have the right to make "up front" demands of your time for every little fantasy they have. It's the kind of shit women have to put up with all the time, for subject matter much worse. You make the whole world a terrible place when you act that way, actually doing the maximum amount of harm possible.

So, no. If you really want a person to do a job, hire them to do it and pay them well. If they do a shitty job, fire them and hire someone else. Stop supporting this childish "you first" approach to business. This has me thinking I should just leave LET, because going down this path makes it the kind of community I don't want to be a part of.

You're really being over dramatic. No one is approaching people and making demands of them. This is IF someone here wants to randomly submit shit and no one has any idea if they're good or not. IF you WANT to submit content, no one is going to promise you money but it will gladly be reviewed and considered. If you want a more substantial agreement, get in contact and have samples of your writing available. If you want neither, don't submit content, don't ask for money. No demands are made of you. Absolutely no one is saying that all writers content will be requested and reviewed to determine if it will be paid (though high effort and skill may be treated as more valuable). You are making wrong assumptions and taking things out of context to create drama, and offensively connecting it to your perception of the plight of women in society.

I'm going to cut that off there. You're clearly having a bad day, I highly suggest taking a break. If you feel like leaving over it, I will not be standing in your way.

Now, let us be done with that discussion. I'm tired of drama for the sake of drama.

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited September 2016

jarland said: I wish. Maybe you're better at it than me or I screwed it up with an update.

I guess I am :-) No offense, but it's not that difficult.

Also: save as draft + preview post works wonders :-)

BTW, I'm willing to fix this one post for you guys, free of charge.

Thanked by 1Inglar
  • impossiblystupid said: Stop supporting this childish "you first" approach to business.

No one is putting a gun to anyone's head. There's no gainful employment offer here.

impossiblystupid said:This has me thinking I should just leave LET

Later.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

jarland said: The Wordpress editor does not visually reveal how the final post will look

What kind of sorry excuse for a WYSIWYG are they using -_-

Francisco

Francisco said: What kind of sorry excuse for a WYSIWYG are they using -_-

I think it's something with the theme+WP version or something. It's the basic editor. Basically I have to take this entire thing that pastes in terribly, identify every single point that needs re-formatting, and then try 6 or 7 different ways to format it that are acceptable until one of them actually comes out in the preview looking like what I did in the editor. Rarely is it just "Hit enter twice, make header larger+bold."

• @impossiblystupid said:

@jbiloh said:
    I don't want to cause you to spin your wheels and waste time. I am sure what you produce will be great. Can I give you a "yes" no matter what? Of course not.

Put something solid together and it'll get posted and you'll put some cash in your pocket.

You are awful.

You are deluded. Do you think first time novelists dont have to do exactly this - submit again and again? Do you think freelancers dotn often start out cold submitting? Do you think the rest of the world just waits for someone to offer them a job?

• @jarland said:

Francisco said: What kind of sorry excuse for a WYSIWYG are they using -_-

I think it's something with the theme+WP version or something. It's the basic editor. Basically I have to take this entire thing that pastes in terribly, identify every single point that needs re-formatting, and then try 6 or 7 different ways to format it that are acceptable until one of them actually comes out in the preview looking like what I did in the editor. Rarely is it just "Hit enter twice, make header larger+bold."

Oh come on. Paste it in Sublime Text first, then to WP. Fix all the code snippets by making them block quotes and you're basically done.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited September 2016

mycosys said: Do you think the rest of the world just waits for someone to offer them a job?

Don't you just love millennials? Things are deserved, not earned. Then, if all else fails, scream loudly about how it's not fair.

edited September 2016

mpkossen said: Oh come on. Paste it in Sublime Text first, then to WP. Fix all the code snippets by making them block quotes and you're basically done.

Tried pasting it in plain text and then back in, some things still just don't work as you expect them to. The hardest part for me was:

Paragraph

Header

Paragraph

I can almost never get the expected behavior with the empty line between the paragraph and the header. It ends up like:

Paragraph
    Header
    Paragraph

Even using old fashioned HTML line breaks. I'm not exactly new to Wordpress, this isn't a normal problem. I'd have probably stripped the install to it's core and built it back up but that's not within my access.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

jarland said: this isn't a normal problem

...cluster error?

Francisco

Thanked by 1jar

Francisco said: ...cluster error?

Quite frankly.... possible. If it's not a low-latency master-master setup then it's quite possible I tripped over the cluster repeatedly.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Maybe someone should submit a tutorial on how to set up a low latency master<>master cluster :)

• @jarland said:
    You're really being over dramatic. No one is approaching people and making demands of them.

You're just not getting it. It's about the overall climate of a world that thinks nothing of stealing away your life 5 seconds at a time just because they think they can. It's the mentality that produces the worst advertising and spam I see. Bully for you if you never experience it. If you want to, just go to try and find "gig" work online at the sort of sites where the kind of respun content being discussed here comes from. It's not about "drama" is about the overhead of finding quality work that actually pays a fair wage. We already got into this a bit when you were looking for MXroute help.

This is IF someone here wants to randomly submit shit and no one has any idea if they're good or not.

Again, why not instead run a business with intention? Why sit and wait around for people to submit shit randomly? Is that the kind of company ColoCrossing wishes to present itself as? People are here writing about things every day. Pick one and hire them to write an article. Spec work is a race to the bottom.

If you want neither, don't submit content, don't ask for money. No demands are made of you.

Again, you're just not getting it. Demands are made of everyone's time when schemes like this are promoted. It represents a friction in the system, so less productive work gets done overall, and it gets done more poorly. If ColoCrossing continues to willfully ignore this reality, continue to enjoy your respun content, I guess.

• @mycosys said:
    You are deluded. Do you think first time novelists dont have to do exactly this - submit again and again? Do you think freelancers dotn often start out cold submitting? Do you think the rest of the world just waits for someone to offer them a job?

Time to put the shoe on the other foot. Do you think everyone, including you, should do their work for free? Do you think experienced freelancers go running after every shallow job prospect? Do you think quality writers send submissions off to every basement publication that gets cranked out?

What kind of content is LEB looking for? If your kind, they're apparently already getting it. If my kind, they need to follow a different process.

• @impossiblystupid said:

@mycosys said:

Time to put the shoe on the other foot. Do you think everyone, including you, should do their work for free? Do you think experienced freelancers go running after every shallow job prospect? Do you think quality writers send submissions off to every basement publication that gets cranked out?

What kind of content is LEB looking for? If your kind, they're apparently already getting it. If my kind, they need to follow a different process.

I bet you're a Bernie Bro

edited September 2016

This is why we can't have nice things. This thread was not for you to rewrite the business plan for LEB. If you believe the place makes enough money to be a consultant, ask for a job. If no one bites, they don't want it.

I asked nicely for that conversation to be over. Congrats on not being able to control yourself. You know where you can continue it unopposed, The Cest Pit.

Closed not because of source material, but because of annoying off topic arguing. If it offends the OP, I'll clean up the thread and reopen it.

Thanked by 1GCat
This discussion has been closed.